GA-G33M-DS2R

Sweet! I wonder how well it'd OC with a chip running at 9 multiplier? :D

anyone tried to OC with normal multiplier?
where can I buy it in UK?

Ya know, I bet the reason it is taking so long to come to the US is because of some stupid certification, like UL or something. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to learn it is because of some bureaucratic BS. :rolleyes:

- JT

the 6600 has a 9x multiplier, and its locked, how come your CPUz reading shows it as having a 7x multiplier?
Did not want to be cpu limited, that's the reason why i set manually ratio to 7x in the bios to test the fsb of the mb! ;)

Did not want to be cpu limited, that's the reason why i set manually ratio to 7x in the bios to test the fsb of the mb! ;)

But does it mean that it will kepp stable that fsb with stock multiplier?
Like 400MHz with x9 ?

Great, thanks for that example...
Still worring about that ratio.. can gigabyte just add it to a next bios or it is sth more than that...?

Great, thanks for that example...
Still worring about that ratio.. can gigabyte just add it to a next bios or it is sth more than that...?
I'm sure they could very easily. The real question is "will they?" :rolleyes:

- JT

I can live without 1:1 if everything else works. I fear GA will disable these wonderful BIOS options before sending to the US. :rolleyes:

- JT

So pvhk....wanna be the first to mod your BIOS menu and maybe fry your pretty little board? :D
No thanks Bob!
I've never been interested in modded bios (especially with the abit fatal1ty which still has the official one m612a_11).

Fortunately my crucial ballistix pc5300 can handle up to 555Mhz

I could live without the 1:1 dividers too if everything else is stable on the mobo. Assuming they dont fix the divider issue whats the best RAM to use with it? Its certified for the Corsair 6400C4 modules according to Gigabyte's website and I was gonna get 2GB of that but not sure if thats going to do the job or not with the divider issue. I think eventually they'll fix it but I want to make sure I'm covered either way.

I could live without the 1:1 dividers too if everything else is stable on the mobo. Assuming they dont fix the divider issue whats the best RAM to use with it? Its certified for the Corsair 6400C4 modules according to Gigabyte's website and I was gonna get 2GB of that but not sure if thats going to do the job or not with the divider issue. I think eventually they'll fix it but I want to make sure I'm covered either way.
crucial memory !
Ballistix 5300 or 6400 or 8000 (micron D9)

pvhk can u leave the e6600 on default multi and see how high u can get please ?

crucial memory !
Ballistix 5300 or 6400 or 8000 (micron D9)

The only 1GB 800 modules Gigabyte currently has on their approved list are the PC6400 (800) BL12864AA804. They are rated for 2.2v and 4-4-4-12 timings. They are Micron D9 modules. A quick check with pricegrabber shows them for $137 for a 2GB kit. Not a bad price. :D

Edit: Pvhk, does the G33M DS2R vDIMM goes as high as 2.2v? I see all your tests running 2.0v

Hola fellas. Looks like i can dust off the E4300 :rolleyes: and my officially compatible Corsair memory :cool: and get one of these babies!

The f-ihd90 was rma'd about a month ago so i am keen to get on with the HTPC again now that a real option has appeared. Onboard Firewire is great too.

Anyone seen this in the UK? Scan apparently getting it on pre-order very soon.

The only 1GB 800 modules Gigabyte currently has on their approved list are the PC6400 (800) BL12864AA804. They are rated for 2.2v and 4-4-4-12 timings. They are Micron D9 modules. A quick check with pricegrabber shows them for $137 for a 2GB kit. Not a bad price. :D

Edit: Pvhk, does the G33M DS2R vDIMM goes as high as 2.2v? I see all your tests running 2.0v
Yes Skott!
IMG_0831.jpg

MacClipper screen
max +0.4v from default (1.8+0.4=2.2)

Earlier this week I fired off a email to Gigabyte asking when the DS2R would be availble in the USA. I got a reply.

Dear Customer,

Our Authorized dealers already have this model in stock and ready. Due to the Intel's NDA, the official release date is June 4th.

Thank you for choosing Gigabyte products

Our Authorized dealers already have this model in stock and ready. Due to the Intel's NDA, the official release date is June 4th.
See, fuxin' Intel. I knew it'd be something like this. Oh well, June 4 is right around the corner.

