GA-G33M-DS2R

Should the DS2R Bios work on the S2 as the only differences between the boards are the D solid capacitor and the R , ICH9 vs ICH9R northbridge.

Well the new dividers are great and all, but the range of CPUs that need it the most have been overseen...the 4xxx range, that is....:mad:

Let's hope they'll add the in the final bios...

So my E6400 would get a 1:1 divider?

I wanna "downsize" the computer in my sig to a HTPC and this motherboard looks like a winner.

wouldnt take a chance on the bios being compatible other wise id be buying a ds2 when the s2 doesnt boot lol.
allthough is there anyway to boot the computer remove the bios chip insert a blank and write to it to see?

The gts will fit just fine in the 3400 and you would have been able to run it with the included psu as well. I actually very much doubt that you'll find much difference performance/noise-vice by switching. There is just a 50W difference and they are both made by seasonic...
The Antec 380 runs very quiet and I only experienced its fan spinning up when the room temp was above 30c. I exchanged by 8800gts for a passively cooled asus 8600gt card, however (sufficient for my needs and totally silent).

I'll put it all in, just bought the S12 II 430W because I read it was better and more stable. The efficientcy on low load is much better also. I'll keep thinking (dreaming) it will earn itself back. Or maybe I'll put it for sale or keep it for a test setup or something. We'll see what happens to the Seasonic.

How well is G.Skill PC2-6400 "HZ" working?

I've got 4 sticks of 1GB. All are D9GMH, two are the old green PCB and two are the new black PCB.

Work great in my P5B DLX at 425MHz (never went beyond 437MHz, but it was stable there at 4-4-4-12)

They're great so far. Bought them because of the D9GMH Micron chips that should be in there underneath the black heatsink. Didn't check (warrenty void sticker) though if it's D9GMH. Running them on SPD so they do 5-5-5-15 on 1000Mhz on 2.0V now.

About the new bios. Let's mail Gigabyte they should also include the 800fsb CPU's and what about the upcomming 1333fsb CPU's? And is 1:1 also available when running a 1066fsb E6420 @ 333? (flashing tomorrow I think when diskdrive arrives which it needs).

Seems with stock Intel cooling my E6420 is at it's limit between 380 and 400Mhz FSB. With 400FSB a BSOD occurs during boot and it runs fine with 380FSB and mem on 2.5 divider on 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1V. Very nice from my point of view out of the box :)

I'll put it all in, just bought the S12 II 430W because I read it was better and more stable. The efficientcy on low load is much better also. I'll keep thinking (dreaming) it will earn itself back. Or maybe I'll put it for sale or keep it for a test setup or something. We'll see what happens to the Seasonic.

I haven't checked the seasonic but you can check out the antec (also built by seasonic) here: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article592-page1.html
I think the biggest advantage of the antec is the pass-through airflow which will give a bit of air to a hard drive in the top chamber. If it is more efficient I would probably keep the seasonic...

Ok, back to topic:
About the new bios. Let's mail Gigabyte they should also include the 800fsb CPU's and what about the upcomming 1333fsb CPU's? And is 1:1 also available when running a 1066fsb E6420 @ 333? (flashing tomorrow I think when diskdrive arrives which it needs).
I just mailed Gigabyte about the 800 fsb cpus. Could all those with 1066 do the same, please? Help us with budget cpus....;)
As far as I read, a 1333 cpu will make the 1:1 divider available also on the F2 bios.
A 1066@1333 will not change how the bios sees it. It still sees it as a 1066 cpu (same reason why we can't mod a 800 cpu to be seen as a 1066). So for that cpu you should flash to the f4(beta) bios.
I didn't bother to install a floppy, so I flashed from within Windows using the gigabyte utility. Worked like a charm. Like pvhk pointed out, the F4beta does not change the dividers for 800 fsb cpus. So people, please continue mailing gigabyte. ...

There are more changes from F3->F4b - a few settings that can no longer be adjusted (e.g., ram used by internal video in dos, framebuffer still adjustable). For some reason, if you switch of eist and overclock you can no longer switch in on again before you load defaults. You can then overclock with eist if you wish. I haven't noticed any difference in stability while overclocking. Most probably it is the lack of 1:1 divider that holds me back.

Anybody noticed if the north bridge runs cooler with the new bios, e.g. when running ram sync.?

I still think we can push AGAIN for 1:1 for E4xxx CPUs and for E2xxx CPUs. Or is there another "alleged" technical reason why it isn't possible !! :D :D

Now my 6400 is back rocking at 400fsb, 3.2ghz... everything else at default!

yep its hard to understand why gigabyte would shoot themselfs in the foot and then defend themselfs on the matter instead of just correcting what would appear to be atleast an oversight in the bios desighn.
i still maintain this boared would arguably be the best budget boared on the market in matx form if it wasnt for these bloody dividers

Given that its a budget board, given that budget users will use budget CPUs (ie 2xxx/4xxx) then they really ought to sort out dividers for those CPUs as well.

