GA-G33M-DS2R

Thanks man!
From now on i'm going to read more. I do appreciate it.
F4a is recommended for all FSB1066 processors.

Otherwise, any other BIOS will do for FSB1333.

2x multiplier means a 1:1 ratio.
2.5x multiplier means a 4:5 ratio.

Wish people would read the thread, its been asked several times now.

I just got my g33 in yesterday and i'm loving it! I was wondering though, how high of a stable clock do you think i can get off of a E6600 with a blue orb cooler.

btw i have to take pix, the clearance of the blue orb in my lanbox is instane, i had to bend the side of the case out a bit to get it in past the bend at the rear of the case.

Hi

You can also mount blue orb after you slide in motherboard tray without bending the side of the case.

Just for the info: Thermalright SI-128 SE fits G33M-DS2R and Lanbox, but Thermalright LGA775 Bolt-Thru Kit must be used, you can use it passive ([email protected] stock vcore up to 67C load, about 1cm clearance between heatsink and psu) or with a fan mounted under the fins to blow air towards the psu (80mm fan fits without removing two support brackets or 120mm fan if you remove them)

Have a nice day

Cool info on the SI128.

Have you tried taping up the sides so that there's a bit of a seal between the PSU/Heatsink?

What're temperatures like with an 80? a 120?

Also, by support bracket... you mean the ones that keep the heatpipe in shape? :/ I wouldn't be too keen to mount a 120mm in that case.

i only tried with 80mm Scythe Minibea ~2800rpm mounted under the fins, cpu oc @ 3600MHz 1.45Vbios, 1.36V load, temps ~40C idle, ~66-68 load, but psu gets pretty hot.
yes, support brackets are the ones that keep the heatpipe in shape, they need to be cut off the base of the heatsink, but for now i didn't want to damage heatsink
at the moment im using full size atx case, 120mm 1900rpm fan on si-128 - cpu @ 3800MHz 1.5375 in bios, 1.44V load in OS, idle 38-39C, load orthos max 63C, case doors closed
this motehrboard is pretty good overclocker, 475fsb rock stable, stock voltages, will try higher when i get 40mm fan for nb. And it was also running stable with 4 sticks of OCZ pc6400 Gold at 450fsb.

Hi

When i use fully my cpu [email protected] 100% -load-:-without o/c-
Intel thermal show temps : CPU0: 73 CPU1: 79
Speed fan :core0: 59 core1: 63
Everest Ultimate Edition : core0: 60 core1: 64

When i use my cpu [email protected] between 0% Aand 14%:-without o/c-
Intel thermal show temps : CPU0: 52 CPU1: 55
Speed fan 4.33 :core0: 33 core1: 35
Everest Ultimate Edition : core0: 33 core1: 34

What soft can i trust?

Thx

Why don't you use CoreTemp?

Although Everest/Speedfan seem to be giving you accurate readings.

D-d-d-d-OUBLE POST

I think I figured it out.

Remember to mount the XP120 so that the heat pipes face the IO connections. The base of the XP120 is long so it can accommodate several orientations, and as such, mounting it so the heatpipes face the memory makes the base collide with the capacitors next to the MOSFETs.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/DeathseekerWR/E4300/XP120/DSC00574.jpg

Idling @ 1.8GHz, 2MB L2, 23'C
Load @ 41'C

Haven't got my overclock back up yet.

Very happy.

I've installed the sound driver (Realtek HD Audio) straight off the disk on two computers (Vista, XP) and they work perfeclty.

If you didn't do that though...

I've installed the sound driver (Realtek HD Audio) straight off the disk on two computers (Vista, XP) and they work perfeclty.

If you didn't do that though...

no i've done that. .several times by now, even in safe mode. But when I check audio devices it doesn't list anything. Pretty frustrating when not a single other thing has gone wrong with this build.

hi guys, did anyone was able to make use of more than 3,2GB of Ram with vista with this mobo?
I have installed 4gb of Ram on my pc, and with Vista 32 bit it will only recognize 3,2gb.
I tried vista 64-bit and with that OS installed all the 4gb of memory is recognized and used.
The problem is that my TV card doesn't work with vista 64 bit,so I have to stick with vista 32-bit.So I was wondering if there was a method to make the system see more than 3,2gb of ram (even 3,5 o better 3,8 would be a good result for me).
Does anyone have this mobo, 4gb of ram and vista 32bit?

hi guys, did anyone was able to make use of more than 3,2GB of Ram with vista with this mobo?
I have installed 4gb of Ram on my pc, and with Vista 32 bit it will only recognize 3,2gb.
I tried vista 64-bit and with that OS installed all the 4gb of memory is recognized and used.
The problem is that my TV card doesn't work with vista 64 bit,so I have to stick with vista 32-bit.So I was wondering if there was a method to make the system see more than 3,2gb of ram (even 3,5 o better 3,8 would be a good result for me).
Does anyone have this mobo, 4gb of ram and vista 32bit?
The "3.2GB" cap is an endemic design flaw on memory management for 32bit systems. There is little to nothing that can be done to go around this one. Some motherboards have a "memory remap" feature, which changes the "shadow" addresses every memory-accessing component on the motherboard uses (way too complicated to a single post, if you need more info, please tell me about it, I'll explain it better). However, sometimes this option is not available, others doesn't work all that well (and hence the manufacturers don't implement it, so there are no software issues).

