GA-G33M-DS2R

For a complete stock setup and not using a video card temps shouldnt be a problem at all if the case has decent cooling properties.

Has anyone rma'd their board? I sent mine back to giga-byte over a month ago when it stopped working and haven't heard a word since. Is it common to take this long?

For a complete stock setup and not using a video card temps shouldnt be a problem at all if the case has decent cooling properties.

Would I be right in assuming that the southbridge ICH9 chipset has an integrated heat spreader, and the northbridge G33 chipset is just a bare die? If this is the case then I probably won't worry about it (as much as I'd like to use it as it's a very nice chipset cooler... but the risk of damaging the die isn't worth it.)

thanks

Its just a hunk of anodized aluminium sitting on top of a bare die. And in my experience (limited, but thorough), the hardest damn stuff I've ever seen. You shouldn't be able to damage your chipset if you take it off, but its hard to get off. Took me several minutes using qtips (wearing off the cotton, and eventually scrubbing at it with the plastic bits). AS5 did help though.

The Southbridge is, again, aluminium, with a bit of "thermal tape" (plastic film-ish thing) sitting on top of a plastic chip cover. Doesn't even get warm in normal operation anyways.

Thanks Leman.

I wasn't sure as coming from an AMD Athlon so everything runs so hot! I have read good things about Intel and power consumption of not only the CPU but also the chipsets, so I'll just leave it I think.

Thanks

gigabytedes2kw7.jpg

This new board features Ultra Durable 2–Dynamic Energy Saver. This unique multi-gear power phase design allows for the most efficient switching of power phases depending on CPU workload. It also features Ultra Durable 2-Advanced Power designHigh quality components design with Ferrite Core Chokes, Lower RDS (on) MOSFETsand Lower ESR Solid Capacitors. Unique design with virtual 12 phases in CPU power module, 2 phases in north bridge and 2 phases in DIMM. The board also comes with Unique thermal design featuring all copper Silent-Pipe and Crazy Cool and Japanese manufactured SMD All Solid Capacitor motherboard design.

this utility from gigabyte is compatible with g33m-ds2r:confused:

Most likely not. The DS2R page made no mention of a Dynamic Energy Saver.

Besides, judging by the 12 phase power, I bet you pulled that picture off a X48T-DQ6 review, didn't you? D:

*checked. Yes, you most likely did* >.>

I recently upgraded to the F7 bios and now the board refuses to boot if the RAM voltage is set to 2.2V. Anything below 2.2V is fine though. Anyone else having this issue? Anyone using 2.2V with the F7 bios?

What kind of aftermarket cooling [HSF] would you guys recommend to put into this mobo? I am planning using this mobo with a E6750 in a MicroFly case.

-Carlo

There is a new F8a beta bios which adds support for Wolfdale CPUs. Still no 1:1 divider for 800 fsb CPUs, though (still 2.66) ... :(

I don't have a wolfdale CPU, but otherwise I didn't notice anything changed in bios.

Guys, I have a little problem, and I'd like you to help me, if possible.

The thing is, yesterday I went into a store that had the DS2R on sale (well, the box, at least... lol). I asked for the price, and it sounded ok. Now for the weird part: the store owner told me (and backed that up with a picture from the supplier) the last DS2R he sold didn't have the 4x PCI-E slot...

Of course, as soon as I got home, I went on-line to check WTF was happening. Result: there are four G33M models (the G33-DS3 is full-ATX, so that doesn't count), two of them with 1x PCI-E slots, the other two with 4x slots. But the 1x slot ones are either the S2L or S2H, and the pictures of those boards are not compatible with the one I saw...

So, what gives? Are there really two different DS2R models? Or something more funky is happening?

Cheers.

Miguel

So, what gives? Are there really two different DS2R models? Or something more funky is happening?

Your mate's tripping out. The S2 and DS2R have the orange 4x slots. I'd like (hate) to see a DS2R with the black 1x slot.

I'm having trouble flashing the bios on my new replaced G33M-S2. My old one flashed fine. It currently has the F5 bios and I need F6 for the 2.66 (and with the new F7 bringing out support for the new CPU's). I get a write error when I use @Bios. Since I have no floppy drive, is there any other way/program to safely flash the bios? Can Qflash use something other than a floppy disk?

It could be some kind of write protection, but I don't see any options in the bios.

Since I have no floppy drive, is there any other way/program to safely flash the bios? Can Qflash use something other than a floppy disk?
I have heard of a problem with the Gigabyte G33 boards, very similar to what you're describing. It seems the earlier BIOSes had a lock mechanism option the new ones don't have. Meaning that, if for some reason that lock mechanism was tripped (user-based or otherwise), the BIOS would flash only once, resulting in the kind of behaviour you're experiencing.

