GA-H55N-USB3 & i5 750

Ive only heard of 1 person so far... Most reviews say to expect 3.8 and have itt 100% stable...
Just picked up the 750 today, gotta get the mobo and mem then ill see what i can get ; )

I'm STILL deciding on whether to do a mini itx build now or put it off and do a full on water cooled (or even high end air) mATX build based on price since mini ITX still costs a good bit besides the boards.

This'll help me figure out where to go with that.

When are you ordering the board?

Well, just ordered it off amazon an hour ago, prime 2 day shipping... but not sure when itll ship, amazon gives you a 4 week window...

What sort of full blown water setup are you going for? Dont know of any real cases that can handle that at the mATX, unless you are going for the larger antec cases

Last edited:
My issue is that I always want a great overclock and really won't compromise. If I can't have it, I won't buy the components. It's that simple....

That said, IF I forgo the mini itx rig (assuming you can't get 4ghz either, it's apparently a magic number), mATX is the next step. The issue is fitting everything into a case that isn't huge. The Antec New Solution NSK3480 seems great, but double the size of the SG07 (which really isn't that bad considering what you can shove in there). I'd love to do both builds, but I already have 2 rigs and don't know if I can justify running 4 computers (yet).

I figured w/o HT, someone should be able to get a 4core to hit 4ghz. If this seems to be impossible, I may just go SG05/07 (depends on what I honestly want to do with the rig) and get a dualcore and go crazy.

It all depends on your CPU, if it's a good dual should be easy, on a Quad your mileage may vary, I don't think you'll get 4Ghz on an HT enabled quad, OCP will cut the power short.

But you might get a great quad with a super low vid, then it's doable.

with good cooling, 4ghz should be doable.

AXP-140 and 120mm Scythe GT 1850rpm and put the mosfets under copper?

It all depends on your CPU, if it's a good dual should be easy, on a Quad your mileage may vary, I don't think you'll get 4Ghz on an HT enabled quad, OCP will cut the power short.

But you might get a great quad with a super low vid, then it's doable.

I know a dual will get 4ghz on stock cooling, heck, 4.2ghz - 4.4ghz is realistic with this board due to much lower power demand.

No... i give amazon 2 more days... then im canceling my order and going elsewhere... just had 2 day free shipping with them but what good is it if i have to wait 2 weeks to get the 2 day free shipping..

Thanks for the update.

I'm starting to lean towards the i3 530 since I NEED 4ghz+ and this won't be a main rig, just something to play with....

That said, if you manage to get 4ghz, you'll sway me back! Even so, I am curious to see how you're going to clock this guy. Mosfet cooling is a must!

You just need a breeze for them to cool enough though

With my DFI board I was getting random shutdowns with an i5 750 @ 160BCLK. Added a slim 80mm fan blowing from side to side of my sg05 and voila, never went past 75c again

I'm just gona quote Raja from anandtech's site:

Heat is NOT the absolute killer of mosfet's on motherboards- it's current. Most mosfets will handle junction temperatures of 150~170 Celsius before they suffer a breakdown. What boards need are properly implemented OCP which on the face of it this board has.

If you don't go over the maximum allowed current design of the power circuitry all will be fine. Also bear in mind that a properly implemented over current protection will not allw that to happen.

The DFI board had issues in the beginning because it's OCP limit was way too high. They limited it and I haven't read any more reports of damaged boards

What cooler is best for the i5 750 on this board that doesnt block the pci express socket?

Which case are you going to put this set up in?

H50 won't block the slot, but you may not want to go that route.

Thermalright's AXP-140 will fit. Some others as well, but it does depend on what case like I said. If you have more clearance, you can fit other coolers that won't fit in, say, a SG05.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to go the sg06 route. Is there an advantage to h50 over the thermalright?

Well, mine idles at 19c with the H50, and full load gets to 36-40c so it;s pretty good

The AXP-140 can keep it cool, but in the SG06, would only allow 12mm fan pulling air up through it, I can't see it competing with the H50.

If you don't mind losing your 3.5" drive, you can mount the H50 a little lower than the normal place where the fan is mounted. You'd still have your two 2.5" drive bays. Not sure if you're putting in an ssd or laptop drive.

I'm using the GA-P55A-UD3 mobo and the CM 212 Hyper.

It idles at right under 40, which is fine by me.

This board seems so nice... together with Lan Gear's upcoming ITX case it's such a pain to resist, even though the change from my current case + mobo would be entirely irrational.

Though as a side note, I'm not 100% sure if a Noctua NH-U9F cooler would fit on this mobo without blocking the PCI-e slot. Given it's not that huge, I suppose it should, given it is installed taking orientation into consideration.