- JT

I have gotten this board 2 days ago and this is about the best I could managed for my Kingston value RAMs. The only problem is the lack of 1:1 memory divider which really hampers my overclocking.

overclock.jpg

This board really is the best mATX board out there for now. I believe its ability to overclock is due to the chipset. Previously, 965/945G chipsets have non-working PCI-E locks and this G33 is the first with a fully working one. Its possible that every G33 mATX board out there will be able to hit this speed.

fsb@466 means your "value " ram run @582.5Mhz! :rolleyes:
Can you give us further details of your bios settings (voltages...) & cpuz screens (ram, mb...)!
:eek:

I have gotten this board 2 days ago and this is about the best I could managed for my Kingston value RAMs. The only problem is the lack of 1:1 memory divider which really hampers my overclocking.

overclock.jpg

This board really is the best mATX board out there for now. I believe its ability to overclock is due to the chipset. Previously, 965/945G chipsets have non-working PCI-E locks and this G33 is the first with a fully working one. Its possible that every G33 mATX board out there will be able to hit this speed.

I'm not good in OC, so wanted to ask you: what is better - lower muliplier and raise fsb higher, or leave multiplier as stock and raise fsb? I saw you lowered from x9 to x7 for your e6600 and raised fsb very high to 466MHz. Is that easier way to oc? Does it make any dfference?

See, fuxin' Intel. I knew it'd be something like this. Oh well, June 4 is right around the corner.

- JT

Yeah, its only 2 or 3 weeks away. Gives people who already have it time to test it more thoroughly. Also hopefully it'll give Gigabyte time to come up with a BIOS update or two. Getting that 1:1 divider issue fixed before official launch would be sweet.:D

I have tried to use modbin to enable the hidden 2.00 and 2.50 mem multiplier but was unsuccessful. When I flash the bios and reboot, the award bios recovery will kick in and reload a backup copy of the bios.

I also did a modbin check on the G33DS3R board BIOS and found that 2.00 and 2.50 are user selectable options. This means that the it is entirely possible to set 1:1 for your memory and it is not a chipset limitation.

My only conclusion is that DS2R is not considered an overclocker's board (only those with 3 are) thus gigabyte castrated the available settings to deliberately hamper overclocking.

I'm not good in OC, so wanted to ask you: what is better - lower muliplier and raise fsb higher, or leave multiplier as stock and raise fsb? I saw you lowered from x9 to x7 for your e6600 and raised fsb very high to 466MHz. Is that easier way to oc? Does it make any dfference?
If you run at a lower multiplier, it allows your mem to run slower, which he is probably doing because of the lack of 1:1 divider. Probably also to keep CPU speed low.

My only conclusion is that DS2R is not considered an overclocker's board (only those with 3 are) thus gigabyte castrated the available settings to deliberately hamper overclocking.
That would be a really whacked way of doing that... I'm ready to roll with conspiracy theories, but I think this is more likely a bug. Awesome overclock man, thanks for posting your results! Is 466 the board's max? Definitely picking up this board.

Bios is umoddable because it is a 1MB Award bios that will not save changes correctly. Try opening your modded file again - you won't be able to. If you flashed with it, it would have reloaded the backup copy because you corrupted the original. Count yourself lucky that this board has that feature... ;)

Steeeeve are you going to stock these? Preorder goodness? :)

Thats a sweet OC, Pvhk. Thanks for sharing that. Is that the highest you can get it stable wise? not asking you to push it and break it or anything just curious if that is its high end or just what you have had time to do so far? Also is that on an open bench or enclosed in a case?

Even if they dont fix the 1:1 divider on the G33M-DS2R it'll be a better mobo simply due to its stability when OCing or not. Assuming its stays stable. A little early to tell for sure. By the time they hit American stores we should have a better idea how stable it is.

Edit: We probably should start sending emails to Gigabyte asking about the 1:1 divider not working. They probably already know about it but it cant hurt to let them know customers want a fix. Might prompt them to get a update out sooner rather than later.

Thats a sweet OC, Pvhk. Thanks for sharing that. Is that the highest you can get it stable wise? not asking you to push it and break it or anything just curious if that is its high end or just what you have had time to do so far? Also is that on an open bench or enclosed in a case?

open bench as usual:

it's the highest stable o/c my e6600 can sustain! (not the highest fsb)
I prefer to keep the vcore under 1.50v!
A friend of mine on my french thread (drazendead) bumped the fsb up to 440 with its e6700....
Did not try myself over fsb@400!

Back