GA-G33M-DS2R

@matx2007, nice katana2!
What's your cpu temp idle , load?

cooling optimized in my case, home made : heatsink on cpu's mofsets

Yes I like the Katana as well. I'm sure temps would be better with the Ninja but I don't think it would fit - at least not my case were I have to have space for the parallel cable as well. The advantage is that it is (at least supposed to be) blowing air over the mofsets... (what cooler are you using there?). If looking into more cooling on this board, I think the north bridge would be my first priority.

You asked, so here are the temps (ambient: 30,5C):
Idle:
idle.jpg

Load:
load.jpg

Letting orthos run for hours would raise temps by a few degrees more. I just tired TAT as well: 69C on both cores.
That is much to much for my taste but 1. I would usually never push the computer in so hot ambient (just came in to check mail right now) and 2. I don't think anybody would ever manage to push the cores with games, etc. like TAT does. So I'm satisfied.:cool:

If looking into more cooling on this board, I think the north bridge would be my first priority.

Yup mine as well. Ivé added a simple fan I had lying around with some double-sided tape to the NB: i went from "too hot to touch" (even without using the on-board GFX) to lukewarm....

The SB could use a slightly bigger sink as well, although it isn't getting as hot as the NB

@matx2007!
I think my rig inspired yours!

Will post my temp...
one "old" screen fsb@333

Yes, you were definitely one of my inspirations! This built has been a long, rocky way because of the :mad: :mad: :mad: F-I90HD:mad: :mad: :mad: I've ended up having most of the part laying around for more than a month.

The very idea to go matx (earlier, I always built only atx - and full AT before that) came from Dillusion's long matx thread here. From the first signs of the F-I90HD I could see my next computer take form....I read the thread on that board quite a bit. You had some excellent posts there! So I went for that board (which I later regretted....)

The idea for the case for the built came from Erssa on SPCR and his pictures of his built here: http://www.mv.helsinki.fi/emreko/NSK3400/ While I liked the cubes when the first shuttles were coming out, I like the tower style better. The cube becomes to short for standing on the floor for my taste. I know many disagree - but hey, it's me who have to use it/look at it. The 3400 is the nicest matx case I've seen and while it is the smallest tower-style case I've seen the layout is such, that things still fit.

It was disappointing for me to see that abit board die after just 3 days (will most probably never buy their boards again, what a lemon). I didn't see much alternative for that board. Thankfully the G33 started to become available around at that time, so I ended up avoiding going through a number of abit boards like others have been forced to. I hope there will be no problems with this board, but so far everything has been just fine! The E4300 I find is not ideal for this board, but it will be fine till penryn/quad will take over.

Originally, I had planned to wait around for the 8600GTS/2600XT (had hoped to find the right combo of low wattage/heat and performance there) and use the onboard video on the F-I90HD in the meantime (thought it would be fine for a while). Well, as said, that didn't work out. Now I wanted to finish the built. However, the 8600GTS turned out to be vastly over-priced coupled with too low performance in my opinion (it's quite a bit more expensive than the faster x1950pro here and only a tad cheaper than the vastly more powerful 8800GTS. The 2600XT was postponed again (wonder when AMD will get their act together...), the onboard video of the G33 was just horrible and there was no secondary dvi/hdmi output for my flat-screen tv.

I didn't really want the high W needed for the 8800GTS and the accompanying heat/noise issues but after reading this thread, I decided to go for it anyway and I'm not disappointed (it is where I got the idea for the mini"duct"). It does heat up the entire computer more and adds a bit of noise, but not too bad. When the weather gets back to the normal level for Northern Europe and with maybe a bit of underclocking/volting, I'm sure I'll be able to shut it up completely. I have an 19" monitor with 12/10 res. so the 8800gts is actually a bit overkill for my usage. That's why I consider underclocking it a bit. I don't think my set-up gets close to taxing the psu too much, but the combination of an oc'ed 8800gts+cpu and 32C has made the psu fan spin up at the moment. Last night when I was sitting playing with it all, the psu fan was quiet though, so I don't find it a problem.

There were too many molex cables in my opinion with the psu. I managed to hide them away behind the front cover of the case so they neither takes up room in the top compartment nor the lower. I did that by removing the metal grill in front of the second 5,25" drive bay and then push the cables down in front of where the floppy drive would have been. That way they don't block any airflow and are out of the way. Still I only have to remove the front cover for the drive bay, and I'll have access to them if I, e.g. need power for a floppy drive.

