GA-F2A88XN-WIFI Mini PCIe Slot, Non-Wifi use?

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
Hey all,

So the manual for the GA-F2A88XN-WIFI says that the mini PCIe slot is for "Wifi Module Only", but I wonder if this means "it will not work with anything else" or if it's just "we won't support anything else".

I am considering picking up a mini-PCIe to 1x PCIe riser/adapter and attempting to use it for an additional wired Ethernet adapter. (the machine in question already has a GPU in the single x16 slot)

Has anyone tried doing this? Does it work?

I have this board, but unfortunately no PCIe 1x cards or adaptors to test it out. That said, it's a mini-PCIe slot (or labeled as such on the motherboard, anyway), so it should work as long as you get an adaptor that fits. I think the "For WIFI module only" note was just so you knew that it was a dedicated PCIe bus for that slot, not shared.

Last edited:
I have this board, but unfortunately no PCIe 1x cards or adaptors to test it out. That said, it's a mini-PCIe slot (or labeled as such on the motherboard, anyway), so it should work as long as you get an adaptor that fits. I think the "For WIFI module only" note was just so you knew that it was a dedicated PCIe bus for that slot, not shared.
Hello Nobu,
The mini PCIE slots is for Wifi module only as it was design for.
Please do not use other PCIe device on this slot.
Thanks.

Hello Nobu,
The mini PCIE slots is for Wifi module only as it was design for.
Please do not use other PCIe device on this slot.
Thanks.

What is the limitation? Does it not provide the full PCIe 1x power specification? I'd that is the case, it might work with a powered adapter.

Back