GA-H55N-USB3 & i5 750

I have a question for you guys.... Mosfets that need cooling, which ones? (I color coded them to make it easy!) Please mention anything I missed!

As you can see, I put 8 on, I figured the red arrows need them, not sure about green or blue. :confused:

2ykzyu8.jpg

i3xrid.jpg

Yes to green....I'm like 60% sure yes for Blue.

Check the bottom to see what is on there and post a picture if you can. That might help us out more.

I'll post some pics tomorrow when I'm fresh. I covered the red ones, obviously.

I get 10 more enzotech sinks tomorrow, so I can cover everything. I guess if I cut the rods off the sinks, the bottom would be thin enough to help elminate heat, but I'd be worried about it arcing with the case. I don't know if it is realistic to cool those.

There's a TON of mosfets under the board as well. I hope everyone can chime in.

I didn't pick up what case you had but with the SG05/SG06 it works. The only problem is the heatsink backplate tends to interfere with a lot of the components on the back of the mobo. I got an example of this at SFFClub.com

It fits just fine but you need it to be rotated correctly in order for it to not block the PCIe slot. Now... I'm not exactly sure what case you'd be using the H55N-USB3 and the 212+ plus with.

Mosfet cooling needs: Back of the board

Money Shot:
2ag46jd.jpg

2ebcwad.jpg

8zmdjn.jpg

Post any ideas....
I have the top mosfets covered, literally. ;):cool:

Hi, my SG05 has a similar setup to the one mentioned here, I'm currently using the stock cooler, i'm finding it too loud an hot (60C just browsing/word doc)
Can you recommend a cooler that can be installed? I had difficulty installing the graphics card AFTER the heatsink and mobo were sitting in the case as the graphics card is too long and must be inserted at an angle, at which point the card will bump into the cooler.

Is it possible to install a CPU cooler without this issue?
Any help appreciated :S

(I'm currently using my 3.5" drive so a H50 is unlikely)

You will have a hard time with any heatsink I guess and the choices are already limited.

I'd say prolimatech samuel 17 but I haven't seen it widely available yet

You will have a hard time with any heatsink I guess and the choices are already limited.

I'd say prolimatech samuel 17 but I haven't seen it widely available yet

I contacted prolimatech and they said the samuel 17 would be for sale sometime in early august.

Anyways, I Got my 450w psu, and while I was at it, I reseated the heatsink. Turned out I didn't have it down properly the first time round. That was a huge relief. I might do what CyberPower did with the h50 and have the fan externally.

Last edited:
I just setup an i5 750 on this board with a corsair H50 cooler. The backplate wouldn't fit so I snipped of the corners of the 775 backplate and used them as washers. Tightening was a bit precarious with a wrench so I had to tighten before mounting the board but it worked out ok.
The problem is the buzz from the pump is just too loud. So what are my other options? I'm not over clocking so which of the following would be best?
1) AXP-140 with slim fan (which fan?)
2) Scythe Shuriken (not the big one)
3)Corsair Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus

I think I'm going back to stock HSF for now because it is quieter than the H50 when not under load.

Really too loud? maybe you are using a PWM header for the pump should always run at 100%, the fan can vary.

Mine doesn't buzz

the pump is on the case fan header on the motherboard, its 3 pin. Should i attach it some other way? Maybe I have a defective unit but the buzz is annoying from 6 ft away.

Check you BIOS fan control maybe you are running under the recommended speed, I have fan at CPU header with PWM enabled and fan always at 100%

I have installed a Gemini S on the Gigabyte GA-H55N and pci e slot isnt blocked its very close to video card so i suggest useing something between heatsink and video card. This heatsink I had for awhile and had to order the 1156 mounting kit to make this fit
The Big Shuriken I have here as well and does block the pci e slot so that doesnt work
The GeminII can fit with turning the heatsink and cutting the width of heatsink down some. This is cutting the fins only not the heatpipes .

If you need pictures I can ask my friend to take some when she is back right now I am installing windows 7 and will be placing it in the case in the next day or so

Jen

Build to commence next week:

SG07
Gigabyte H55N-USB3
Intel i5 670
Saaphire 5870
OCZ Vertex 2 60GB - WD 1T Black

DSC00495.jpg

DSC00496.jpg

DSC00497.jpg

Last edited:
I have installed a Gemini S on the Gigabyte GA-H55N and pci e slot isnt blocked its very close to video card so i suggest useing something between heatsink and video card. This heatsink I had for awhile and had to order the 1156 mounting kit to make this fit
The Big Shuriken I have here as well and does block the pci e slot so that doesnt work
The GeminII can fit with turning the heatsink and cutting the width of heatsink down some. This is cutting the fins only not the heatpipes .

If you need pictures I can ask my friend to take some when she is back right now I am installing windows 7 and will be placing it in the case in the next day or so

Jen

Please a Pic with the GeminII would be really appreciated

Do you have a half height video card? I tried a gemini S and the heatpipes hit my video card? For the GeminII what mounting bracket did you use? I can't find one for 1156.