The correction for that problem is to flash an eariler BIOS, with lock support, unlock it and then flash the new BIOS. I believe I saw that in this very thread, so you should only need to do a quick search (else, go to the XS forum GA-G33M-DS2R thread).

Now, how to update. If you can't update from Windows, you can try the embedded BIOS flash utility (if there is one, I'm not really sure for this board), either by placing the BIOS file on the C: root (boot drive, but any one should work), or on a pen drive. Some BIOS flash utilities are compatible with NTFS partitions, others are FAT-only; and only some of them are pen-drive compatible. The manual should be your friend here, it will tell you exactly what you can use to flash the BIOS from the BIOS itself.

If you can't flash from BIOS, and since you don't have a floppy drive (I only have one at each location I have PCs, which means I have two), your only option is to make a pen drive bootable (Google it, I think it needs more than just copying a couple of files over), put the BIOS file on the pen drive and flash from DOS, as you would with a floppy.

I hope this helps.

@Leman: I'd have to agree with you on the "tripping" part, since the guy totally messed up with mini-ITX and micro-ATX formats, actually saying the 24x24cm boards (uATX) are actually called "mini-ATX"... I had to bite myself so I didn't call him an idiot right there and then. But the thing is, the picture he had on the supplier's website clearly showed a uATX Gigabyte board (the colour is a dead giveaway) with a bottommost 1x PCI-E slot (like in PEG, PCI, PCI, PCI-E 1x), 4 orange SATA ports (I think they were 4, rather than 6...), and the writing clearly said "GA-G3...." (don't remember the rest, but I'm almost sure it was G33-based...)

Oh, well, I think I'll have to order one, if I want to find out...

Thanks for the input, though. I'll keep you updated.

Cheers.

Miguel

Thanks for the help __Miguel_. I'll give it a shot. I'll try either the embedded bios flasher that comes with the bios package, or the built in one (Qflash) if I can get a USB flash recognized as a floppy drive. The joys of bios flashing...woo :p

I know the F3 bios does not have the flash lock so I'm looking at either F1, F2 or F4..hmmm

new to the thread, just wondering if there are any utilities I can use to monitor cpu or motherboard temps?

Coretemp is most popular for Intel dual and quad cpu temps. SpeedFan and Everest are also popular. I use both CoreTemp and SpeedFan for my temp monitoring.

Has anyone rma'd their board? I sent mine back to giga-byte over a month ago when it stopped working and haven't heard a word since. Is it common to take this long?

Yeah, I called after two weeks and they basically said, "Yeah, we'll put a "rush" order in the ticket for you." I made sure to call the next week, (which is actually what the first rep said to do) and verified that it was moving along and would be back with me shortly.

I think it took about a month to get back to me, and in case you're wondering, this is the horror that happened to me:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1263760

I use both CoreTemp and SpeedFan for my temp monitoring.
With the added bonus you can actually control the fan speeds with Speedfan... hehehe

Btw, anyone care to post the correct Speedfan settings for this board? I don't think it has really been made...

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Miguel

Yo!
I just picked this board up from newegg. I want to also pickup an e8400, but I'm not sure if the board will accept it if it doesn't have the latest bios update.

SO, do any of you know if the recent boards available now come with the latest bios? Gigabyte site has it dated for 12-17-07 I think.

It would suck for the board to reject the chip leaving me to buy a temporary CPU :eek:

edit:
NICE overclock! What's the cheapest memory that'll give me an overclock like that(once I get system in order)? Stock HSF? Also, why are you using onboard video? Allows faster clock setting?

this is the memory you have? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211188

First of all dont' worry about the compatibility, I booted the E8400 CPU with F7 BIOS. The system will boot with any BIOS I think, even it eventualy displays "unknown CPU".

Second, you can go for A-DATA PC2 6400 value ram (1GB/stick with no sinks) wich allows you the same overclock range >=1000MHz for DDR2. As you can see here: http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1031393350&postcount=725

Stock HSF seems too small, inefficient and loud, so I have an old Thermalright XP90.
And finally, I run that setup, because I have no video card for the moment :D

I hate to thread crap, but I bought this board for my buddy's Micro Fly build and my Asus P5E-VM HDMI has me spoiled. There ocing options on this board pale in comparison and to get to them you have to use the "secret keystrokes" :rolleyes: I also like the two saveable BIOS backups the Asus has for saving your OCing settings.

A mild overclock. DDR2-900, probably. Maybe extra voltage.

