GA-G33M-DS2R

If you're set on Intel, I would say a E6550. Its already a 7x multi though, but as long as the price is right...

I'm sorry, my understanding of the rationale for CPU choice in this context is quite limited. Why is a 7x multi bad? My guess is that the higher the base FSB (and lower the multi) the less OC possibilities. It would also mean dropping to 6x EIST would do almost nothing...odd bit of engineering, that.

Since when did processors affect voltage? Anyways, VCore should be absolute. I do remember setting my VCore at 1.325, not +0.0. I think it undervolts to around 1.16 or something.

i had read that the range of VCores made available by the mobo depends on the processor's native stepping/VCore. Could be that it's purely mobo-dependent, though. 1.16 doesn't sound like all that much of an undervolt for some processors...

Yes, but that'd be going to AMD's side. I never considered making an Intel HTPC.

I've certainly considered going the AMD route. The mATX mobos i read about didn't sound very compelling, though. I'll check out the AN-M2. I read about the Fusion case on silentpcreview, and it does come with a pretty decent power supply, but I may be doing a PicoPSU mod if i can get the power low enough. The good thing about that case is that i will probably be able to (and want to) keep using it until (m)ATX is dead.

I always liked AMD, but I would still recommed the G33/core2duo combo - unfortunately...

Oh? I've seen some reviews that put uV/uc C2Ps at better consumption than AMD setups, and some that go the other way. Price would then dictate AMD, but performance perhaps Intel. What's your reason for recommending Intel?

I've tried under-volting with this board and it works fine. ...

Did you try something like crystalcpuid to set custom voltages and multis? I don't have a system that it works on, so i'm wondering if it can set lower voltages than the lowest EIST ones. I'm guessing "no" (i think it has to use VIDs and i gather that VIDs are mostly used in EIST) -- if someone could clarify that it would be great.

If you plan to occasionally overclock as well, I would rather recommend the quite similar asus G33 board that has 1:1 ram dividers for using cheaper ram till Gigabyte gets their act together on this issue - or buy a 1333 fsb cpu.

I guess i need to figure out if i'm going to use EIST or not. It sounds like avoiding it could actually give better power savings: getting a 1333 FSB CPU and trying to use EIST sounds pretty pointless.

The new version of the fusion, I heard, come with a similar 430W psu.
Good luck with your built and welcome back....:)

Yes, that's right. I first heard about it on silentpcreview. :)

Thanks for your help!

lalala. i'm kind of aloof about the 1:1 divider issue. i am using a bios that allows me to use 1:1. so i'm runnin just fine even though i'm usig d9gmh ram. kind of a waste because i'm not really pushing too hard of an overclock, but then again this board can only go 490htt at the moment (haven't tweaked the sucker yet). havent even bothered looking for ram timings. i'm afraid to flash to new bios. anything good that would be worth doing away with 1:1 divider?

lalala. i'm kind of aloof about the 1:1 divider issue. i am using a bios that allows me to use 1:1. so i'm runnin just fine even though i'm usig d9gmh ram. kind of a waste because i'm not really pushing too hard of an overclock, but then again this board can only go 490htt at the moment (haven't tweaked the sucker yet). havent even bothered looking for ram timings. i'm afraid to flash to new bios. anything good that would be worth doing away with 1:1 divider?

improved ps2 keyboard support

improved ps2 keyboard support

lol.. serious? wow. ok, i guess i'll keep what i have. i was just hoping it wasn't a "the 1:1 divider supervolts the components for a few nanoseconds every second so we had to take it off the bios" kind of thing.

I was under the impression that the 1:1 was still available for high FSB CPUs. Was it removed? :eek:

I was under the impression that the 1:1 was still available for high FSB CPUs. Was it removed? :eek:

I think it was reported by some the 1:1 was removed in the last BIOS update. Not sure if that was rectified or not though.

Leman said:
My bad. It actually undervolts to 0.5VCore. Just checked yesterday.

Ok cool; thanks for reporting.

I think it was reported by some the 1:1 was removed in the last BIOS update. Not sure if that was rectified or not though.

I've pretty much decided on an E6750 and this mobo, but if 1:1 isn't possible with 1333 FSB CPUs it's a definite deal-breaker. Please report, anyone with the most recent BIOS!

What're you talking about?
FSB1333 has always had 1:1 support, ever since F2.
F4a (not d) had 1:1 for FSB1066.

What're you talking about?
FSB1333 has always had 1:1 support, ever since F2.
F4a (not d) had 1:1 for FSB1066.

Ok, that's why i was asking for clarification. I consider 1066 to be a "high" FSB speed...

I'm looking at two options for memory: Patriot Extreme and OCZ Reaper. Pretty incredible price on either with the rebate (ugh rebates :p). It sounds like it's half a dozen of one, six of the other but if anyone has any comments on either memory for the board that would be cool.

The only issue of RAM incompatiblity I've ever seen on any board was OCZ and some NF5 boards.

Technically it doesn't matter which one you buy, but the Patriots should be D9 based. Might not be. Most 6400 RAM isn't, unless its labelled as "Extreme" or are Ballistix.

