Gabe Newell Discusses Possibility Of Half-Life 3

Gives you an idea of just how far out of touch Valve corp. is, doesn't it? They're of the belief that what gamers really want are crates, hats, Linux and touchpads. Not like, games or anything like that. Shit like this happens when you take your business guidance from teenage Reddit posters. This is how I imagine high-level business decisions are made over at Valve:"

I would love it if Linux were the go to gaming OS though I doubt that will happen anytime soon if ever. And as far as the Steam Controller goes, I can see what they're going for. An FPS handheld controller that actually works on an HTPC. I don't know that they'll be able to attain the level of performance you'd expect from a KB+M setup, but at least someone is trying something a little different. Thumbstick FPS drive me nuts.

I would love it if Linux were the go to gaming OS
Me too.
Though I doubt that will happen anytime soon if ever.
Yeah. We've seen the highest levels of Linux gaming hype in the history of the platform. After all that we still have twice as many Steam users on Vista than Linux, and three times as many users on OS X. All the Linux advocacy from Valve has done next to nothing.
And as far as the Steam Controller goes, I can see what they're going for. An FPS handheld controller that actually works on an HTPC. I don't know that they'll be able to attain the level of performance you'd expect from a KB+M setup, but at least someone is trying something a little different. Thumbstick FPS drive me nuts.
The level of performance of Steam Controller is abysmal. Experienced gamers struggle to line up meatshots on bots that are practically standing still.

Thumbsticks may drive you nuts, but 99.9% of gamers have no issue with them. The average gamer today was born into thumbsticks. No need to try something different when what we have already works and is accepted as the standard.

Valve needs to stop solving problems that don't exist, stop reinventing the wheel and make some fucking games. A functioning customer service department would help as well.

So many of you just don't get it. The very reason why HL3 will never happen is exactly because it is so desired and hyped for such a long period of time. They may have been toying with the idea at one point however there was another game that had that kind of hype surrounding it. That game was called Duke Nukem and it was an absolute disaster. Now before you go saying "well that's because the game was bad", I interrupt saying that wasn't a relevant factor. With that much hype and anticipation there was no chance for it to ever live up to that. Actually if you played all the dukes in short order, it was for all purposes better then the previous installments. It is simply that the style/writing failed to age well and nostalgia is rarely as good as you remember it. So with the lessons of DN in mind Valve is looking at hundreds of millions of dollars of investment of pure RISK to make HL3. No matter how you slice it that just doesn't make sense, especially when their revenue revolves mostly around their DD platform and not making content but simply being the deliverer. As for the utterly absurd notion of them holding out for VR, that is one of the most delusional things I've seen posted around here in a while. As someone already pointed out, the financials of that make even less sense as it would distributing only for linux. Again they are looking at a monumental investment and restricting to an extremely niche platform from a business perspective is "Batshit Insane". That ladies and gents is the crux of it, Valve is a business. They aren't making games just to put smiles on all the kids faces. They are in the business of growing their bottom line and at this point major content production for a project like HL3 has little chance of doing that.

Sorry for the rather cold dose of reality. I am the HL generation, I wanted HL3 as much as anyone. However closing in on 40 and having seen the gaming industry and valve evolve for decades now. I can honestly say matter of fact, HL3 Will Never happen and I understand exactly why.

So many of you just don't get it. The very reason why HL3 will never happen is exactly because it is so desired and hyped for such a long period of time. They may have been toying with the idea at one point however there was another game that had that kind of hype surrounding it.

Put aside HL3 for a moment and let's acknowledge that Valve isn't even into games at all, period. They make Source 2 and the best thing they can do with it is retrofit it into Dota2 for a 30-second demo? Seriously? WTF?

The whole company is focused on hats and, frankly, they don't really even produce anything any more. I mean honestly now, at the end of the day, what do they even accomplish? What have they produced in the past few years with all that staff? What, exactly, does the staff do other than sitting around collecting paychecks?

