GA-H55N-USB3 vs. DFI LanParty MI P55-T36

'99

Weaksauce
I'm planing on building a ITX rig, which is to be used for everyday use, encoding, occational FPS gameing.

When looking at the different ITX boards, the following 2 looks like the are the ones to go for. But which board is best? The Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 or DFI's LanParty MI P55-T36? The CPU will probably be an i5.
One thing thats draw's me in the direction of the DFI LanParty MI P55-T36, is that is has Creative X-Fi soundchip, and since there is no room for a soundcard, this might be the best choice. But... is the board as good as Gigabyte's GA-H55N-USB3 ?

Since DFI is no longer a motherboard maker, you'll see lack of support. As well the bclk is limited to 150 (I believe) and you'll hit a wall..

Both will handle i7 chips, if that's what you plan on using.

I'd go gigabyte since you'll have bios updates and backing from gigabyte, not a dead company.

I think the realtek audio hardware should be fine. I don't even use soundcards in my builds these days. Onboard does the job.

BCLK for a non HT enabled quad is limited to 180 before OCP kicks in, it's not a real limit. Just OCP's limit.

X-Fi is not a hardware solution. It's a realtek codec with an X-Fi licence software processing for all effects.

Pretty much the same as Realtek Audio Control Panel I guess, but I don't have a 5.1 system so I can't tell if possitional audio is good or not. Also bear in mind since the days of XP EAX effects are now pretty limited due the nature of the new audio stack.

With all that in mind and for future support options I think the Gigabyte is the better choice. Still I love my mini LanParty :D

I'd say the Gigabyte now even with the garbage CPU placement.

Sadly the Lanparty is no more :(

Thx. for all reply's. Looks like Gigabyte is the one... and only one :)

Now I'll concentrate on finding the rest of the parts :)

They're both excellent IMO, since I'm using both concurrently. Like the others though, moving forward the gigabyte board is going to be a safer bet.

I love my DFI board, for future builds I will always go with the Gigabyte though.

Back