Gabe Newell: Reflections of a Video Game Maker

While Android may be Linux based, I wouldn’t be surprised is MS Windows has got some Linux in it. As I understand it, the new Windows 8 architecture has some talk about it taking something from the Linux design.

While Android may be Linux based, I wouldn’t be surprised is MS Windows has got some Linux in it. As I understand it, the new Windows 8 architecture has some talk about it taking something from the Linux design.

lol, no.
Perhaps in file structure, but not in overall design and certainly not the kernel.

Windows is Microsoft-proprietary software that works and operates nothing like any *nix variant.

In the end there's a lot of luck that goes into running a business, and Valve was at the right place at the right time with the right ideas.
The timing wasn't based on a mere hunch, though: Gabe was startled at the revelation that a 12-person game development company in Mesquite was able to out-distribute Microsoft's own products. It was at that time that he started Valve, armed with the knowledge that gaming could be an incredibly lucrative industry, and he started it with the right insights and with more than enough capital (being one of the original Microsoft millionaires).

I don't luck had much to do with it. There was a clear mission based on clear business insights.

Yes...kind of... (I just wanted to disagree :p But here's why!)

There's this thing... But i'm not sure if it is in Windows 8... and it was only in Ultimate editions of Vista/7...

The way that I understand the influence of Linux on Windows 8, is to do with separating the Kernel part of the OS from the graphics and User Interface. This is so that, like Linux, a build of Windows 8 can be made for a wider range of devices, and with a wider range of User Interface’s. The User Interface can be seen as an optional layer, for running Apps or Games, which can also be offloaded to the GPU side of the hardware.

If the new Xbox is x86/x64 based, then we will know. Additionally, if Microsoft provides an XGames/XLive UI for Windows 8 PC to optionally replace the other two UI’s, then this would back my theory as to why.

Yes...kind of... (I just wanted to disagree :p But here's why!)

There's this thing... But i'm not sure if it is in Windows 8... and it was only in Ultimate editions of Vista/7...

From your link:
It was deprecated after the release of Windows 8 Developer Preview and will be removed in Windows 9.
So it looks like it's going away, what little there was.
But thanks for the info, I knew about some of it like the NFS mounts, but the rest was neat.

Too bad they are doing away with it.

I'm going to need another source to back this up.
It's an article from 2011, and it's the only article to even mention the subject, ever.

In the article itself, the article that it links to and references has zero mention of a Linux kernel being used, or anything related to Linux.
Perhaps a Linux kernel may have been used in Windows 8 development, but even that is just speculation.

From the article:
This build also disclosed why Microsoft was so tight-lipped about Windows 8. Microsoft is using a fork of Linux kernel in this version. The OS was fast and detected all our hardware -- a clear indication of Linux' presence. We found further evidences when we looked at the changelog.
No, this is not a clear indication of Linux' presence.
It sounds more like the author's wet dream in fantasy land; where the hell did he even get this information?

So far, this article is the only source that even mentions it.
Sorry, but I am not buying this at all. :rolleyes:

@ 20:21 Gaben, "We have no customer service department, we have one person handling all the tickets submitted thru Steam support" :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

my sides are somewhere around jupiter right now, moar sources plox
nopecat.jpg

Red Falcon is married to Richard Stallman and they are trying for their third baby! :eek:
Ι'd јuѕt lіkе tο іntеrјесt fοr а mοmеnt. Wһаt уοu'rе rеfеrrіng tο аѕ Lіnux, іѕ іn fасt, GΝU/Lіnux, οr аѕ Ι'vе rесеntlу tаkеn tο саllіng іt, GΝU рluѕ Lіnux. Lіnux іѕ nοt аn οреrаtіng ѕуѕtеm untο іtѕеlf, but rаtһеr аnοtһеr frее сοmрοnеnt οf а fullу funсtіοnіng GΝU ѕуѕtеm mаdе uѕеful bу tһе GΝU сοrеlіbѕ, ѕһеll utіlіtіеѕ аnd vіtаl ѕуѕtеm сοmрοnеntѕ сοmрrіѕіng а full OS аѕ dеfіnеd bу ΡOSΙX.

Mаnу сοmрutеr uѕеrѕ run а mοdіfіеd vеrѕіοn οf tһе GΝU ѕуѕtеm еvеrу dау, wіtһοut rеаlіzіng іt. Τһrοugһ а ресulіаr turn οf еvеntѕ, tһе vеrѕіοn οf GΝU wһісһ іѕ wіdеlу uѕеd tοdау іѕ οftеn саllеd "Lіnux", аnd mаnу οf іtѕ uѕеrѕ аrе nοt аwаrе tһаt іt іѕ bаѕісаllу tһе GΝU ѕуѕtеm, dеvеlοреd bу tһе GΝU Ρrοјесt.

Τһеrе rеаllу іѕ а Lіnux, аnd tһеѕе реοрlе аrе uѕіng іt, but іt іѕ јuѕt а раrt οf tһе ѕуѕtеm tһеу uѕе. Lіnux іѕ tһе kеrnеl: tһе рrοgrаm іn tһе ѕуѕtеm tһаt аllοсаtеѕ tһе mасһіnе'ѕ rеѕοurсеѕ tο tһе οtһеr рrοgrаmѕ tһаt уοu run. Τһе kеrnеl іѕ аn еѕѕеntіаl раrt οf аn οреrаtіng ѕуѕtеm, but uѕеlеѕѕ bу іtѕеlf; іt саn οnlу funсtіοn іn tһе сοntеxt οf а сοmрlеtе οреrаtіng ѕуѕtеm. Lіnux іѕ nοrmаllу uѕеd іn сοmbіnаtіοn wіtһ tһе GΝU οреrаtіng ѕуѕtеm: tһе wһοlе ѕуѕtеm іѕ bаѕісаllу GΝU wіtһ Lіnux аddеd, οr GΝU/Lіnux. All tһе ѕο-саllеd "Lіnux" dіѕtrіbutіοnѕ аrе rеаllу dіѕtrіbutіοnѕ οf GΝU/Lіnux.

sorry i couldn't resist lol

What does GNU stand for?
Answer: It's a "recursive acronym", that stands for "GNU's Not Unix". GNU is was a project to create a Free version of Unix.

What does GNU stand for?
Answer: It's a "recursive acronym", that stands for "GNU's Not Unix". GNU is was a project to create a Free version of Unix.

" The world will look up and shout 'save us' and i will look down and whisper 'gno' "
AFFW1BW.gif

Red Falcon is married to Richard Stallman and they are trying for their third baby! :eek:

Shh, don't tell him that I've been having an affair with Steve Jobs' corps for the last 4 years.
Yes, the last 4 years... wrap your head around that! :D

Back