Other note: The DS2R has 8 spaces for BIOS configurations. Or was it 12? Anyways, its plenty. I've used 4 myself (stock, different overclocks).

Need a quick advice:
I was going to exchange my e6750 before it shipped for this e8400, but now that it's transit I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble to send it back for a refund(unopened w/o fees)
I bought this system initially just to play HD media since my a64 isn't so great with that(keepking price low)
So what I'm saying is, is it worth returning it and paying $30 extra for the e8400? I'm thinking to jump on a quad core if I go through the trouble of returning. Could help with 3d work if I decide to jump back on that or video work. :eek:

E8400 is not only faster and cooler (per clock), but it has also the SSE4.1 instruction set, wich may help you if the apls. you run have or will have proper optimisation.

Meanwhile, some action at 4.1 Ghz :)

There's alot of talk about the E8400 becoming the new sweet spot for price vs performance in the mid cpu sector. Currently held by the E6750. Not sure if thats happened yet or not though. I havent been following the pricing on the new chips vs the E6750 all that closely.

Going to send back the CPU and memory modules for this e8400 and some faster memory. Maybe that A-DATA extreme 2GB kit.

alright, so i ordered one of these boards and will be putting it into a silverstone sg-03 with a q6600 g0 and a zalman CNPS8700 with 2x2GB sticks of corsair xms2.

so, if i'm trying to hit 3.0 with the q6600, i need to set the FSB to 333 with the default 9 multiplier, correct? what should the mem divider optimally be set at on this board (my sticks will be 800MHz DDR2-800/PC2-6400 5-5-5-18 timings default)? i've heard that the F4A bios should allow a 1:1, but is stepping down to the old bios really the best thing to do? also, should i manually set the voltages for the cpu or keep it set at auto, and will this overclock most likely need a voltage bump?

sorry for the noobish questions from the o'cing newbie.

so, if i'm trying to hit 3.0 with the q6600, i need to set the FSB to 333 with the default 9 multiplier, correct?
Correct

what should the mem divider optimally be set at on this board (my sticks will be 800MHz DDR2-800/PC2-6400 5-5-5-18 timings default)? i've heard that the F4A bios should allow a 1:1, but is stepping down to the old bios really the best thing to do? also, should i manually set the voltages for the cpu or keep it set at auto, and will this overclock most likely need a voltage bump?
Usually 1:1 is best when OC'ing, because it doesn't stress the memory as much. With that level of OC, you could perfectly get by with DDR2-667 sticks on 1:1. It's waaaay to late for me to make the 4:5 333:? math (I'm practically sleeping here...), so please check how would your DDR2-400 sticks work with that divider.

As for 1:1 on 1066MHz CPUs, it seems the new F7 motherboard also handles this CPU/divider configuration, so you don't need to roll back to that old beta BIOS.

For Voltage settings, try forcing your default VID first, to see if your CPU is stable with stock voltages at that high OC. If it works, you'll have the advantage of possibly keep using the C1E feature; if not, try setting default VID+a small increment, varying the increment untill the OC becomes rock stable. C1E might work here, but you might need special software for it...

Cheers.

Miguel

P.S.: Sorry, I'm REALY sleepy. I'll help more in a few hours, if needed.

thanks for that post miguel. this helps out a lot. i'll post my results once i can try them out. i will be putting my new system together this weekend so i'm sure i'll have a few questions for you. thanks again.

Hey guys. I just made a thread about this in the MoBo-section, but i figured i'd post it here aswell.

I've got a really weird problem with this board, and i was kind of hoping any of you might know something about what's wrong.

The problem: I got this board just a few days ago together with an E2180 (the Yorkfields won't show up in Sweden for a while), and everything worked great "Out of the box" tried some mild OCing aswell, got it to 2.4GHz no problem. However then I decided to flash the BIOS to F7, to gain lower memory dividers (memory won't go past 888MHz). I flashed via the @bios software, and it appeared the flash was successful.

Now, however, the system won't allow me to set the FSB speed manually in the M.I.T, every time I do, even if i set it to 200, the system will reboot half-way through the POST. OCing from within windows works just fine, with the supplied gigabyte software, but I'd like the added flexibility of OCing from within BIOS...

I've tried flashing back and forth, and is currently back at F7. This is really annoying, since i don't really like to be stuck at 1.8GHz :(

Anyone have any ideas?

Other than this, the system is rock-solid

Thanks in advance, and sorry about the long post :cool:

vcore is in the screenshot, vdimm was 2.2V

Somehow strange, but I obtained a better score with the old F5 BIOS and FSB500, even if CPU was running at exactly 4GHz (but with some faster DDR2 settings) :

Back