Please post your temps, pvhk. Now, I'll go out again and enjoy the sun and the Scandinavian summer girls... :cool:

Hmmmm sweeeet! I'm 2 9x333 now... with an e4300 that is! superpi under 20sec and mem@555 @2.2v...core @ 1.36v stock cooler.... not bad...not bas @ all!:D

Will try some more later on...as for now..rock stable!

without reading all the post for there are alot and this thread rocks.

What is the final feeling on the 4300 and this board? is it a good combo? fast ram obiously is needed but i got some 1000's that run over that and am considering the pricepoint of the 4300 over the 6300

can't get a 6400 unless someone will take $110 for one.

so i am kinda stuck with 4300? but not if it sucks on this board. damn dividers.

does anyone have probs with the temp report? easytune5 shows my temp @ 33C But speedfan and TAT shows 44C? :confused: which should I trust?

Just checked bios temp reading, its the same as easytune, 33-34C

does anyone have probs with the temp report? easytune5 shows my temp @ 33C But speedfan and TAT shows 44C? :confused: which should I trust?

Just checked bios temp reading, its the same as easytune, 33-34C

Everest, coretemp, bios, speedfan, easytune - all show one reading.
TAT - shows another.

I would trust the former... ;-)

Well, TAT was not designed for desktop cpus in the first place, so most probably the readings it shows are not correct.

Everest, coretemp, bios, speedfan, easytune - all show one reading.
TAT - shows another.

I would trust the former... ;-)

Well, TAT was not designed for desktop cpus in the first place, so most probably the readings it shows are not correct.

Hmmm sure about that? Coretemp shows about 10 (!!) degrees higher than speedfan on my rig.... :confused:

Got my board today and all i can say is WOW. The board runs very cool and is rock solid at fsb 400. I have a e6300 that had temps of 54 degrees at idle on a DS3 when overclocked to the same fsb 400 (2.8ghz) but on this board it idles at 42! Same goes for south bridge (the one by graphics card?) Temps on the DS3 were 49 idle but on this board its 39. Same case same everything, so I think based on that alone this board is amazing especially considering I have in a 8800gts and a audigy2 zx both of which run RED hot normally.

I am very pleased, and glad this board came out, its now my main rig. Last order to complete my dream machine for now is a Lanbox case with the handle, the black one :) The crucial ballistix 8000 is really showing its class too when running stock. I think i can overclock much more, but i'm pleased at where i'm at, next stop quad core lol

Anyhow, just sharing

I seem to have some trouble overclocking mine. My CPU has run at 8x400 before happily at no voltage boost in a DS3. Likewise the memory was happy at 2.5*400 (1000) but I can't get that at all on this mobo.

Any ideas? Do I need to boost MCH voltages etc? I dont suppose anyone has some "noob" overclocking settings for this board?

What CPU are you using?

You are probably having memory divider issues (as we all do). the available emory dividers are:
800MHz CPUs: 3.33 & 4.00, 1066MHz CPUs: 2.50 & 3.00, 1333MHz CPUs: 2.00 & 2.40. Its lacking the 1:1 divider....

I have the exact same config with my e6300 and I jus went there, no trial or error. I jus set fsb to 400, divider to 2.50, pci express to 100, set my ram timings to 5-5-5-15 and set the cpu voltage to 1.325 and thats that. Did orthos for like an hr (dont have the patience lol) and all is well :)

I got mine last night and it's up and running nicely. I'm only running 2.8ghz with my E6420 right now. It had a default VID of 1.35, but I lowered the voltage to 1.3V at 2.8. Running Orthos right now. The 1066 Tracers I ordered will arrive today, so I'm limping along on some Corsair XMS2 PRO 6400.

So far the board was a piece of cake to install and build. The only real issue I had during the SG-01B build was the new MSI 8600GTS video card (dual slot cooler version) had a short in the fan which started a small fire and caused some serious smoke to pour out of the computer. Nothing like starting off the build with flames. :)

Nevermind, I got it. I needed f**** Microsoft patch to make drivers work...
For future reference - If anyone has the same problem - install KB888111 first, then audio drivers. There is KB888111xpsp1, xpsp2, etc version for every systeem.