Valve has proven able to do things quickly.
Are you high?
-Valve realizes that Source engine is aging and needs big update (Source 2) before more Half-life can be made.
Read my post on page one and the links I posted. "Source 2" isn't some sort of revolutionary game engine. It's purpose is to ease the content creation process. Think updated and user friendly Hammer, not VR.

Besides, how is Valve going to develop a next-gen engine when at least half of their customers are using outdated components? You think Valve is going to move it's customers into a new engine when they have millions of people on laptops and 9800 GTXs playing DOTA2, CS:GO and throwing money at them? They're going to alienate those millions of users to cater to the tiny niche of VR enthusiasts?
So at this point either Valve is giving up on Halflife 3 because it won't work in VR the way they want, or we will see something very different for Halflife 3 as a VR focused experience, with the possibility for standard play as a secondary experience.
They're not giving up on it because it won't work with VR, HL3 never existed.

It's not going to happen, ever. People need to get over it.
As for the utterly absurd notion of them holding out for VR, that is one of the most delusional things I've seen posted around here in a while.
Yes.

Me too. Yeah. We've seen the highest levels of Linux gaming hype in the history of the platform. After all that we still have twice as many Steam users on Vista than Linux, and three times as many users on OS X. All the Linux advocacy from Valve has done next to nothing.The level of performance of Steam Controller is abysmal. Experienced gamers struggle to line up meatshots on bots that are practically standing still.

Thumbsticks may drive you nuts, but 99.9% of gamers have no issue with them. The average gamer today was born into thumbsticks. No need to try something different when what we have already works and is accepted as the standard.

Valve needs to stop solving problems that don't exist, stop reinventing the wheel and make some fucking games. A functioning customer service department would help as well.

I don't know about 99.9% but I see your point. I've been used to thumbsticks since the days of the PSX but they never worked well for FPS I think, anyone used to a mouse is always going to be more accurate with that than a gamepad. I believe that innovation on that front is still a good idea, though maybe the Steam Controller won't be the end all be all and just a stepping stone.

Gabe is trolling, I bet there will be a reveal at E3.... With a release date by Christmas.

Gabe is trolling, I bet there will be a reveal at E3.... With a release date by Christmas.

LOL
The last Half-Life anything was released in 2007.

I don't think anyone in the world is going to hold their breath at this point.

What's so crazy about having hope for something. I can see how that'd be dangerous if you are old and cranky, but some of us are still young and care-free.

What's so crazy about having hope for something. I can see how that'd be dangerous if you are old and cranky, but some of us are still young and care-free.

There's hope and then there's unwarranted hope in the face of the stark reality. Valve has been pretty upfront in saying that they're not even working on HL3.

There's hope and then there's unwarranted hope in the face of the stark reality. Valve has been pretty upfront in saying that they're not even working on HL3.

Yeah I don't believe that, I bet you it gets announced this year.

Isn't the "stark reality" more that "Valve has been pretty upfront" almost never?

LOL
The last Half-Life anything was released in 2007.

I don't think anyone in the world is going to hold their breath at this point.

Agreed. As much as I would like another HL game I don't think we'll see another. At least not anytime soon.

There's hope and then there's unwarranted hope in the face of the stark reality.

Oh the melodrama, what sort of Dawsons Creek emo minutiae have I wandered into?

Its only a video game. If they're doing HL3 they wouldn't be talking about it, and if they were working on it, they probably retooled it or backburnered it to make it a VR game and based on Vulkan. I'm sure same goes for L4D3 and Portal 3 - they'd want to retool for Vulkan and VR. Aka scope creep.

It's hard to see how Valve can make another Half Life game that will not be castrated by today's gaming community. From what I observed, it seems people expectations have changed today. These days, many gamer prefers open world and any linear corridor shooter will get criticized for being that. There's also demand for co-op.

Too much hype, and no way of living up to it? I remember the hype leading up to HL2 was just as big, if not bigger, than HL3 could have. Most people have already forgotten and other gamers were in dipers when HL was a thing. So "too much hype" is a bs excuse.

