GA-G33M-DS2R

With this board, as far as I understand, your FSB won't be able to reach 333 MHz unless your DRAM is clocked at 555 MHz. It lacks the 1:1 ratio.

Isn’t 555Mhz only required when you run a 3:5 ratio?

If I'm not mistaken, this board runs a 4:5 ratio as well, which means running the FSB at 333Mhz would only require the memory to run 416Mhz.

Also, does anybody know if a BSEL pin modded e4300 will run on this motherboard?

For those who are able to read german text, check this thread on the german Gigabyte forum.

Statement from Gigabyte officials: the GA-G33M-DS2R is a budget board (ds2, hence budget) and therefore not intended for overclocking purposes. A 1:1 devider will therefore probable not be introduced in future bios'es.

Reason is that the G33 chipset would be incapable of a 1:1 devider (which is cr*p, as it is an enhanced P33) and that it is a budget board (which it isn't pricewise and alternative wise...there IS no alternative...) sigh....

I wrote gigabyte and asked them about the 1:1 divider (In the most polite manner, of course...). Maybe we all should write them and ask them to include it in the next (beta)bios?

It's time that there would be a non-bs oc matx and that it is only a memory divider that keeps this board back is :mad: The atx version with the very same chip includes the divider, so there is no logic, keeping it away from this board. It's high time that at least one company gets the head out of the 'matx is not for oc'-box which they have all been in for way to long.

Yes, is is an xxxS2 but since there is no S3 matx version - and the S2 is sold for S3 prices - GB at least should consider listening to their customers.

For those who are able to read german text, check this thread on the german Gigabyte forum.

Statement from Gigabyte officials: the GA-G33M-DS2R is a budget board (ds2, hence budget) and therefore not intended for overclocking purposes. A 1:1 devider will therefore probable not be introduced in future bios'es.

Reason is that the G33 chipset would be incapable of a 1:1 devider (which is cr*p, as it is an enhanced P33) and that it is a budget board (which it isn't pricewise and alternative wise...there IS no alternative...) sigh....

Basically they are saying they have no intentions of providing a 1:1 divider then. Sucks but not much we can do about it. Its still a better mobo than the F-I90 HD and the best Conroe overclocking mATX out so far. We'll have to live with it till someone one-ups Gigabyte. ASUS maybe? :confused:

I will probably fit the board fine, the only thing with the larger diam/width HSFs is if they will hit the side of the case going in.

I would guess the 7000 will work fine, the 7700 probably not.

This may be a silly question, but I'm thinking about putting a Thermaltake Blue Orb II on this MB. I've plenty of room in my case but the NB heatsink concerns me. I havent ever seen a Blue Orb II but I hear they are huge. Should I just scrap the idea of getting a blue orb and stick a zalaman 7000 in there instead (since the general feeling is it will fit w/o hitting the NB heatsink)?

Basically they are saying they have no intentions of providing a 1:1 divider then. Sucks but not much we can do about it. Its still a better mobo than the F-I90 HD and the best Conroe overclocking mATX out so far. We'll have to live with it till someone one-ups Gigabyte. ASUS maybe? :confused:
Ya I could not agree more. Am I complaigning? You bet. Is there anything better? Not yet.

When it comes to overclocking, just about every manufacturer gives with one hand, but denies anything to do with overclocking. They gave us all solid caps and the ability to OC to 700fsb plus some nice voltage options. At least that’s better than anything else that has been released and you can work around it. The biggest problem is you probably have to pay to work around it.

so then with all that is known about this board which is the best cpu for it? 6600? 6400? 4300? 1100mhz or about ram wise.

Just ordered mine today so hopefully this motherboard works unlike the 2 it90's I had. Otherwise I just give up on sff gameing.

Love newegg because im going to get the mobo tomorrow.