We need to STILL keep emailing/webforming Gigabyte support. Push until this baby is fully opened up. I'd buy a 2nd for another system if it was open.

not just for the ds2r either please across the g33m range i have the s2 and think it would be extremely unfair i miss out on this just because i opted out of raid

update from my corraspondance with gigabyte
(gigabyte)
Sorry this is hardware limitation, system memory multiplier can only select 3.33 and 4.00, this issue is not controlled by BIOS..

my reply
if this is truly the case how has the g33m-ds2r wich is identical bar the raid feature been given a 2.00 memdivider?

gigabyte
According to our test result, when using FSB 800 CPU, system memory multiplier can only choose 3.33 and 4.00, but if you use FSB 1066 CPU will only show 2.50, 3.00.

Regards,

my reply to this

isnt this down to the way you have programmed the bios?
you have added mutliplyers to the f4 release for the ds2r shouldnt it be a case of just allowing the cpu id to be linkd to these mutliplyers aswell after all it is the tech guys that write the limitations/restrictions into the bios file.
im 99% sure that the closest rival in chipset/form fact released my asus supports a 1:1 divider and a few other optionel dividers

here is a screen shot of a ds2r with updated bios showing mem dividers this is with a 1066fsb cpu installed but if it is possible to unlock these in the ds29r surely it should be possible to to unlock these across the model rang and cpu range
or was this a deliberate way of restricting the boareds to lower the cost to the consumer?

http://img122.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc06444nu2.jpg

here is a link to the support forum we have going for the countless people longing for this bios update

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1191867&page=22

feels a little like im baging my head against the wall im really concidering seelling this boared and buyung a replacemant shame really its less than a week old and bar this problem a perfect boared :(

Ok - last time I checked my @BIOS utility for a newer BIOS it suggested I download the P35 BIOS. Well I didn't.
It's quite clear that there is huge chance that this Bios will have worked on the my G33M-S2 as otherwise there would have been a lot of faulty flashes worldwide and this being 2007 we'll
have learnt by now. In my experience with my previous Soltek board - one bios was used for
a board with lan and 8 ch. audio and for a board with no lan and 6 ch. audio. It would seem again that the same bios is used for G33 variants and P35 and all versions,bar the top ones I guess by Gigabyte, and there is only a model check to see what's enabled.
Furthermore - I don't know if you have noticed but there is a option in Easytune to set different
mem multis but It says please restart and the program does seem to remember what it did.
So again - it's a definite software/firmware issue.
If a serious programer got to doing it - we could have all mem multis tommorow.
Someone with knowledge, but no stomach for BIOS could at least find the registers and in win use a hex editor to see if multipliers aren't somehow hardlocked, or are availible.
I guess the above is probably an oversimplification of things, but definately not a big one.

If it works for the G33M-S2 it could be the end of the issue
http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/513/memdiv.jpg
this is what's available in the Gigabyte P35-DS3R BIOS
it is of course on a 1066 CPU - but who knows maybe there is smth for 800 CPU also.
I would try the bios myself of course if I could fix/return the board. The local shop takes ages to repair a BIOS over here.
Anyone willing to test the P35BIOS on a G33?
It may need a new BIOS chip afterwards or it may be fine and full of sweet mem dividers :rolleyes:

can you hot swap bios chips?
these have 6 pin sm chips and im comfortably skilled enough to solder/desolder one of these i would just fit a mount buy a spare chip boot the pc with the correct bios chip then hotswap for a blank and flash in windows with the p35 bios can you see any problems with this?
og one more thing ill get in while im here my s2 wont boot from an ide drive for some reason why is that is there a option im missing in the bios?

So this board defentally got a 2.00 mem divider option (actually 1:1)???

I think a better argument to throw at Gigabyte is, "If ASUS can do it with their p5K-VM, which uses the same chipset, why cant Gigabyte?'. I'd be curious to their reply to that. :p

Obviously it has to do with the BIOS and nothing else. Gigabyte either didnt bother to or couldnt figure out how to. So either they got stingy/lazy or were not smart enough. :D

Seems that the tech support is a bit lacking to. Just got this reply:

Hi,

Sorry but this motherboard does not support memory 1:1 divider; the motherboard can support 1:2 and 1:1.33 divider but not 1:1.

I hope that 1:1 divider isn't axed...

It isn't axed, their tech support just isn't up to speed that's all. Not suprising, it happens with most companies in all businesses. You talk to one tech they tell you A, and another tech tells you B, while you yourself have already seen C and D and are wondering where E is.