Which you should buy.

Because Ballistix offer you D9s at a low price. Guaranteed.

The only issue of RAM incompatiblity I've ever seen on any board was OCZ and some NF5 boards.

Technically it doesn't matter which one you buy, but the Patriots should be D9 based. Might not be. Most 6400 RAM isn't, unless its labelled as "Extreme" or are Ballistix.

Which you should buy.

Because Ballistix offer you D9s at a low price. Guaranteed.

Yeah, i guess i've decided that $70 vs. $110 for the RAM is worth that tradeoff, though. :eek: Sacrilege, right? Burn me at the stake... :D

I don't really see myself using more than a 66 MHz FSB OC, anyway, or whatever the RAM will give me above that.

i have the patriot ram, its good, runs fast and can be oced, but my mobo cant take it to where i wanna take it.

Just tried it and it's giving me headaches. I had my cpu clocked at 400x7 and mem at 500 with the 2.50 divider before upgrading. With the F5, the computer won't even post at that speed. The fan on my video card just spins at full speed at boot with no screen. Other than that, the only thing I see differant with this bios is that the CPU types is now what determines what memory dividers are available. Not really sure if this was an option in pervious versions. Since I have a 1066 CPU, it gives me a 2.50, 3.00, and now a 4.00 which wasn't available before. For the time being I have it now clocked at 8x333 with the mem and my divider at 3.00. I'll do some more tinkering around and post any news as I come across it. :cool:

Hi all, this is my current system:

Core2Duo 6750 - 2.66Ghz
Corsair 6400 RAM - Twin 2z 1024
Nvidia 8600 GTS 265MB RAM
GA-G33M-DS2R Mainboard - On F4b BIOS
1x 500Gb SATA Seagate
1x Sony DVD R/W

At the moment this system, when cold will turn on, the keyboard lights flash persistenetly, and nothing is shown on the monitors, there are also no beeps.

If I then press the reset key everything works fine and I suffer no further issues and it boots into VISTA after one beep.

This has really got me struggling, anyone else suffering the same issues? - Anyone any ideas!?

Thanks a lot

AFF

Hey guys i have this board with 2x1gb cruical balistix, i was looking at a manual way to tighten the timings to 4-4-4-12 instead of 5-5-5-18 and in cpu z it lists it at 2.2 volts but in the bios i cant see how to adjust the timings unless i can just throw 2.2 instead of 1.8 and will it change the timings auto?

Under Ctrl+F1 MIT, change from "Set with SPD" (or something like that) to Manual. That will unlock your memory timings.

You can also change voltages to 2.2v, but you could leave at 1.8v and it should still work. 2.0v would be the safe mark.

The voltages are relative for memory, so +0.0 is 1.8v, while +0.4v is 2.2v.

Thanks Leman, worked great i got my cruicals at 4-4-4-12 at 2.0volts only .1 over what they defaulted to (1.9) was wondering where the timings where :) nice little bump in speed for the same ram. defaults where 5-5-5-18 so thanks again not overclocking anything but more aggressive timings seem to be working better Thanks

hmmm... loving this board so far, but my e6320 is disappointing me. i can't seem to clock it stable after 2.9GHz. i don't like putting too much voltage into my parts, and even when i did it didnt get too much further. best i could do was 490x7... and that wasn't stable, just good enough to run a few short benchies. can't wait to get a 9x multiplier processor to make this board fly. :D i really do miss my old 3.6+GHz e6300 *sigh* haha.
stickin to F4a for now. don't want to mess with it. :p

Thanks Leman, worked great i got my cruicals at 4-4-4-12 at 2.0volts only .1 over what they defaulted to (1.9) was wondering where the timings where :) nice little bump in speed for the same ram. defaults where 5-5-5-18 so thanks again not overclocking anything but more aggressive timings seem to be working better Thanks

If you're feeling really adventurous, see if you can hit 3-3-3-8 or 10 @ 2v or 2.2v.

haha i might if it was my board, its my roommates and he asked me how to do it lol. by tighting the timings i was able to get about 400 MB/s more bandwidth and like a 5 ns less latency

Hi all, this is my current system:

Core2Duo 6750 - 2.66Ghz
Corsair 6400 RAM - Twin 2z 1024
Nvidia 8600 GTS 265MB RAM
GA-G33M-DS2R Mainboard - On F4b BIOS
1x 500Gb SATA Seagate
1x Sony DVD R/W

At the moment this system, when cold will turn on, the keyboard lights flash persistenetly, and nothing is shown on the monitors, there are also no beeps.

If I then press the reset key everything works fine and I suffer no further issues and it boots into VISTA after one beep.

This has really got me struggling, anyone else suffering the same issues? - Anyone any ideas!?

Thanks a lot

AFF

Anyone any ideas!?

I'd recommand the f4a bios as well, I have been using it for a while now, with 500fsb and 1:1 ratio no probs at all :)

Ok, here's what I'm running...

