GA-Z68XP-UD3P ssd main raid 1 storage?

HAF72

1337 :)
Sorry if this has been asked. But I am about to build a new pc for a friend. Is it possible to install the os on the ssd and set the storage to raid 1 with 2x 1tb wd blacks? If I remember correctly, You can only install the os to the raid 1 setup? If so, I am thinking to do a software raid.. suggestions? Thanks!

If you mean as separate volumes (ssd as C:\, raid1 as D:\) then yes it will work. Fairly common setup nowadays. But, sounds like you may be considering using SSD caching?

If you mean as separate volumes (ssd as C:\, raid1 as D:\) then yes it will work. Fairly common setup nowadays. But, sounds like you may be considering using SSD caching?

Ssd as C and the 2x black in raid 1 for D. I only did raid for the OS, but never in this way. Would it just be the same way to setup for this as it is for the main drive in raid? Hope that made sense. Thanks!

Yeah, basically same process as you've done before. Install OS to the SSD first. Then plug-in the spinners and create the raid1 on them the same way you've done before. Then use windows disk management to initialize the new raid1 disk and give it a drive letter.

Also keep in mind that raid1 isn't a backup solution on it's own (if that's the reason you want it). If he cares about the data, back it up somewhere else too.

Last edited:
He decides not to do the raid anymore and just to back up to different drives. Then I remembered that doing raid with caviar black isn't so good and that should be done with enterprise, wd drives wise?

Back