Good luck;)

Phinix, I have the same problem you have, sam error too, does not matter if I install from the DVD or from the d/led drivers from Gigabyte or Realtek... I installed the UAA update from MS and still no luck. I may have installed it before I installed SP2, but still, I have since installed SP2 and the HD audio update for SP2 as well still with no luck on a successful install of the Realtek drivers... Does anyone have any other ideas? I cannot figure this out for the life of me... :-(

If memory such as the 1066 Ballistix/Tracers is going to be overclocked, is it generally recommended that some sort of active cooling be present over the memory in such an event?

I'm asking as there has been issues with earlier Ballistix units dying in other builds that I've seen; I think I'm about to bite on some 1066 later on tonight.

Edit: Got some PC8500 just now. It's a nice deal at Newegg right now, Plus a 2gb thumbdrive, with a rebate for that too.

Hmmm sure about that? Coretemp shows about 10 (!!) degrees higher than speedfan on my rig.... :confused:

I guess you are running version 0.95 and possibly a E4xx? Try version 0.94. There you should see the same temps as in speenfan, everest, etc. I have a E4300 and I noticed wrong temps in 0.95 but not in 0.94. Read somewhere that the the newest version read the tjunktion wrong on the E4xx cpus.

Got some new RAM in the mail to replace the bad stick that I got. (Yea for Newegg Customer Service!!) One of the sticks wouldn't OC for nothing. But luckily, two of the 4 sticks I have max out at about 376FSB with only a slight bump up of the e6400 voltage (from v1.325 to v1.33) which in total gives me a 3GHz Intel Core2Duo. The system runs very stable with a 30's idle temp and around 60c @ 100%.

20070614_HTPC-OC_1181797695800383758.jpg

It's being cooled by a Zalman 7700CU which as you can see, barely fits in the Microfly case with this board. But it does fit, and does a great job. X1950Pro also highlighted in the below pictures.

20070614_HTPC-System_1181798404153549246.jpg

Gaming is on!!! :D

Congrats. After my MSI 8600GTS burned up yesterday I ordered the Sapphire X1950PRO 512mb card from Newegg today. It was $7 more than the MSI card and it should perform better. The only thing I don't like is it dumps heat towards the front of the case instead of the back. I may have to reverse my fans. I'm running a 400mhz FSB for 3.2ghz and 1000mhz DDR. Nice little computer!

Congrats. After my MSI 8600GTS burned up yesterday I ordered the Sapphire X1950PRO 512mb card from Newegg today. It was $7 more than the MSI card and it should perform better. The only thing I don't like is it dumps heat towards the front of the case instead of the back. I may have to reverse my fans. I'm running a 400mhz FSB for 3.2ghz and 1000mhz DDR. Nice little computer!

I couldnt quite get my Crucial's that high... I don't know what is up with them, but it's probably my PC building luck :p!

I guess you are running version 0.95 and possibly a E4xx? Try version 0.94. There you should see the same temps as in speenfan, everest, etc. I have a E4300 and I noticed wrong temps in 0.95 but not in 0.94. Read somewhere that the the newest version read the tjunktion wrong on the E4xx cpus.

Yup you're right! I'll try the 0.94 version. Thx!

I am a little confused about the mem dividers on this. For say running a E6600 at 378 FSB what options of member freq will the bios give?

Hmmm....quick question here. I have the F-I90HD and am thinking of replacint already. Is this board that much better? i.e. better to OC, runs more stable etc....

Thanks! :D

Hmmm....quick question here. I have the F-I90HD and am thinking of replacint already. Is this board that much better? i.e. better to OC, runs more stable etc....

I have both.

Both boards are stable. F-I90HD has somewhat of a discredited reputation for killing boards, but the two I have work fine. From what I have heard I think they tend to die when people get too aggressive with RAM voltage.

Expect the F-I90HD to crap out around FSB 330-350. IMHO this is a good board for an E4300 or 4400.

Now the gigabyte I have runs right up to 400FSB with no problems, you just need to have good RAM because there is only a 2.5 and a 3 RAM divider, so DDR500 is the minimum.
E6400@3200 at default VCore. For my needs the board performs the same as my Asus P5B Wifi, maybe even it runs a little cooler.

You will be able to get a little more out of the E6600 with the gigabyte.

