Gabe Newell hand delivers first Steam Decks

Armenius

Extremely [H]
A select number of customers living close to Valve HQ were hand delivered their Steam Deck early by GabeN, himself. Gabe signed the consoles before handing them off.

One guy doesn't know how to react, another person doesn't seem to know who he is.

Didn't Old Bennett do a similar thing with the initial run of Ratpadz?

I love how Gabe hasn't changed in the last 20 years; that would be pretty cool to have him show up at the front door (although I would probably annoy about HL3).

I love how Gabe hasn't changed in the last 20 years; that would be pretty cool to have him show up at the front door (although I would probably annoy about HL3).
He is the only CEO left that I feel is passionate about gaming as a hobby rather than just a business, so he really understands what gamers are like. Other people like Phil Spencer, while he may be doing good things for the industry today, I feel really don't have that same sort of passion. Every time he speaks at a conference it is the same theatrical performance, stiffly reciting a script. He is definitely not connected to his customers the same way Gabe is. Gabe is happy to share his personal e-mail and even responds to messages he receives at a high rate.

He is the only CEO left that I feel is passionate about gaming as a hobby rather than just a business, so he really understands what gamers are like. Other people like Phil Spencer, while he may be doing good things for the industry today, I feel really don't have that same sort of passion. Every time he speaks at a conference it is the same theatrical performance, stiffly reciting a script. He is definitely not connected to his customers the same way Gabe is. Gabe is happy to share his personal e-mail and even responds to messages he receives at a high rate.
I would probably agree with this in regards to GabeN. he is totally richer than jeebus and answers to no one, so I guess he can do that.

Heyyy there buddy, wow, finally off the streets, doing some work, nice. Good for you. I bet if you fixed that thing you call your hair I bet you could make warehouse manager in no time.

looks staged to me...how come everyone is answering the door wearing a mask?
Maybe they are cool "Steam Deck Masks" that pre-delivered on orders? "Oh, cool! Can't wait to wear this, even while isolating!"

That was pretty cool of him to do. Didn't have to at all since the company needs zero PR.

Of course it was at least pre-planned. Not gonna go house to house and just leave it on the porch, not that exciting then and also kinda want people not in their bathrobes.

I'm just generalizing based on my area, but wearing a mask while interacting with people in the service industry is a common courtesy. I am thinking that since they sent out the early delivery notifications via email, they had a heads up that their console was being delivered that day. The surprise being that Gabe himself would be handing them off personally.

I would totally spaz out if this happened with my order!

I'm just generalizing based on my area, but wearing a mask while interacting with people in the service industry is a common courtesy. I am thinking that since they sent out the early delivery notifications via email, they had a heads up that their console was being delivered that day. The surprise being that Gabe himself would be handing them off personally.
This is what happened from comments I saw from someone who experienced this. They received a message that it was going to be delivered but didn't know it was Gabe and in their case they were surprised enough they filmed him on their end with their phone (can't remember if they were featured in the video or not).

This is what happened from comments I saw from someone who experienced this. They received a message that it was going to be delivered but didn't know it was Gabe and in their case they were surprised enough they filmed him on their end with their phone (can't remember if they were featured in the video or not).
Oh man that is awesome! I'm a bit further down the coast and in another State from Valve. This won't happen with my order... but I can hope :LOL:

Did Bellevue have any mask requirements in place when this was filmed? Otherwise I think it's just either people being paranoid or courteous. I still see quite a few people walking around outside by themselves or even driving their cars with masks on.

Did Bellevue have any mask requirements in place when this was filmed? Otherwise I think it's just either people being paranoid or courteous. I still see quite a few people walking around outside by themselves or even driving their cars with masks on.
I work in downtown Bellevue and do service calls for a living. From my experience at least half of the customers I'd work with didn't care for masking. I didn't watch the video in the OP, but if everyone were masked just coming to their door, then that would suggest to me that this is staged.

Back