Mine's coming in tomorrow. I work weekends so I'll be backing-up over the weekend in spare time, and building on Monday. I'll get it up and running and start the OCing process. It seems pvhk used EasyTune... do you all recommend that, or should I just try to jump in and bios tweak?

AKA: I'm kinda noob @ OC in that I've read alot but never done it. I've heard that bios is preferrable to any "software" tweaks. All I'm looking for is about 3Ghz from my 6400. I bought two 1GB sticks of DDR2-1066, and I'm hoping that I can hit near the 400mhz FSB.

so then with all that is known about this board which is the best cpu for it? 6600? 6400? 4300? 1100mhz or about ram wise.

If you want to oc, go for the 6400/6600. As pvhk explained earlier, that will give you access to a 4:5 ram divider, while the best for 4300/4400s is 3:5. If you have ram that can do 1100, you'll be able to push the fsb as high as 4400. Plenty I would say for pushing that 6400/6600 in an matx form factor...

EDIT: Keeping the price decrease coming in July and your ram in mind, I would probably go the 6400 with this mobo (unless of course you have a set-up like condition0 ;-)

@Dayvon: Go for an bios oc. Use one of the many guides around. Pvhk, like most here, did that as well.

I have the time to install the CPU, HSF, and Northbridge cooler.

E6400
Alpha Pre9060 with Panasonic 92mm 1BX Fan
Swiftech MCu159 with 40mm fan on the Northbridge.

The Enzotech SB cooler won't fit on the SB. Thats $17 wasted.

Hope the pic works.

Cant wait to see some quadcore testing on this mobo. Anyone got plans to test one soon?I might hold off and buy a quadcore July 22nd if this mobo can get a good overclock with a quadcore. I assume the lack of 1:1 divider will hamper it some though.

Cant wait to see some quadcore testing on this mobo. Anyone got plans to test one soon?I might hold off and buy a quadcore July 22nd if this mobo can get a good overclock with a quadcore. I assume the lack of 1:1 divider will hamper it some though.

I will probably try a Q6600 around July22nd. My B-Day is the 21st so I will drop some hints as to what I want.

I just dropped $240 of my own dough on a L629F221 from tankguys. I am running that in my main rig. I thought I might have trouble keeping it cool at 3600 in my QMicra.

I have the time to install the CPU, HSF, and Northbridge cooler.

E6400
Alpha Pre9060 with Panasonic 92mm 1BX Fan
Swiftech MCu159 with 40mm fan on the Northbridge.

The Enzotech SB cooler won't fit on the SB. Thats $17 wasted.

Hope the pic works.

ooh! the beautifull swiftech nb cooler!
give us your feedback!!! ;)

I wrote gigabyte and asked them about the 1:1 divider (In the most polite manner, of course...). Maybe we all should write them and ask them to include it in the next (beta)bios?

It's time that there would be a non-bs oc matx and that it is only a memory divider that keeps this board back is :mad: The atx version with the very same chip includes the divider, so there is no logic, keeping it away from this board. It's high time that at least one company gets the head out of the 'matx is not for oc'-box which they have all been in for way to long.

Yes, is is an xxxS2 but since there is no S3 matx version - and the S2 is sold for S3 prices - GB at least should consider listening to their customers.

What address did you use to ask politely? It wouldn't be such a bad idea to drop them a line, I think. At least it should be better to ask GB directly than to whine on a forum...
:D

The G35 chipset is annonced (computex 2007):
ga-g35m-ds2
000000058585.jpg

foxconn g35:
http://www.matbe.com/images/biblio/mb/000000058583.jpg
asus g35:
http://www.matbe.com/images/biblio/mb/000000058577.jpg
biostar g35:
http://www.matbe.com/images/biblio/mb/000000058579.jpg
ECS G35:
http://www.matbe.com/images/biblio/mb/000000058581.jpg

nicely.