All I know is, I'm gonna be flashing my BIOS to the beta when I get home, and I'm shooting for a 400FSB bus for a 3.2GHz e6400... Thank you Gigabyte!! :D

I think a better argument to throw at Gigabyte is, "If ASUS can do it with their p5K-VM, which uses the same chipset, why cant Gigabyte?'. I'd be curious to their reply to that.

Obviously it has to do with the BIOS and nothing else. Gigabyte either didnt bother to or couldnt figure out how to. So either they got stingy/lazy or were not smart enough.

i allready have along them lines, and low and behold im yet to recieve another reply yet my other replys were surprisingly prompt and to the mark
i asked him if it was a featur to limit the capacity of the boared but what do you know silance lol!.

The latest answer to my many mails to Gigabyte brings a bit of hope:

"The BIOS team might be working on 1:1 also on FSB 800 CPUs, but the coming features are not discussed before they reach a working state (ta avoid rumours etc) so we have to wait for another beta or possibly the next "real" BIOS version to see if it is available also on FSB800.

Of course we are always working on improving our products... "​

To which I could only write back:
Thanks. Keeping my fingers crossed.... ;-) If you somehow could send the bios team a notice about the lacking functionality for 800 fsb cpus, it would be cool. Many thanks in advance.

People are saying the northbridge runs hot... is it true? Do those who have this motherboard think after market cooling is necessary?

I sent tech support an email regarding the 1:1 divider on 800FSB proccessors, hopefully as suggested above it does get included!

my current max overclock on my e2160 is 2.6GHz with 512mb of A-DATA 667 ram running @ 966MHz, good for a 23sec 1M SP run.

more than happy with this board so far, as for the northbridge getting hot...*touch*, mine seems fine.

I never flashed a bios before, anyone know a guide here or can just tell me what to do?

Edit: Nevermind, found the one on their website -> http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/HowToReflashBIOS.aspx
But it requires a floppy of which I do not have. Does anyone know if there is another way with maybe a CD Rom or a USB drive?

Edit 2: Blah, nevermind becuase it's right on that page for @BIOS

Can anyone tell us what new overclocks you are getting with the new bios and under what settings/speeds/timings?

Guys, how do you set that 1:1 divider? I updated the bios and all I can see is 2:0 - 4:0. When I turn 2:00 my 800MHz ram works at 533 with e6700, then when changed it to 320MHz, all was ok, but when I hit 330MHz (cpu to 3,3GHz) computer reseted automaticly with bsod screen. How can I use that 1:1 to have for example 360MHz fsb? how high could I hit with my e6700?

1:1 is available in F4a bios, but if ur happy with ur oc and have good ram, DONT upgrade. I have ddr2 1000 and was oc'd to 400mhz fsb with ram at 1000mhz. Since upgrading I cant oc my ram at all, it just wont even post, the bios resets. I am reverting to f2 bios. Actually, was going to try f3 but won't. If it works, dont fix it.

1:1 is available in F4a bios, but if ur happy with ur oc and have good ram, DONT upgrade. I have ddr2 1000 and was oc'd to 400mhz fsb with ram at 1000mhz. Since upgrading I cant oc my ram at all, it just wont even post, the bios resets. I am reverting to f2 bios. Actually, was going to try f3 but won't. If it works, dont fix it.

I too am having mixed results with f4a. I didn't do a ton of tweaking, but my hope to hit a 400FSB by running the 1:1 divider seems to not be working. I too, cant get the computer to post above about 390FSB. I need to figure out what is holding the speed back. But that is gonna take a while.

But overall, 375MHz runs great still with the 2.00 settings or not.

I have upgraded the bios to that version but still do not see that 1:1 divider - it starts only from 2:0. What is wrong?

2 is 1:1 lol.

DDR2 memory operates 2 times the speed of ur fsb. So 2 is actually 1:1.

what was available before was 4:5 where the fsb is the 4 and the ram is 5.

If 400/4 X 5 = memory timing

Actually timing is multiplied by 2 because its ddr2

SO, 400/4 x 5 = 500mhz x 2 = 1000mhz

doin the math you will see it works out to 2.5 times the actuall fsb thus they put 2.5 in the bios

1:1 is the same as:

400/1 x 1 = 400mhz x 2 = 800mhs

doin the math again you will see it works out to being 2 times the actual fsb thus they put 2 in the bios

LOL

I'm not good at explaining, but i hope you get it LOL

Yes, I got it... so what do you guys do to OC? do you raise voltage on CPU or RAM? I put 2:0 (1:1:)) and 320MHz is far as I can go... 333 reboots all the time. Should I raise it to 400MHz and then I would have my ram working on stock 800MHz and CPU at 4GHz??? Or set about 350MHz??? Even 350MHz will set ram to 700MHz - that's 100MHz below stock, so why it doesn't work? WHat voltage should I raise?
Sorry for that all stupid questions, but I've never done OC before...

can someone post a link to the bios update please? is there more than one option?

thanks

Back