Gabe Newell says Linux is the future of gaming, new hardware to come out

I'm not mad nor angry. I never got a chance to use the "old" plugin anyway. All I know is the new plugin sucks because Amazon doesn't officially support XBMC which is Amazon's fault, not XBMC.

Saying I have no entitlement to be mad about a solution that worked fine and then stopped working because of Amazon's changes is dumb. I have an opinion and a right to express it.

Lets call the app you say Amazon 'broke' App 1; lets say Amazon came out with an app for XBMC themselves, and call it App2.

If App1 worked, but broke 2 months after App2 was released and App 2 kept working....should Amazon be responsible for App1 then as well as App2? Or not, because it isn't their app to begin with?

I understand you want an Amazon plugin - but your argument is equal to someone sold you a hand built car with a Ford sticker slapped on the side of it, and being mad at Ford when they tell you it's not an actual Ford and therefor not their responsibility to support/make sure it works.

Now, if you wanted to be upset there were no legit Fords for sale in your area - that's a different complaint - and like I said, keep on complaining to them then.

You have the right to be mad at whoever you want - for whatever reason - that doesn't automatically make it right/justified/above logic or reason or criticism.

A year later.

True, but faster than the HL1. That went to PS2 3 years later.

Edit: Also, at that time, not all PC shooters moved over to console, and if they did, it wasn't right away. That is a much more recent occurrence. HL2 required Steam registration and that was a big issue at the time, no one really bitched about it being a platform exclusive. Steam was also not nearly as solid then, adding to the online complaints.

Without the front end, it isn't much of an HTPC. :p

Amazon should work with XBMC, having a dozen + apps can make UI navigation a hassle with a remote.

If XBMC doesn't want to strike up deals with whatever companies to meet whatever requirements they have to enable said companies to create/support an app on the XBMC platform - then you should be equally mad at XBMC as well. It's XBMC's job to draw users to the XBMC platform - not Amazon's or Netflix's or whomever's.

If XBMC doesn't want to strike up deals with whatever companies to meet whatever requirements they have to enable them to create/support an app on the XBMC platform - then you should be equally mad at them as well.

Yea. The frustrating thing is that XBMC is the closest thing we have to an ideal front end, yet still lacks support from quite a few companies and media congomerates. Valve may help change that, or take over where XBMC fails.

You are making this conversation way too damn complicated.

Answer this.

Why did App1 stop working in the first place? Because Amazon made changes that prevented it. This is no one's fault but Amazon's. Still.

You are making this conversation way too damn complicated.

Answer this.

Why did App1 stop working in the first place?

Because the developer of app1 'hacked/slapped' together app1 and therefore it should have never been working; or even existed in the first place. Can't be surprised/upset or when something that shouldn't even exist stops working like it never should have to begin with.

Anothes Linux os from Valve...
Honestly doesent sound realy it is a competition for Windows. Sounds more like a competition for Android (and systens to connect on your TV to play games), Apple TV, Nvidia Shield and this kind of stuff.

SteamOS is clear an OS made for play games and watch entertaianement (and the fact that valve say they need and are optimizing linux for gaming show that Linux still have a long way to go for gamming good as Windows).

For me an OS should be an OS. Not a "gamming and media hub", it should be a system where you can do all you need, can, must and dont even imagine you could before you try.

Linux usualy does offer it. But Android systens alike (such as SteamBox sound to be) realy sound limited in comparison to Windows.

I dont put much faith on it to kill or dent Windows... again sound like it is aimed to a diferent market then the home desktop PC (a media "pc"/TV it sound to be). But will be a sucess i preditc.

About HL3. Im sure it will be out for Windows PC, Linux, SteamOS, Xbox1, PS4 and WiiU... So people will be able to play it..
But i think it is taking too long, and both the industry and valve changed. I think this game wont be up to the hype.

So do we take anonymous posts on 4chan seriously?

http://i.imgur.com/UbnwGnI.jpg

Troll with too much time on his hands typing words on 4chan, that's unprecedented. He's kind of stating the obvious, albeit in a mildly amusing way, reading between the lines of facts already known, and he's pretty much right on the money.

Last edited:
If it really did turn out to be Gabe that wrote that halfway into a bottle of wild turkey then all the jokes about his sainthood would cease to be jokes and be universally accepted as fact.

