Gah...VM firewall ethernet 0 issues...

Angry

Limp Gawd
Im having issues in vmware workstation.

Im trying to create a virtual network for a couple of testing XP and Win7 VM's,...

I want to build a VM router, Ive tried pfsense and DD-WRT x86.
The problem is, neither of them will pick up an IP address from VMnet0. VMnet0 is bridged to the host machines NIC, with Vmwares own DHCP service active so any VM that is connected to VMnet0 gets an IP address. I know it works, if I assign any of the windows VMs to VMnet0 they get internet access.

Neither pfsense or DD-wrt do. They act like the link is completely inactive between them and Vnet0. I cant even finish the pfsense install.

Yet, the DD-wrt VM, that keeps complaing about no link at VMnet0, will assign out IPs to the Windows VMs that are on the second vitrual NIC interface, VMnet1...I can actually go into DD-wrt from the windows VMs, but it of course has no internet activity. Yet any other VM thats set to VMnet0 does...

Thoughts on what Im doing wrong?,
Ive googled that both pfsense and DD-WRT x86 virtual machines have worked. Granted, pfsense's tutorial deals with physical NICs dedicated to a VM, but that shouldnt matter if Im wanting to put the VMs behind the router VM.

Also under Virtual Network editor.
Vmnet0 is set to NAT. No host connection, but with DHCP enabled.
All other VMnets are set to host only. (virtual switches)

:edit:
Just Restored to defaults in Network editor with no go...
97284204.jpg

DD-wrt x86 VM config:
Nic1 set to VMnet1
Nic2 set to VMnet2

WinXp Vm1 Config:
Nic1 set to VMnet2

The WinXP VM gets an IP from the DD-WRT VM just fine.
However it still has no internet since the DD-WRT VM net still complains about no interface on ethernet0. (VMnet1)

Last edited:
So I decided to try to eliminate trying it in VMwares virtual network.

I took the EXACT same cards out of the PC that Ive been using for DD-WRT x86 that Im trying to eliminate as it has power supply issues.

Card 1 that was hooked up to the cable modem is still hooked up to the came modem. That NIC is bridged(connect direct to external network, which is the modem) to VMnet0, which is NIC #1 in the Vm DD-WRT.

Card 2 that was hooked into the network switch in same DD-WRT PC is still hooked up to the network switch. Bridged to VMnet1, which is the second NIC in the VM DD-wrt.

The DD-WRT VM still complains about no process at Eth0. Eth1 is working, I can get to the fresh DD-WRT install from any machine plugged into the switch.

What is going on?

Errrrr.....

The smoothwall Vmware Image does the exact same thing...

Woot!!!! I GOT IT!!!

I threw both extra NICs in my main rig, copied over the DD-wrt VM and bridged the appropriate cards to the right connections (total of 3 nics) voila it started working after I turned off everything except the VMware bridge protocal under the NICs properties thats connected to the cable modem.

Something is screwy on my server that I was originally using to virtualize DD-WRT on in VMware. Its been having scvhost.exe crashes. Going to be reformating it tonight.

Networking is quite clever, why are you bridging NICs (even if they are virtual) at all?

Well, the DD-WRT x86 wouldnt get any info from the cable modem unless I bridged it to a physical NIC and turned off all the protocols under that NICs properties except for the VMware Bridge Protocol.

Otherwise, the DD-WRt x86 VM would complain "Eth:0 No Process"...

And the reason for the second NIC, is because I need it to feed back out to a physical switch for the PCs in my house. So I went ahead and dedicated a 2nd physical card to the DD-WRT VM. That one I left alone under properties and it is working properly.

Maybe a pic will explain better..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

VMnet3 is bridged to the NIC going to the cable modem.
VMnet4 is bridged to the NIC going to the physical switch. (An old Cisco)

All other VMs beside the DD-WRT VM connect to VMnet4 and show up on my network along with the physical PCs.

I could actually unbridge the VMnet0 adapter since its going to the physical switch. If I could somehow connect host computer (My server that Ill be throwing all this on instead of my main rig) to VMnet4 that would save me one NIC and one physical CAT5e going out to the switch...in other words, 2 cables to the server instead of 3.

Last edited:
I take that back, Win7 is picking up the internet off the NIC that is going to the physical switch.
VMnet04...basicly.....which makes sense, its acting a virtual switch.

Back