Please a Pic with the GeminII would be really appreciated

geminII requires modification to work with this board however if someone wants to cut up this heatsink it can fit . just the fins need to be cut

gemini s fits fine with the 1156 adapter i bought just cant use the back plate so i used nylon washer instead

Jen

geminII requires modification to work with this board however if someone wants to cut up this heatsink it can fit . just the fins need to be cut

gemini s fits fine with the 1156 adapter i bought just cant use the back plate so i used nylon washer instead

Jen

GeminII S I meant, the small one right?

Please. Also the user above says he has issues. but if it's just touching not forcing the videocard then it's no big deal, just some foam or other non conducting material between HS and GPU and voila

GeminII S I meant, the small one right?

Please. Also the user above says he has issues. but if it's just touching not forcing the videocard then it's no big deal, just some foam or other non conducting material between HS and GPU and voila

DSCN0753.JPG

Last edited:
I'm planning to build a SG07 with the following parts but cannot decide what cooler to install. Here is the parts:
- SG07
- Intel i7 870
- Gigabyte H55N-USB3
- Gigabyte 5870
- OCZ Vertex 2 120GB
- WD 1TB Black

Can anyone give me ideas on what cooler to get. I'm leaning towards the Thermalright AXP-140 but the Corsair H50 is an option too. I'm after a silent PC but still running cool.

Cheers, Anthony

I'm planning to build a SG07 with the following parts but cannot decide what cooler to install. Here is the parts:
- SG07
- Intel i7 870
- Gigabyte H55N-USB3
- Gigabyte 5870
- OCZ Vertex 2 120GB
- WD 1TB Black

Can anyone give me ideas on what cooler to get. I'm leaning towards the Thermalright AXP-140 but the Corsair H50 is an option too. I'm after a silent PC but still running cool.

Cheers, Anthony

h50 for silence it will cool very well with cpu

Jen

A H50 is indeed a decent choice. Although in my computer it's probably the noisiest part. I haven't actually checked which part makes the most noise, but I'd wager a guess it's the H50 pump based on the type of noise. Need to take a closer look one of these days... I'm just hesitant to turn on the computer without the cooler powered, even for a short while. I know it's technically safe for a brief period, but I can't afford to burn out stuff so I'm a bit paranoid ;) But anyway, in most computers it definitely won't stand out as loud. Plus not everyone is as picky as me :p

Last edited:
A H50 is indeed a decent choice. Although in my computer it's probably the noisiest part. I haven't actually checked which part makes the most noise, but I'd wager a guess it's the H50 pump based on the type of noise. Need to take a closer look one of these days... I'm just hesitant to turn on the computer without the cooler powered, even for a short while. I know it's technically safe for a brief period, but I can't afford to burn out stuff so I'm a bit paranoid ;) But anyway, in most computers it definitely won't stand out as loud. Plus not everyone is as picky as me :p

once had a watercooling pump fail me in middle of the night while i was sleeping. computer was still working the next morning .

Jen

Yeah I would say it's probably a bad idea to plug and unplug the cord while it's turned on, but yeah just start the computer up with the pump unplugged then turn it off after the video card and such settle down (so you can hear the rest of the sound to see if it really is it). Long as it's not overclocked to high hell, you should be fine.

The pump on my WC system is dead silent whcih surprised me 'cause it's some cheapo bulk unit XSPC put in their dual bay reservoir.

Okay, so. If I can muster the money, I might go with this board and transfer my system into an ITX housing (most likely Lan Gear's I suppose, unless something more affordable comes along by then) at some point (hopefully by the end of the year). It's the cheapest 1156 ITX board available here by far, and also has the most suitable features.

But the thing is I haven't been able to find a definite answer as to whether or not Noctua's 1156 backplate fits without obstructions on this board? My two available CPU cooling options are Noctua NH-U9F and the Corsair H50, so it would be nice to know. I do know that the H50's backplate requires some modding, but the Noctua is a question mark. And of course I'm not 100% certain whether or not the Noctua would block any of the components (RAM or GPU) from being installed even if the backplate fits.

Knowing YMMV with OC, what would be average/safe 24/7 OC for i5 750 with this board? DFI is 3.4Ghz and any more you take chance of burning VRM.

I say 3.5-3.6Ghz, if you have a great chip and manage to get vid down to less than 1.2v you might be able to push some more

Try to add a fan blowing air across the board, It helps a lot with VRM temps

:( It's not much more than DFI then. I thought about swapping my DFI to this one if it can do 4Ghz 24/7. I think I did [email protected] with DFI which I don't think I tried to go lower. If it is only 100Mhz-200Mhz difference, I would rather save myself from hassle of selling DFI and get this board.

I say 3.5-3.6Ghz, if you have a great chip and manage to get vid down to less than 1.2v you might be able to push some more

Try to add a fan blowing air across the board, It helps a lot with VRM temps

Damn Massive... that is pretty nice. not sure how long your mobo will last but thats still sexy! seems like an oddly low QPI for that overclock too?

Damn Massive... that is pretty nice. not sure how long your mobo will last but thats still sexy! seems like an oddly low QPI for that overclock too?

Thanks, but that's nothing:

http://hwbot.org/competition/gbt_h55_mitx

I've gotten higher QPI/BLCK for 4.0 Ghz or under competition:

4662f393.jpg

I'm not worried about the mobo with a dual core, now with a quad, I'd be worried about longevity.

Last edited:
Back