Gabe Newell to Talk Tues

TfCtTsb.png

Reddit people are crazy LOL

0uCyug4.jpg

predicting a bunch of outdated memes, no game announcements, and another half-assed attempt at getting SteamOS installed on more people's PC's.

Even though Reddit is a meaningful crowd I don't think he'll use that platform to announce a new game.
It's going to be a PAX or EGX or something big..

The announcement will be that they are halfway done counting the money that Steam makes them, and will be devoting more people to the project to get it done.

I seriously don't get it. He knows with absolute certainty he's just going to be bombarded with HL3 questions. What's the point of even doing this? They're not even doing enough now days to justify them even talking about what they're not doing.

lol j/k I be like ...

chairflip.gif

Last edited:
I seriously don't get it. He knows with absolute certainty he's just going to be bombarded with HL3 questions. What's the point of even doing this? They're not even doing enough now days to justify them even talking about what they're not doing.

He was asked, so it's good PR. As for the HL3 questions, I'm sure they'll come, but he'll most likely give a non answer. Something like "We're definitely considering Half Life 3, Portal 3, Left for Dead 3, etc., but we'd want to make sure it would live up to our high standards."

I'm not expecting anything good from Valve or Gabe these days so don't get to excited what he has to say tomorrow because we will most likely end up disappointed. Such a talented developer gone to waste over the last few years.

The internet will break if HL3 ever actually happens.

Half of Life = 40? years, Half of 3 = 1.5, 1.5 x 40 = 60, 60 days until March 18th, the birthday of Queen Latifah, Queen Latifah does the voice of Ellie in Ice Age: The Meltdown, Meltdown = broken internet, HL3 confirmed.

Do people actually think he will say anything at a lame ask me anything reddit ? lmao keep dreaming :p hl3 is dead get over it

I would love for HL3 to tie in with Portal. Gravity gun + portal gun. The jump challenges are mind boggling. As are the opportunities for COOP. /Dream.
Spoiler: They do tie in together, if you play to the end of Ep 2.

I think he meant in terms of gameplay, not lore ;).

That said, not sure how they could pull it off, doesn't seem to be enough buttons to handle it in a way that feels natural.

Honestly, the portal gun already functions as the gravity gun, other than the ability to throw items. Which seems like it could be added without much issue.

Happening now.

Gaben said:
We are continuing to use Source 2 as our primary game development environment. Aside from moving Dota 2 to the engine recently, we are are using it as the foundation of some unannounced products. We would like to have everyone working on games here at Valve to eventually be using the same engine. We also intend to continue to make the Source 2 engine work available to the broad developer community as we go, and to make it available free of charge.

200_s.gif

Also:

Gaben said:
Q: Any chance of a new IP that takes place in the half-life/portal universe? I feel like there's a lot of story left to be explored there. Thanks!

A: Yep.

gRELasH.png

Someone asked about Ricochet and it's future with VR. Gabe didn't take the bait. HL3 unconfirmed.

I bet Source 2 games will looks sweet.
I'm not convinced. Source has never been a graphic powerhouse. It looked OK when it came out but it was more about the physics, IMO.

I see Source 2 having enhanced VR support like Source 1 had enhanced physics.

Not to be a downer but: (oh, who are we kidding, pessimism is fun!)

"unannounced products" ...could mean they are never even started

"Any chance?" ... "yep" ...could mean a 0.0000000001% chance

Not to be a downer but: (oh, who are we kidding, pessimism is fun!)

"unannounced products" ...could mean they are never even started

"Any chance?" ... "yep" ...could mean a 0.0000000001% chance

I'll put a bit more faith in the "unannounced products" bit. That implies to me that it's something that at the very least is planned, even if it's not in active development.

"Any chance" on the other hand, is nothing tangible. All that confirms is that haven't written off that universe. It has zero implication that something is being actively worked on.

Gabe said that he was more hands on during HL development. Now days Valve is run where you basically work on whatever project you want and leadership does not make you do anything particular. HL3 getting made is going to be based on the employees wanting to do it when the tech gets to a point where it would make sense for HL. They will never be told to do it.

This model would not work for any other company. It only works because Valve has Steam's revenue to fall back on. I doubt they could pay their bills with just their own game/hardware sales.

Oh yes, but I want to play the tie ins not read about it or see the missing ship :)

I think he meant in terms of gameplay, not lore ;).

That said, not sure how they could pull it off, doesn't seem to be enough buttons to handle it in a way that feels natural.

Very true,

I once thought that it would be neat for them to get the second gun from the ship but it only has limited power or they find plans for things / realize the power that built the tool may have something that can help them so they have to go to Aperture.
Since they are a group they can bypass a few things and boot up the computer to help get what they need while the enemies attack and go through the same situation. Mixing gravity, portals, Glados and the combine would make for interesting jump puzzles and rushed situations with multiple ways to solve them as a single player or in COOP. Perhaps some testers are alive for some adventures and your messing with Glados sets in motion Chell coming around the second time.

After escaping through a few chambers (perhaps glados helps after she is adjusted to scan the surface / what is happening) the resistance trigger "something" in the Aperture arsenal that closes the portals or something but good ol' freeman gets pulled through. The blast or discharge of energy trips all of glados's breakers shutting her down and wiping the memory.

I know that comes over as forced but I'm sure they could link them with more SCIENCE! or a need. Would not want it to be the bulk of the game but the competition would probably have some useful things stored away that would help in a fight beyond just the portal gun and it opens new avenues of fun and action.

------

Back on topic it was an interesting Q/A session. I liked some of their reasoning for NOT communicating as brought up but they really do need to engage more in at least acknowledging issues, complaints concerns and customer service issues. If you want to stay tight lipped about patching, development and things of that nature great.

Back