I went up to 430 fsb with EASE with ddr2 1000 ram. I clocked back because There is a slight rise in tems and from benchies the difference between 400fsb and 430 on my e6300 is not that significant for me to warrant the overclock so I.m back at fsb 400

I just received my board yesterday, with a pentium e2160 and 2 el-cheapo sticks of 1GB CL5 800Mhz ram. My D9GMH sticks have another 2 week delivery time, hence the cheap temporary memory. These sticks are TakeMS TMS1GB264C081-805, and I can't find anything about them, not even with the numbers from the (non-heatsinked) chips.

Surprisingly, I got them to clock to 555Mhz with 5-7-7-20 at vDDR +0.4 at basically the first attempt. I didn't try to lower the vDDR yet, or try to raise the FSB. Also, I can't seem to unlock the manual mem timings in the bios (with ctrl+f1) ?????

The sticks just survived a double complete pass in memtes86, so it seems to be quite stable. CPU only running at 6x333Mhz currently..basically, it's a temp CPU as well, until the Q6600 is cheap at july 22nd :cool: I only have the stock heatsink to go with it, so it probably won't run well at 9x333Mhz. CoreTemp says 47 deg. / core, TAT says 60/61. This at 333x6 = 2Ghz...I prefer to believe CoreTemp though ;)

First impression: very impressed!

If your F-I90 HD is running perfectly fine and you are happy with it then there is no real need to upgrade. Wait for the next generation mATX mobos to come out. If however you are having problems with the F-I90 HD then the G33M-DS2R is the current best replacement to be had. Keep in mind though that the Gigabyte mobo doesnt have built in DVI whereas the ABIT mobo does. One is geared towards HTPC use and one is geared towards Gaming use. They each have their pros and cons. Also MSI and ASUS has G33 mobos coming out in the near future so watch out for them. I'm guessing July/August although no dates have been posted. Just pics. And then sometime later this year I would also expect to see some mATX versions of the P38 chipset but thats just me speculating. ;)

Surprisingly, I got them to clock to 555Mhz with 5-7-7-20 at vDDR +0.4 at basically the first attempt. I didn't try to lower the vDDR yet, or try to raise the FSB. Also, I can't seem to unlock the manual mem timings in the bios (with ctrl+f1) ?????

The sticks just survived a double complete pass in memtes86, so it seems to be quite stable. CPU only running at 6x333Mhz currently..basically, it's a temp CPU as well, until the Q6600 is cheap at july 22nd :cool: I only have the stock heatsink to go with it, so it probably won't run well at 9x333Mhz. CoreTemp says 47 deg. / core, TAT says 60/61. This at 333x6 = 2Ghz...I prefer to believe CoreTemp though ;)

First impression: very impressed!
Hit CTRL-F1 at the main bios menu. Both buttons have to be pressed simultaneously. A new menu option pops up in the top right.

CPU prices are not going to drop instantly come July 22nd, that's just when they will start declining. Price drops are only going to be realized at the eTailers.

Hit CTRL-F1 at the main bios menu. Both buttons have to be pressed simultaneously. A new menu option pops up in the top right.

Ok, thx. Will try at home tonight. I found out the ics on the mem modules are powerchips. Amazing that they will go this far at only 2.2V, they're not known for their overclocking. They survived 11hrs of Orthos though, with cpu@8x333mhz and mem@555 :D

CPU prices are not going to drop instantly come July 22nd, that's just when they will start declining. Price drops are only going to be realized at the eTailers.

At the last price drop in april, prices went down almost instantly at the webshops here (netherlands). But there's no rush, I can get some fun out of this little bugger yet. :cool:

Ok, thx. Will try at home tonight. I found out the ics on the mem modules are powerchips. Amazing that they will go this far at only 2.2V, they're not known for their overclocking. They survived 11hrs of Orthos though, with cpu@8x333mhz and mem@555 :D

My ram also survived orthos at that setting but I still experienced two re-starts (not bsod) while gaming after which the bios would revert the oc'ing. I ran and re-ran memtests - no probs. At 300/500 I haven't experienced any problems. Basically just saying: watch how your system behaves ...

I finally got an answer from Gigabyte (slooooww customer support....) about the 1:1 divider:

Here is my qustion:
"Is there any possibility that you'll soon add a sync./1:1 memory divider?
I know there are many waiting to buy the first G33 board that comes with this feature (like the P35 models). I myself took that chance and bought it, hoping you'll add it in the next bios release. If you have such a release planned, could you tell when it will be avaible?"

