GAH. Can't upgrade Vista Ultimate to 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

meatfestival

[H]ard|Gawd
This is lame. A clean install is not worth the hassle at the moment as I will be building a new rig soon.

Is there any way I can fool it into thinking I'm running a lower edition of Vista?

Why the hell did I buy Vista Ultimate :rolleyes:

I have not tried installing yet but I'm in the same boat. Didn't read up before buying the upgrade version and now see that I can't upgrade from Ultimate to 7 Pro.

you either have to own a equal or lesser Vista CD-Key or upgrade the Win 7 to match. apples to apples

Anyone find a way around it? I know you're fine from a licensing standpoint but the installer won't allow it by default. I have a relative who wants to go from XP to Win 7 Home Premium, but not do a clean install if possible so as to avoid redoing all his programs and having to back up files. He owns Vista Ultimate so my idea was for him to upgrade to that first, then upgrade to Win 7... but this edition conflict puts a roadblock on that one.

I'm in the exact same boat. This is so lame. There has to be a way around this...

Do you have a windows 7 rc copy?
You can install on top of that, I have done it on my machines.

You can still get 7rc keys from microsoft too, although you cannot download the install disk anymore.

I just made an iso out of my .edu download. I took that and installed it on a fresh hdd, used my key, activated, and am typing from it right now.

Shouldn't matter as long as you do a fresh "custom" install.

That totally sucks, I had Windows Vista Ultimate Full version which I gave to a friend, I told him he probably could just get Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade version. Now I have to tell him that's not the case. Darn it!

Damn, you guys just saved my ass thanks. I have Vista Ultimate as well and was going to get the Home Premium.

I am in a similar problem, but I am going from Vista Home Prem x64 to W7 Professional x64 because I have to make sure I can connect to my schools's network. Will the fresh install work for this as well?

i would say yes, seeing as i did it with no previous os.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I am in a similar problem, but I am going from Vista Home Prem x64 to W7 Professional x64 because I have to make sure I can connect to my schools's network. Will the fresh install work for this as well?

Had the same situation on a laptop.

Here's what I did.

Installed Win7 Home Premium 64-bit over Vista Home Prem 64-bit
Upgraded to W7 Pro 64-bit

The Upgrade to W7 Pro doesn't take long at all.

You only need 1 install DVD to do this, just need to delete the ei.cfg and burn the ISO.

Back