GA-965P-DS3P missing resistors

case sensitive

Limp Gawd
Hi, I have a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3P motherboard (rev 3.3) which is missing two surface mount resistors near the cpu socket. The resistors are R2722 and R2721.
When the board is powered up, it will start for a few seconds then restart (it just does this in a loop, never posting).
I would greatly appreciate if someone could measure the resistance across these parts. (The resistors should be the same on the GA-965P-DS3 rev 3.3 board)
(I don't expect anyone to actually remove both resistors and measure them individually but if I know the resistance they are supposed to have when soldered to the board then I can guess values until I get the right ones).
Here is the location in relation to the CPU socket
d04a7900_IMAGE00025_zps0ef2ddb4.jpeg

Here is a close up of the pads
48dc1992_IMAGE00026_zps5f20c8f5.jpeg

Thanks

And why do you think there are evens supposed to be resistors there on this particular mobo...???

^ It is entirely possible those components were removed from the design before Gigabyte started production. The only pictures I can find are from reviews and are too low resolution for me to figure out if those components should be there or not.

Even if someone did take measurements for you, those measurements might not be valid ... the components could be in parallel with other resistors or components that will distort the reading. If you want an accurate measurement you have to remove the surface mount component (or at least desolder it and tilt it up at an angle to break any circuits).

Thanks for the reply, the reason I think there are supposed to be components there is because the pads have the copper exposed (no solder on them).
Regarding the components being in parallel, I wouldn't expect someone to remove the resistor just to take a reading for me but if I had a target value, I could solder on different resistor values until both components read the correct value when soldered onto the board.

There is no way in hell these two "missing" resistors are the source of your problem...
Reset BIOS, remove all expansion cards, disconnect all drives. Try booting just the mobo with RAM, CPU and Video card. If that doesn't work, remove RAM, and turn the PC ON. If you get beeps, it was most likely bad RAM. If no beeps, most likely a bad CPU. Start with the basics, before trying to redesign your motherboard...:eek:

I have already tried the basics, with no ram installed the result is the same (restart loop, no post). However the CPU works fine in other boards.
Why is it you think the resistors cannot be the source of the problem?

Unless he knows the exact schematic for the board and what exactly those two (missing?) components are there for, he can't really say if those (missing?) components are (not?) the source of the problem.

That said I do agree in a way ... it seems unlikely that the board just happened to ship with missing components. Not to mention the absence of solder tells me that there may never have been components placed on the board at that location to begin with. Unless someone with the same exact board pops up in here with pictures showing that there are resistors on their board at that location, I'd say you are probably looking for a zebra when the problem is only a horse.

Anyway ... my guess is that something else on the board is broken. Just RMA it.

Board is out of warranty period so I would like to repair if possible. The only reason I think there are missing components there is that there is no solder on the pads. I have never seen a board with empty pads and no solder on them before, normally there is solder on the pads even if no component is placed there at the factory.
Unless someone with the same exact board pops up in here with pictures showing that there are resistors on their board at that location
That's what I'm hoping for :)

Anyway, thanks for replying, I know it may not be the problem but to me it seems the only thing about the board that doesn't look as it should.

try baking the entire motherboard in a standard oven... I've brought back a dozen HP dv9000 series laptops, a macbook pro, and two graphics cards using the baking method... the worst that could happen is your board doesn't POST (oh wait... ;) )

preheat your oven to 390* Fahrenheit
ball up some aluminum foil to use as posts to level the board with ( 4 - 6 big aluminum balls should do)...

make sure all removal components are removed (RAM, CPU, etc)

place the foil balls on a baking sheet large enough to support your motherboad

place your mothoarboard CPU-side UP on the foil balls

press down gently on the points where the foil are laying underneath, to mash them down a bit, distributing the weight and making a solid "stand" for the motherboard to sit on (the aluminum will flatten out a bit)

put the sheet in the middle rack in the oven and close the door

bake for 10 minutes

turn the oven off and open the door a little bit to let the heat slowly escape for 10 minutes

open the door all the way and let the remainder of the heat escape for 10 minutes

re-assemble

pray

test

post your results

Hi, if it turns out that the resistors are not the fault then I will try re-flowing the north bridge with a heat gun (less stressful on other components than an oven), thanks for the suggestion.

Hi, if it turns out that the resistors are not the fault then I will try re-flowing the north bridge with a heat gun (less stressful on other components than an oven), thanks for the suggestion.

Be careful with a heat gun. If you get too close to the board you'll warp the PCB and possibly damage nearby components. Been there, done that.

Quick update: I asked Gigabyte support about the resistors and here is their reply.
"Hi,
R2722 = Empty
R2721 = resistor 470 ohm."

I'll order the new resistor and let you know how it goes.

That's a very close solder job... take pics and send the results! ... also, it's amazing that GA support would send you information that specific about a board... that speaks monuments to their customer support, IMO.

Ok, I've soldered the resistor onto the board but the board still goes into a reboot loop without posting. However some progress seems to have been made, the board will now beep at me like mad if i don't install any ram (before it wouldn't do this).

Back