Gainward GTX580 - GOOD edition, it's quiet apparently.

Sikpupi

Limp Gawd
No it bloody well aint!!
After a few seconds of gaming the fans ramp up to ear splitting level, transporting me back to 2006 and my first Xbox360. At least I can't hear the wifes hairdryer when I have got it on.

Is this supposed to be normal? All the reviews bang on about how quiet it is, WTF?

• Check temperatures and the fan speed profile. It's unlikely, but the profile might be too aggressive. If it's maxing at 50* C but sounds like a hair drier, I'd let it relax some.
  • I've heard about several other people complain about thermal problems using the P180 Mini, but my memory could be off.

In other words, examine the situation to receive food for thought.

What temperature does it hang about at when gaming and also what percentage is the fan speed at?

I dont care if my card fan sounds like a freaking helicopter flying off.

If it keeps everything cool, I simply put headphones and no more helicopter. :D

Thanks for the replies gents, it's in an open box right now with plenty of airflow so I don't see why it goes so loud.
What program can I use to manipulate fan speeds and stuff?

EDIT: -Ok I found the stuff, it goes up to 64c within a minute or two of playing (dirt3) then the fan goes up to around 60% power, then I have to do something else :(

Last edited:
Use Afterburner so it hangs around 80c when under heavy load but with a smooth ramp up from idle.

Just thought I would update, I returned the card to the store and bought the Asus 6950 CU II instead.

Much better and a bit of cash left over also ;)

I dont care if my card fan sounds like a freaking helicopter flying off.

If it keeps everything cool, I simply put headphones and no more helicopter. :D

More power to you if you have closed back cans, but mine are open back, and a loud radial fan is a nuisance to me (such as HD 4850, HD 6970, stuff like that, the 6950 is supposed to be quieter, especially OP's Asus :cool:).

Last edited:
Back