It just comes down to greed, nothing else. They know they can have a larger profit margin on making stupid multiplayer games, and that's that. They don't care about their legacy and about doing the right thing for the fans. They should be ashamed of themselves. Any person with empathy would choose the right thing for a smaller (but still huge) profit over leaving every fan hanging for a bit more money.

To me valve as a software developer is dead, and I'm sad that most games today have steam, so I can't avoid feeding the troll with money.

You don't believe Valve?

Nope, they have NDA's and aren't going to say anything to add more pressure or have people speculate a release date.

Like I said before they have Source 2 done, they have SteamOS almost done, they have Steam Machines officially launching at Christmas, VR launching at Christmas, they will announce HL3 sometime this year...and probably at E3.

Snip stawman attacks

L4D came out in 2008. L4D2 came out in 2009. L4D2 had all new maps and characters, and some new infected. So, yes, when there's a team at Valve passionate about something, they can get things done quickly.

Valve is a company of some of the smartest, best people in the industry who are given the freedom to work on whatever they think is the best use of their time.

Saying that there is no Halflife 3 is absurd. It may turn out to be vaporware, but Valve has been working on it. The issues with Halflife 3 have been of technology and a changing gaming environment. HL3 references pop up in Valve game content often, people who have seen content and worked at Valve have more or less confirmed that, yeah, it's being worked on. But that doesn't mean they're driving for any specific release date, or that it will be anything like HL1 or HL2.

Gabe Newell said as much when he talked about "Ricochet 2," which was a thinly veiled way of talking about the struggles of working on HL3.

Saying that Source 2 is just about giving users the tools of content creation is false. Valve gave several GDC talks this year:
glNext: The Future of High Performance Graphics
Physics for Game Programmers : Robust Contact Creation for Physics Simulation
Physics for Game Programmers : Physics Optimization Strategies
Advanced VR Rendering

Two of those talks are specifically about graphics. One is specifically about high performance graphics. The physics talks are related to graphics since users generally see the effects of physics in gaming (It's not just about rag dolls, flying warthogs, and jumping). Oh and what were you saying about "don't think VR?" There's a nice talk there about advanced VR rendering. You know . . . graphics and VR and stuff.

Your argument also ignores the fact that Valve is releasing VR hardware this year. To think a company would be so invested in the success of VR, but not include any tools for its creation in their own game engine . . .

Also, Source 2 is 64 bit. While many users have mid-range hardware, most users are also using 64 bit hardware. Source is 32 bit, and is extremely limited because of that. A 64 bit engine is going to unlock a lot of potential, even on mid-range hardware, because it reduces a ton of the overhead of Source. If you paid attention to Valve, news surrounding Source 2, and GDC coverage, you would already know this.

Nope, they have NDA's and aren't going to say anything to add more pressure or have people speculate a release date.

Like I said before they have Source 2 done, they have SteamOS almost done, they have Steam Machines officially launching at Christmas, VR launching at Christmas, they will announce HL3 sometime this year...and probably at E3.

I so hope you are right.

Valve is out of the big AAA title games business. There is a great chance for a Left for dead 3 because the Zombie genre is so hot. next time we see Gordon Freeman will be on the Silver Screen

I think it would be cool to troll valve by some group releasing an unofficial HL3.

I could care less if the graphics are the same as HL2.. I just want to finish the story, I don't care who writes it as long as it is a good finish to the series.

THIS!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Also, Source 2 is 64 bit. While many users have mid-range hardware, most users are also using 64 bit hardware. Source is 32 bit, and is extremely limited because of that. A 64 bit engine is going to unlock a lot of potential, even on mid-range hardware, because it reduces a ton of the overhead of Source. If you paid attention to Valve, news surrounding Source 2, and GDC coverage, you would already know this.

Just FYI, almost every single x86 CPU is 64-bit now.
The only users who are still on 32-bit are either using low-end (old) Atom processors or 32-bit OSes.

Also, while you have some valid points, I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for Valve to make any of this actually happen.
Their Steam machines have been almost all talk thus far with only basic results (took three years to get to this point), and everything else has been pie in the sky.