And their answer:
"From what I have heard there is a chipset "limitation" (Intel probably wants the more advanced users to buy P35 instead) on the G33 that it does not support 1:1 memory divider. In that case it will not be availble with a future BIOS update."

Hmmm, I'm not impressed. "From what I've heard". Well, I understand, of course that he/she is not the mainboard designer but hey, I was still hoping for a better answer.

Well, I'm just an avarage end-user so for me it is perfectly cool to say: "I heard" that this is actually untrue - the ATX version (G33-dS3R) supposedly have the 1:1 divider. If it really is a chipset limitation, then there is no hope, but as far as I understood, the G33 and P35 are identical. In the later the graphics are simply disabled.

Can anybody please confirm this???

EDIT: I downloaded the manual for the ATX G33 board and there the mem dividers are not specified, so that didn't make me any wiser...

I own the board and it doesnt even matter. Ram is fairly cheap now, just get some good ram and u'll be fine. Keep in mind its still a matx board n pushing it too far will definately shorten its life. Mine is at 400fsb and ram at 500 and is rock stable and cooler than my ds3. I even went to 430fsb (so e6300 would be at 3.0ghz) and it was completely stable as well with ram at 537 with ALL stock voltz, my ds3 was not stable at this fsb

I'm a bit fustrated but trying to stay sane :( . Everyone on this forum is having good stories except me. Right now I have my E6420 @ 333x8 w/1.4v. I set the cpu:memory ratio at 2:3 so my ram is at 1000@ 5-5-5-15 w/2.2v. Stable for now but when I move the FSB up to 400x8 w/1.4v and the cpu:mem divider at 4:5 so my mem is still at 1000, get constant reboots left and right. Now the funny thing is when I set my memory to run at 1000 the timings are set back to 5-7-7-18 and I have to manually set them to manufacturer specs. I'm running memtest right now to see if it might be the ram.

I own the board and it doesnt even matter. Ram is fairly cheap now, just get some good ram and u'll be fine. Keep in mind its still a matx board n pushing it too far will definately shorten its life. Mine is at 400fsb and ram at 500 and is rock stable and cooler than my ds3. I even went to 430fsb (so e6300 would be at 3.0ghz) and it was completely stable as well with ram at 537 with ALL stock voltz, my ds3 was not stable at this fsb

Well, I would agree with you if it wasn't because I have a E4300 cpu where the ram divider i 3:5.... If I want to push it over 2.7 the ram will have to be able to go over 500 which far from all normal 6400 ram can do. And then it gets quite a bit pricy (and no, you can't buy crusial ram where I live....)
The combination of 3:5 divider and max 2.2v makes it basically impossible to max out a 4300 cpu on this board without resorting to very expensive solutions which wouldn't make sense in the first place on a value cpu. My original setup was the F-I90HD, 4300 and value 5300. Quality ram costs here the same as all of the former 3 parts put together....

Basically, I'm quite satisfied with this board. It's quite stable and a 50% oc is quite enough for me. Still, I hope that they will introduce the 1:1 divider. Even a 4:5 divider would make it easier to oc.

About not pushing a matx too far. Maybe. However, I have sufficient cooling and this is a well constructed board, so there is absolutely no reason why one wouldn't be able to push it as far as an atx. This board have, as far as I can see, everything that it takes to make it an enthusiast board, except the ram divider and maybe a bit higher ram voltages, everything else seems to be there.:)

I was thinking about getting the q6600 and pushing it to 3.0ghz as anyone done this with this motherboard yet and was it done with just air cooling? Thanks

I was thinking about getting the q6600 and pushing it to 3.0ghz as anyone done this with this motherboard yet and was it done with just air cooling? Thanks

I'm up to 2.8ghz without a single problem! I'm actually using passive cooling via the PSU and I have yet to see temps go above 45c. I plan on running the system @ 3.0ghz sometime this week. I'm waiting on some cooling for my RAM first. The board has been very stable for me so far.

I'm up to 2.8ghz without a single problem! I'm actually using passive cooling via the PSU and I have yet to see temps go above 45c. I plan on running the system @ 3.0ghz sometime this week. I'm waiting on some cooling for my RAM first. The board has been very stable for me so far.

And you have a Quad Core:rolleyes:

Back