GA-G33M-DS2R (F5 bios)
C2D E6850 (1.456v, 399x9)
TR Ultra 120 Extreme (panflo 105cfm)
Corsair 620HX
8800GTX
2x1gb Ballistix 6400 @ 4-4-4-12
WD250KS
LG DVDRW

I've been following this thread since shortly after it started, and it actually lead to my purchace of this mobo. I've been pretty happy with it until a few days ago. I was trying to tweak my overclock to get a bit higher speed. I initially got it to 3.4ghz no problem, tightened ram timings and such, turned on speed step and all was well. I left it like that for a few weeks, then...

Just a few days ago, I decided (for no apparent reason) to tweak it up to 3.6. That seems to be the magic oc number for this processor. That's when the mobo started fighting back. I got it to a stable 3.59 @ 1.456v (399 fsb 9x multiplier). As soon as I turned the fsb up to 400, it wouldn't post. Regardless of the cpu voltage I applied. I tried setting the cpu voltage to 1.6, then posting at 399 x 9 and it worked. Then I opened up easytune and upped the bus speed to get 3.9ghz. I then ran orthos for about 2 hours without errors. My max core temperature was ~60c. But, when I tried to post with 1.6v and anything over 399 bus, it wouldn't. I tried upping the fsb voltage, ram voltage, and mch voltage, to no avail.

Does this wall exist for anyone else? I've seen others with different processors getting higher than 399, but their multipliers were smaller by default.

no fsb wall@400 for e6850:
3h02oe1.jpg

on air: tr ultra120 + scythe 120 NMB MAT high
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8205/g7102copierwo6.jpg
first released bios F2 used! vcore [email protected]

had +15°C for the core (speedfan & TAT do not read correctly G0 cores temperature: real value 69°C)

^ thanks for the response. Well at least I know it can be done, now I just need to find a way.

Could it be my bios? I updated it before I tried to go to the 399 bus. That was to the newest beta though (~ 1 week ago). I just updated to f5 yesterday. Still the same thing with the 400 bus.

Also, I tried dropping the multiplier and upping the bus speed and it wouldn't post either.

yes it might be the bios revision...
However, try this:
set your ram 5-6-6-15 and the rest to auto !
increase vddr up to +0.2v!
it's useless to increase vFSB ou vMCH, i think.....
vcore set to 1.5625v in bios or more...mutiplier to 9x

Ok, I'll do that. I'll repost when I'm done.

That's pretty much how I oc'd originally to 3.59, I disabled a few more features too.. I thought I could just tweak a little to get to 4.0.

yes it might be the bios revision...
However, try this:
set your ram 5-6-6-15 and the rest to auto !
increase vddr up to +0.2v!
it's useless to increase vFSB ou vMCH, i think.....
vcore set to 1.5625v in bios or more...mutiplier to 9x

Still wouldn't post. I turned off eist and speedstep as well. I tried with 1.5625 and 1.6v.

My next step will be f2 bios.

Getting 4GHz on a matx is pretty sexy not to mention impressive I think. A few months ago we were lamenting that matx Intel chipset mobos couldnt OC at all. Times have changed quickly. :)

F2 bios lets me post and boot windows at 400x9. But, when I start running orthos, 1-2 minutes into it, everything freezes and I have to reboot. I'm just going to leave it at 3.59 for now.

I've been following this thread for a while now, and there's something I'm still confused about... when people talk about the latest F5 BIOS only having a 1:1 ratio for 1333Mhz FSB processors, does that mean that if you take a Q6600 CPU (which has a 1066Mhz FSB) and move the FSB up to 1333Mhz that you can't run your ram at 1:1, thus you can't use 667Mhz DDR2 memory with a Q6600 and overclock it to 3.0Ghz? Or does it mean that you simply can't run 533Mhz DDR2 RAM at stock 1066Mhz FSB speeds?

I've been following this thread for a while now, and there's something I'm still confused about... when people talk about the latest F5 BIOS only having a 1:1 ratio for 1333Mhz FSB processors, does that mean that if you take a Q6600 CPU (which has a 1066Mhz FSB) and move the FSB up to 1333Mhz that you can't run your ram at 1:1, thus you can't use 667Mhz DDR2 memory with a Q6600 and overclock it to 3.0Ghz? Or does it mean that you simply can't run 533Mhz DDR2 RAM at stock 1066Mhz FSB speeds?

only e6x50 processors have 1:1 with this mobo on f5 bios. Changing the fsb to 1333mhz won't do anything to allow 1:1.

All versions of the bios for this board support 1:1 for 1333 FSB processors.

The Q6600 is a 1066 FSB processor. Overclocking it to 1333 FSB does not make it a natively 1333 FSB processor and thus does not enable the 1:1 divider.

If you want to hit 3 ghz with a q6600, you'd need to do 9x333 at a ratio of 1:2.5, giving you DDR2-833, so I'd recommend some good DDR2-800 or DDR2-1066 RAM.

For a 1333 FSB processor, I believe you'd need DDR2-667 for stock speeds. DDR2-533 wouldn't be fast enough.

How does the DS2R compare with the G33M-S2? I know the DS2R has solid caps and raid. But does the board layout or power circuitry differ between the two?

Back