Even their Linux support, while it is great, has had little effect outside of indie games.
Mainstream games that do get support come 2-3 years after the games were originally released.

Valve and Gabe have done a lot of cool things, but this eternal "waiting for the right moment" for HL3 is just ridiculous.
As others have stated, the target audience who appreciated HL1 and HL2 the most will be in their 40s by the time it is released, for real!

Also, while you have some valid points, I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for Valve to make any of this actually happen.
Their Steam machines have been almost all talk thus far with only basic results (took three years to get to this point), and everything else has been pie in the sky.

Valve and Gabe have done a lot of cool things, but this eternal "waiting for the right moment" for HL3 is just ridiculous.
As others have stated, the target audience who appreciated HL1 and HL2 the most will be in their 40s by the time it is released, for real!

I don't disagree. I'm not saying that it's coming soon. I'm just giving reasons why it isn't out yet. I'm not even sure what it would be if it was announced. Games have changed a lot. The technology has changed a lot. I'm sure it's being worked on to some degree or another, but that doesn't translate to imminent release.

I was in high school when HL2 came out. I wasn't even married yet when Episode 2 came out. I'm now married with two children and a masters degree. I'm not holding my breath, but I definitely want HL3 to come out and for it to be amazing. For now, I'm just pumped about VR. It's more exciting than a HL3 announcement, especially if HL3 were just like Episode 2, but just finishing the story arc. That would be fun, gratifying, but not what people are now expecting.

There will never be a "right time" for Valve to release HL3. They made sure of that by waiting this long. Gamers have been screaming for it for years so if you think Gaben is all about the gaming community you're wrong. It's about Steam and the almighty dollar now. They have enough money to make one hell of a HL3 game 100 times over. This beating around the bush shit is getting old. Either get on the pot or get the F off.

HL3 will happen. Right after bigfoot wins the next presidential election.

As much as I'd throw my next paycheck at it, I have no hopes of it ever happening.

As much as I'd like to see a group release an unofficial HL3, i don't have any hopes for this either. Look how long HL Source took......and the storyline/characters/maps/etc were all there for them already.

I'll just add one more thing . . .

In late 2012 the /v/ group went to visit Gabe on his birthday and asked him a lot of questions. One question was if Source 2 was in development and when would we get to see it. Gabe replied that Source 2 was in development and that they would ship it once they had a game to ship with it. Source 2 is shipping this year, ergo . . .

You can watch the video here. Skip to 6:13 for the engine/game bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Fl4s9T79n0

In late 2012 the /v/ group went to visit Gabe on his birthday and asked him a lot of questions. One question was if Source 2 was in development and when would we get to see it. Gabe replied that Source 2 was in development and that they would ship it once they had a game to ship with it. Source 2 is shipping this year, ergo . . .

That was a long time ago and things change. The Source 2 that's "shipping" this year will be an open source engine for people to use for doing their own thing. There is really no indication that Valve is actually making a game with Source 2, except maybe shoe-horning it into Dota2 as a testbed.

It could be that they're making games, but there's no evidence of it. In fact all evidence is against it.

That was a long time ago and things change. The Source 2 that's "shipping" this year will be an open source engine for people to use for doing their own thing. There is really no indication that Valve is actually making a game with Source 2, except maybe shoe-horning it into Dota2 as a testbed.

It could be that they're making games, but there's no evidence of it. In fact all evidence is against it.

It was essentially two years and a half years ago. I've said as much that "things change" and that we don't know what we'll see come out of valve in terms of games. But that video isn't that old. Late 2012 to early 2015.

Note, when that video came out Valve already knew about the Oculus Rift. Gabe even mentions it later in the video.