So, in short, 3.2GB is usually the maximum memory available for 32bit Windows. It can be even less, especially if you have Vista and multiple GPUs with LOTS of RAM. The way around it: nag the TV card manufacturers to death for 64bit driver support :D OR change the TV card :p;)

Cheers.

Miguel

Does the GA-G33M-DS2R x16 slot really mean 16 or is it capped to x4 ?

x16 bandwidth on mine. I haven't tried the x4 slot, but I believe it doesn't have a rear plastic piece so you could put another video card in the x4 slot if you so desired (x4/x16 crossfire even supported IIRC).

The board that is limited to 4x is the one that has HDMI and/or DVI on the backplane. I can't remember its model number.

I'm deciding which version of vista to go for 32bit or 64 - does the 64 bit ver work ok on this board - any problems with the on-board sound drivers ?

yea, for whatever reason no matter how many times or ways I install the onboard audio device drivers I can't get XP to recognize it. I've heard of several people having this problem, but I can't seem to narrow down the cause.

I'm deciding which version of vista to go for 32bit or 64 - does the 64 bit ver work ok on this board - any problems with the on-board sound drivers ?

I have 64-bit Vista on this board and no problems. Using the drivers from the install cd too.

yea, for whatever reason no matter how many times or ways I install the onboard audio device drivers I can't get XP to recognize it. I've heard of several people having this problem, but I can't seem to narrow down the cause.
That is usually caused by the lack of a particular Microsoft update for Windows XP, which adressed the HD-Audio issue. I've come across this very problem on several systems since I first started building HD-Audio enabled boxes. The Realtek drivers have that update embedded, but for some reason they don't seem to be able to install it :rolleyes:

The best way to go around this issue is to install SP2, update the system (two to three reboots needed for the updates) and only then trying to install the audio drivers.

Please let me know if this helps.

Cheers.

Miguel

can anyone confirm a tv tuner card that works well with this board if you have vista installed ? seems everyone is having problems with either drivers or sleep/hibernate issues.

Anyone use 8GB of memory with this board? What sticks are you using? What BIOS version? Thanks!

Has anyone setup Raid 0 on the ICH9R? I had a hell of time just installing XP with 2 250gb Samsungs in Raid 0....I had to use nLite to slipstream the drivers to my windows setup disc. Windows setup would bluescreen when loading the drivers from the floppy Disc.

After I got over that part everything seemed to work fine until I noticed my Audio skipping and popping whenever the Hard Disks were doing any major writes or reads( and an occasional bluescreen). The Skipping happened on the Integrated Realtek and PCI express Audigy X-Fi that I bought in hope of resolving the problem. I updated every Driver, rolled back a few, Flashed the BIOS, Changed the memory timings, I tried every BIOS setting I could think of that would have an effect.

I ended up having to disable the RAID in the BIOS and reinstall windows again to get rid of the problem (losing my plug and play capability with an eSATA drive). I have read that SATA RAID can cause audio problems because it shares the PCI bus bandwith, I'm just wondering if this has been happening to anyone else with a GA-G33M-DSR2.

-BW

i just finished reading this entire thread to see what i could find for settings for a a q6600 overclock. I told myself i wanted to reach just 9x333 but now I want more. 9x333 is no sweat. I just manually kept the vcore at 1.325 and everyhting else at normal. Using F4a with memory at 667. I dont see the temps ever going above 61c. The cores are usually around 57-59c will running Prime95.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...rang/bench.jpg

I am now going to try 9x400. I probably wont be able to make it stable, but i must try. If temps are too high, Ill apply some AS5 and try again. Im using the thermal paste that came with the HSF now.

DSC_0002.jpg

Im trying to clock my 4 sticks of DDR2 8500 past 333 on this board but atm, the GMCH needs +2v to keep stable @ 333. How safe is raising the (G)MCH voltage on this board? Ram also seems to need +.1v more than it did with only 2 sticks installed to be orthos stable.

BTW, im currently limited by the lack of 1:1 with my 4300.

Did some reading on intel's electrical specs for the P35/G33...

11.1 Absolute Minimum and Maximum Ratings

The following table specifies the Intel 82Q35, 82Q33, 82G33 GMCH and 82P35 MCH
absolute maximum and minimum ratings. Within functional operation limits,
functionality and long-term reliability can be expected.

At conditions outside functional operation condition limits, but within absolute
maximum and minimum ratings, neither functionality nor long-term reliability can be
expected. If a device is returned to conditions within functional operation limits after
having been subjected to conditions outside these limits, but within the absolute
maximum and minimum ratings, the device may be functional, but with its lifetime
degraded depending on exposure to conditions exceeding the functional operation
condition limits.