@ KaizerDan, did you end up cancelling your amazon order?

This board seems so nice... together with Lan Gear's upcoming ITX case it's such a pain to resist, even though the change from my current case + mobo would be entirely irrational.

Though as a side note, I'm not 100% sure if a Noctua NH-U9F cooler would fit on this mobo without blocking the PCI-e slot. Given it's not that huge, I suppose it should, given it is installed taking orientation into consideration.

It will probably block ram unless you set it up as a pull configuration.

When is the Lan Gear case coming out? I didn't see an ETA on it.

It will probably block ram unless you set it up as a pull configuration.

When is the Lan Gear case coming out? I didn't see an ETA on it.
Hmm, yeah, RAM (I have a pair of Ripsaw sticks)... problem is that I suppose the Noctua NH-U9 series isn't that popular, especially for ITX board users, so might be hard to find someone who'd know for sure. Given that I do have the H50, I suppose I could just use that if I do get this board at some point (but even at the earliest, that'd be in a month or two because GPU upgrade is eating my budget this month). But would like to try the air cooler because of the H50's pump noise (which is the only possible source for the noise my current setup is making).

mattinv said on the case's thread that current estimate is about two months.

@ KaizerDan, did you end up cancelling your amazon order?

Haha, yea i did with the mobo and went to newegg... already got the mobo today!! going to plug it all in right now and test to see if memory works on here. g.skill eco 1600

case should be here monday too :D

Haha, yea i did with the mobo and went to newegg... already got the mobo today!! going to plug it all in right now and test to see if memory works on here. g.skill eco 1600

case should be here monday too :D

Glad to hear you cleared that up. So you have the board, good. Please do some overclocking with it. I have a feeling the ram will work, other's have gotten it working, so I don't see any issues.

Let me ask you, did you pick out a cooler?

Keep us up to date and post some CPUz screen caps. Btw, are you doing 24/7 or suicide runs? I prefer 24/7 runs, but I'll take any data.

I felt I needed to post this. People have been saying the Scythe HSF will block the PCIe slot...

WRONG! (also more pics of the AXP-140 and Samuel 17, either blocks any slots)

H55_Shuriken.jpg

H55_AXP140_1.jpg

H55_Samuel17.jpg

If anyone has any other known working coolers & pics, please post them. I know the H50 and a few others will fit, although clearance is a problem, even for the SG07.

Good to know thanks!

I guess the first one is DH57JG, the second one is the Gigabyte and the third the Zotac board right?

i5 760 is out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115067

750 = 20x multiplier
760 = 21x multiplier

I know people say 3.7 to 3.8ghz for the 750 on this board.... ergo 4ghz w/ 760!

190x20 = 3.8ghz
190x21 = 3.99ghz

Looks like this MIGHT be my new processor!

i3 550 @ 4.4ghz vs i5 760 @ 4ghz.
dual core w/ HT vs quad core w/o H
T

2cyfgap.png

This is very very temping. I've entirely forgotten about the i5 750 now, lol.

Last edited:
Can anybody confirm whether or not this i5 760 has HT? This will make a big difference from 750...

It's the same thing as the i5 760.

Only difference is a 21x multiplier vs 20x w/ the 750. I posted this before. :D

The 760 looks interesting. I was going to go with a dual core but now with the higher multiplier this might be interesting...

Throw a CPUZ up there and show us how far you've gotten.

I haven't used a gigabyte board in some time, enjoying the bios layout?

I felt I needed to post this. People have been saying the Scythe HSF will block the PCIe slot...

WRONG! (also more pics of the AXP-140 and Samuel 17, either blocks any slots)

H55_Shuriken.jpg

H55_AXP140_1.jpg

H55_Samuel17.jpg

If anyone has any other known working coolers & pics, please post them. I know the H50 and a few others will fit, although clearance is a problem, even for the SG07.

Scythe's Big Shuriken WILL NOT FIT H55 style mini ITX boards.
The Scythe Shuriken which has a 100mm fan WILL FIT but is taller. (You can tell by the 92mm and 100mm mounting holes on the fan)

I'm probably going to pick up a Scythe Shuriken. I simply need some silence. The stock Intel HSF is way too loud. I would grab the Samuel 17 but it's no where to be found right now and the AXP-140 would be the way to go but I have zero plans to overclock this system. Oh and the Shuriken is $40 shipped compared to about $80~ for the AXP-140 + fan.

EDIT: Oh yes! Just put the Shuriken in my cart in Newegg and it's currently coming with a FREE Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E. I'm really looking forward to see how much air this pushes compared to the stock fan in my SG05 and how the noise level compares. Shuriken ordered!

The first picture is a Big Shuriken i think, and it's an H57 board.

Back