And, yes, there's been plenty of evidence that HL3 is being worked on. Again, Gabe has said that it's unlikely that it will be what we expected from HL or HL2. Action games have moved on from what those games were, but I'm certain that people at Valve are working on HL3 at some level. That doesn't mean there's an imminent release, just that they are exploring interactive experiences within that universe.

http://combineoverwiki.net/wiki/Future_of_the_Half-Life_series

> For now, I'm just pumped about VR

same here, and i'll bet this is gabens perspective as well.

if hl3 is just another conventional shooter, the general perception of the game will be that it is 'satisfactory' or a letdown (which means it will be varying levels of a letdown). it will not be considered revolutionary (like hl1, hl2 and portal) unless it ships with revolutionary tech.

imho gaben is waiting for vr tech to mature.

the current challenges with vr are:
the rendering engine needs to be hyper efficient because gpus have to work 4 or 5 times as hard to render a scene convincingly in vr, no one has yet developed a headset (or plugin) which fixes the problem of vr goggles screwing with the eyes (it's really quite a simple problem so i'd expect this to be the next issue to be addressed) and finally, movement in vr is still a bit awkward compared to wasd+mouse.

once these problems are addressed, vr will become a realistic standard for the future and it becomes more plausible for average gamers to plop down the $600-900 necessary to have a competent vr gaming setup.

*$300-1000

imho vr is so amazing that i think a lot of gamers would be quite satisfied with just a vr headset and graphics set to low, which reduces the cost down to about the price of a console.

Valve is a F2P company. They make hats, skins and simple DirectX 9 titles that can be run on a wide variety of hardware. Listen to what their CEO is saying. He's saying that a HL without crates and multiplayer doesn't make sense for them.

You will never see a HL3. It's not over, it never existed in the first place. The only HL product you have a chance of seeing is a F2P shooter with Gordon Freeman, Vortigaunts and cosmetic monitization. Valve is going to create the most desired and hyped PC game in a decade, then restrict it's compatibility to only that small niche of gamers who have a VR capable rig and a 15x15 foot area in their living room in which to set up laser sensors and run around in?

That makes about as much sense as making HL3 Linux only.

Anyone who's expecting Valve to ship revolutionary, GLnext VR titles is living in a dream world. Valve can't move their products onto a new engine, they need to remain viable in Russia, China, Brazil and other countries where WinXP, x1900s and Internet cafes are the standard and wages are low. They also need to remain viable to those western consumers with low powered PCs and laptops. Half of the Steam users who opt in to the hardware survey have GPUs with 1 GB or less VRAM. You can't profit from VR games when most of your consumers are running HD 4000s and 5850s.

The next iteration of Source will be one that "increases creator productivity". IE, makes it easier for people to create hats. We're not going to see a VR engine, we're not going to see a next-gen engine. We're going to see a hat engine.

Your post made me laugh, and quite sad all at the same time.

the current challenges with vr are:
the rendering engine needs to be hyper efficient because gpus have to work 4 or 5 times as hard to render a scene convincingly in vr, no one has yet developed a headset (or plugin) which fixes the problem of vr goggles screwing with the eyes (it's really quite a simple problem so i'd expect this to be the next issue to be addressed) and finally, movement in vr is still a bit awkward compared to wasd+mouse.
Yes. The horsepower needed for VR is going to be the barrier to the mainstream consumer. Someone said to me that once we see widespread adoption of TitanX and 390X, then VR will take hold. He said this presumably without sarcasm.

Oh, and Valve has solved the movement problems in VR. All you have to do is clear a 15'x15' area in your house, position laser sensors all around, strap some goggles to your face and then wander about completely blind while playing vidya games on a touchpad. Try not to trip on the dog and go careening headfirst out the window.
once these problems are addressed, vr will become a realistic standard for the future and it becomes more plausible for average gamers to plop down the $600-900 necessary to have a competent vr gaming setup.
You would need to plop down that much on the GPU(s) alone. Then how much on the headset itself? And then several hundred dollars on the rest of the rig.

All this for the opportunity to imitate Psycho Mantis stumbling over a coffee table and smashing into his TV. Future of gaming indeed.
imho vr is so amazing that i think a lot of gamers would be quite satisfied with just a vr headset and graphics set to low, which reduces the cost down to about the price of a console.
Show me a sub $400 rig that can run Dying Light, or any other so-called next-gen game (FC4, SoM etc.), at VR resolutions and a locked 90 FPS on any setting.

Back