At conditions exceeding absolute maximum and minimum ratings, neither functionality
nor long-term reliability can be expected. Moreover, if a device is subjected to these
conditions for any length of time its reliability will be severely degraded or not
function when returned to conditions within the functional operating condition limits.

I've since been able to lower GMCH voltage another .05V by using the under-voltage control in conjunction with +0.2V overvoltage, giving a sum of 1.5V while staying orthos stable, but this still puts it way past intel's MAX spec of 1.375V. Stock GMCH voltage is 1.25V according to the chart, so with my additional 0.15V that would sum up to 1.40V, ouch.

Temperatures on the other hand are below average. Even with +2 GMCH with ram running 1110 MHz, northbridge idles at 39C while maxing out at 43C. Just wondering if these MCHs are susceptible to instant death if exposed to voltages past their rated max or is intel just keeping things on the safe side? Intel rates their CPUs with specific max vcore ratings but everyone OCs past those "max" ratings, with no significant hit to its lifespan.

I noticed the board was not orthos stable with 4 sticks @ 1066 on 4x ratio (266x4), even with +0.2V GMCH. Funny thing was it ran without error @ 1066 using the 3.33x ratio (320x3.33) with +0.15V GMCH. Seems the divider is causing an issue somewhere and board wont OC 4 sticks very easily past 300, at least not with my E4300 that can handle at least 350Mhz FSB from testing. With 2 sticks GMCH does not need any boost and I can max out the sticks @ 1250+ 2.2V. So far my sweet spot is 9x320/(3.33x)1066 + 0.15 GMCH, as 9x333 needs +0.2 GMCH.

Hey guys im wondering if the overclocking and stability is any different between the 3 versions on newegg

GIGABYTE GA-G33M-S2 LGA 775 Intel G33 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

GIGABYTE GA-G33M-S2H LGA 775 Intel G33 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

GIGABYTE GA-G33M-DS2R LGA 775 Intel G33 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

im wondering this cause my roommate has the DS2R and it does cost more, and the others are cheaper but are they just extra features or are there anything else different with the bios and overclock? might be looking at a quad core for xmas

Hey guys im wondering if the overclocking and stability is any different between the 3 versions on newegg

GIGABYTE GA-G33M-S2H LGA 775 Intel G33 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

im wondering this cause my roommate has the DS2R and it does cost more, and the others are cheaper but are they just extra features or are there anything else different with the bios and overclock? might be looking at a quad core for xmas
Here's a quick rundown on Gigabyte motherboard naming convention to answer part of your question:

GA -> Gigabyte (duh :rolleyes:)
<-->
xxxx -> Chipset used (in this case, the G33)
M -> If present, the motherboard has a mATX form factor
C -> If present, the motherboard has two different memory interfaces (eg.: P35C)
<-->
D -> If present, the motherboard is part of the "ultra durable" series (meaning: different caps)
Sx -> Refers to the BIOS OC-friendlyness, 2 being the lowest, 5 the highest
R -> On Intel-based motherboards, it denotes the presence of a ICHxR (RAID) southbridge
H -> Not very common, denotes the HDMI output on the backplate (though I think sometimes it can also refer to "ROHS" compliance)

And then you have the "-DQ6" boards, which essentially are "DS5R" motherboards with even more BIOS options (if available), and some extras (read: everything AND the kitchen sink), including 12-phase power regulators, quad-BIOS, fancy heatpipes and usually a better HD codec.

As for the other part of the question, my guess is that the "plain" S2 variants should be a little worse OC'ing. But I don't reaaly know about that.

Cheers.

Miguel

Here's a quick rundown on Gigabyte motherboard naming convention to answer part of your question:

H -> Not very common, denotes the HDMI output on the backplate (though I think sometimes it can also refer to "ROHS" compliance)

It also means that the 16x PCIe slot is only 4x in actuality due to the lanes being used for the onboard HD outputs. I believe that the GigE chip is riding the PCI slow bus on that model, too.

The S2 and S2H are not good overclocking mobos. Th DS2R however is. The S2 & S2H are just budget boards for those not wanting to spend alot nor interested in overclocking. If you want overclocking goodness you are limited to the DS2R or the P5K-VM for now.

ok guys thanks for that figured as much as my roommate has the DSR2 and it seems to be good for his C2D, would you guys recommend it for a quad core? to have a modest overclock nothing extreme

Personally, I prefer the P5K-VM over the DS2R but thats just me. A lot of people have used the DS2R and a Q6600 with good success. The Q6600 runs hotter than the dualcores though so just be aware of that. That can be a limiting factor when trying to OC a Q6600 in a SFF case. It has more to do with the size of (small boxes limit hsf size and are harder to cool) and the cooling capabilities of the SFF case than anything else. Just make sure the SFF case you choose has good cooling abilities.

Back