Guys im stock at around 356FSB and everything is totally stable. If I try 3,75 or 400FSB it refuses to boot into win at 375 and no boot at all on 400FSB. What is your voltages settings mates

Is the G35, or G31, expected to be an overclocker? Released soon? I'm in the market for a few systems to build in the next month or so.

What address did you use to ask politely? It wouldn't be such a bad idea to drop them a line, I think. At least it should be better to ask GB directly than to whine on a forum...
:D
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/ServiceCenter.aspx

Thanks for the pics pvhk. I so far have not seen any advantages of G35 over G33. Anybody who would kindly explain?
I find it interesting that they are all S2 models. So again the question remains to Gigabyte: since there are no S3 matx models, why not let us have the 1:1 divider we all know the chipset of the G33M-DS2R support????

G35, probably! It has an onboard video dx10 abilities! but an ICH8 southbridge (ICH9 for G33)
The g31 has a southbridge ICH7, only 2 slot DDR2 on the sample.

I thought the G33 was a lighter version of the G35? So I can see a G35 model but what is the G31 in relation to the G33 and G35? It confuses me when they start coming out with all these different model numbers. Not that I'm complaining. More choices is good! :D Anywho... I figure the full G35 model will have the best potential for overclocking.

I will probably try a Q6600 around July22nd. My B-Day is the 21st so I will drop some hints as to what I want.

I just dropped $240 of my own dough on a L629F221 from tankguys. I am running that in my main rig. I thought I might have trouble keeping it cool at 3600 in my QMicra.

I'm going on vacation end of this month so I plan to wait on buying my components after I get back in July(I already have the Qmicra v1 case). So I'm debating to wether to wait a couple more weeks beyond that and get a quadcore when the July 22nd prices kick in or just get a dualcore right after I get back and wait till another time for the dualcore. Hopefully we'll see Quadcore setup tests long before then so I can decide early and plan accordingly.

G35, probably! It has an onboard video dx10 abilities! but an ICH8 southbridge (ICH9 for G33)
The g31 has a southbridge ICH7, only 2 slot DDR2 on the sample.
It's the south bridge that had me confused. If one is not using the onboard vid, shouldn' the G33 then maybe be better? The G33 and P35 are (besides video de-activated in the latter) basically the same right? Surely, if using the integrated video the X3500 of G35 sounds better - that is if Intel gets their drivers in order. Somehow strange that they will launch a never north bridge with an older south bridge. Probably a cost consideration.
Well, a bit besides the scope for this thread. I already bought the G33 anyway.

If you want to oc, go for the 6400/6600. As pvhk explained earlier, that will give you access to a 4:5 ram divider, while the best for 4300/4400s is 3:5. If you have ram that can do 1100, you'll be able to push the fsb as high as 4400. Plenty I would say for pushing that 6400/6600 in an matx form factor...

Would you say that RAM-wise, getting some Ballistix PC8000-8500 (or comprable RAM) is probably going to be the sort to get?

I suppose that with the prices where they're at now, I should get this before they start going up.

If not Ballistix, what else would pair nicely with an E6600?

Would you say that RAM-wise, getting some Ballistix PC8000-8500 (or comprable RAM) is probably going to be the sort to get?

I suppose that with the prices where they're at now, I should get this before they start going up.

If not Ballistix, what else would pair nicely with an E6600?

I would suggest going with Gigabyte's RAM list until various RAM modules (non-Ballistix) has been proven in tests by users. Corsair and ADATA are mentioned on it. I'd have to look at the list again but I think some kingston modules have been listed as well.

Edit: Here's the link. Click on the Memory Support List link on the right. Its a pdf file and I dont know how to directly copy it to here.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products...ew.aspx?ProductID=2534&ModelName=GA-G33M-DS2R

Approval lists don't mean much. The only thing they test is that the RAM will run at stock speeds. Corsair Dominator's suck. I would try Ballistix. I have 8500 Tracers that should be here today.