You guys laugh about 4chan, but there have been a multitude of times when the anonymous people on there have been right, or have been some unknown dev/insider leaking info. The problem is figuring out who is real vs who is fake (one out of a thousand?).

I go to reddit when I want to see real pictures of disasters / terrorist attacks before the news knows about them, because there is always some guy who knows some guy who posted on FB/Twitter who then gets linked there within 15minutes of the actual event. No need to wait on the news (who will alter or censor the image), get it from as close to the source as possible, as quickly as possible.

Yes, there is at least one leaker at Valve known to post on /v/. However, there are also many more people who enjoy pretending to be the leaker. Hard for me to believe Valve would set up a whole site for rolling out their announcement and then just leak it all on the same site where they had leaked in the past.

Wow. That wasn't much of an announcement.
I mean, I'm in, and I'll try to get into the beta, but come on. THAT was Wednesday's announcement?

Looks like the 4chan post is accurate....and there have already been small but sizeable leaks of Source2 stuff, so its just gotta gotta be it.

Source 2 means sequels...hell even if its just a new engine for people to tinker with. Source is just too old.

3rd unveil is the controller

has to be

Very likely.

I think this was a good announcement. It clarified quite a few details on the openness of SteamOS and just how flexible the platform will be. While many of these topics were speculated on by us, getting confirmation on those items is relieving.

3rd unveil is either going to be the controller or it will be O+O means 2 entities together as one, which might be Source Engine 2 and HL3?

This makes me think that it will be about the controller as well

Am I going to be using a mouse and a keyboard in the living-room?
If you want. But Steam and SteamOS work well with gamepads, too. Stay tuned, though - we have some more to say very soon on the topic of input.

They are open to surprise me though

Its going to be the controller - called this all a couple of days ago - not that hard to imagine and makes sense. Gonna tell you how you can buy it separately and also comes with a Steam Box.

HL3 is simply impossible. My bet is at Source² + LFD3

OS + the Hardware + the Engine = Valve dream

No HL3 announcement for those who think so IMO. HL3 might be released at the same time the console hits shelves - to help drive sales (though, not as an exclusive - Valve wouldn't do that to it's bread and butter - the PC community that has been loyal to Valve for years).

Ken Levine: SteamOS "a brave and powerful idea"
http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/09/25/ken-levine-steamos-is-a-brave-and-powerful-idea/

“I have a huge amount of confidence in Valve,” Ken Levine tells PC Gamer. The creative director of Irrational Games and writer of BioShock Infinite is excited about Valve’s newest plan for PC gaming: SteamOS. Levine took a break from working on Infinite’s Burial At Sea DLC (which he says is “nearing the end” of development) to discuss how Valve’s Linux-based operating system might change how we play games through our PCs.

“I think we’ve seen a move toward openness,” he says. “There’s been a democratization effect with Kickstarter or the Humble Bundles, or even Steam Workshop, where you're putting faith in the audience to help enhance the experience and make the experience better. And that requires openness to a certain degree.”

We’ve worried that getting the games running on a Linux-based system could be tricky, but Levine doesn’t see it as a large hurdle. “There’s a lot of Linux porting to do, but if you’ve done a Mac version of something, you’re pretty close already, because Mac is based on the Unix kernel,” he says. “It’s nice to have [a platform] where nobody can say, ‘Okay, this is what we’re doing with it, whether you like it or not.’ I think that’s interesting, because it’s not something we’ve traditionally seen.”

One of the PC gamer comments on this had this gem I hadn't seen before

Our Gaben, who art at Valve,
hallowed be thy name.
Thy ideas come,
thy games be done,
on Steambox as it is on PC's.
Give us this day our daily deal,
and forgive us our infractions,
as we forgive those who troll against us.
And lead us not into flaming,
but deliver us from Moderators.
For thine is the Valve,
and the keyboard,
and the crowbar,
for ever and ever,
Gabe N.

:)

A Gift from the PC Gaming Master Race

6KXYpvd.jpg

Maybe the SteamBox will encourage more console and Facebook gamers to take the Red Pill and join us in Wonderland :cool:

not sure if this is just me wanting to see it, but I clearly see a O/ in the star/sun whatever on the main steam livingroom page. It's been getting clearer everyday.

O = Life

/ = symbol for divide

what does half of a life have to do with anything? 4th reveal anyone?

:confused:

Back