Approval lists don't mean much. The only thing they test is that the RAM will run at stock speeds. Corsair Dominator's suck. I would try Ballistix. I have 8500 Tracers that should be here today.
That's right! :)
If you choose crucial ballistix (either 5300, 6400, 8000, 8500) with this mb: you are sure not to make a mistake!
In my case: even my crucial value 5300 (lucky to have chip D9GMH on it) work perfectly!
http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/6480/g7825copiereu6.jpg

You can check this list for which ram stick have Micron chips:

http://ramlist.infinityx.nl/ddr2/

I have Corsair 6400 5-5-5-12 myself and they work just fine. They are Promos chips but I have had them running at up to 1100 without probs. I've heard that others have by far been able to push them that far, so I would go for the micron D9 myself, if I had seen this list before... Unfortunately Crusial sticks are hardly sold anywhere here in Denmark.

That’s a great list! I remember when it was being done for BH-5. I must have had Micron D9GKX (B6-25E) on those Dominators. They did 1100MHz, but for already being rated PC8500, I expected much more. Probably a good thing did not gamble on the Crucial 8000 Ballistix deal I posted earlier! :D

That’s a great list! I remember when it was being done for BH-5. I must have had Micron D9GKX (B6-25E) on those Dominators. They did 1100MHz, but for already being rated PC8500, I expected much more. Probably a good thing did not gamble on the Crucial 8000 Ballistix deal I posted earlier! :D
Yeah, it's actually strange that the companies don't have to post what chips they are using. With sticks like, e.g. low-mid-end corsair you won't know before you see the rev. and look it up. I for example paid extra to get the 6400 corsair modules instead of their normal 5300 series, just to discover that they have the very same chips! Surely, chips can be hand-picked, but I doubt that is the case with these sticks. Well, they oc quite well and were cheap, so I don't complain.

Got mine in. Opened it up, and boy is she pretty :D !!

I have optimistic news too! It appears that though the 7700 Zalman Cooler spills over the edge of the mATX board, it should still be in able to fit in a MicroFly case (which is great news for me). I just eye ball checked, but it looks good. Also, it appears the the 7700 won't have an issue with the Northbridge Gigabyte heat sink either. So great news all around!

Will get to test driving this system sometime on Sunday evening. We shall see how brand new Crucial 8500 sticks do with a e6400!!! (or more accurately how I do with them :p)

Well, I finally got it built. Booted up with an old install of windows.

Running an E6400@3200 default VCore. 400x8

2x1GB OCZ PC8000 Gold XTC at 5-5-5-10 DDR1000 2.0V

Very painfree and easy installation.

Seems very snappy. I will do a fresh install tomorrow and see what happens.

Well, I finally got it built. Booted up with an old install of windows.

Running an E6400@3200 default VCore. 400x8

2x1GB OCZ PC8000 Gold XTC at 5-5-5-10 DDR1000 2.0V

Very painfree and easy installation.

Seems very snappy. I will do a fresh install tomorrow and see what happens.

those sticks are generally micron D9 (D9GKX or D9GMH!): ;)

The 8500 Ballistix Tracers I just received did 2.2v DDR1150 5-5-5 timings with no cooling / DDR1180 @ 2.2v with a 92mm Tornado blowing across them. When I started overclocking the FSB, they max out at DDR1135 stable. I have my own little piece of Star Wars in my computer now! :p (Need to find some electrical tape...)

So the max I have been able to take the board is 455fsb. Voltage bumps and cooling would not seem to take me any higher.

This board seems to experience a serious amount of VDROOP. Setting 1.55v in bios gives 1.44v under load in CPU-Z or 1.46 according to EasyTune.

Final overclock on this board and what I am going to run with:

That's a nice 650MHz, 2MB cache and 275MHz bandwidth bump over what I was capped at before. I admit I was hoping for higher on the chip, but 3.5GHz isn't bad.

Finally a fully overclocked, quiet and watercooled SFF - I am done! :D

Back