GA-965P-DS3 good to go ?

gepetto

Limp Gawd
I think I'm going to order one, especially with the reviews it got at xtremesystems and the sale newegg has on them today. Do you think this is the way to go if you don't need SLI or Crossfire but want to do some overclocking? And I'd prefer to not spend over $175 for a mobo.

My rig:

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
P4 2.8c
1 gig ocz extreme PC3500
420W Power Supply
Nvidia TNT PCI w/ 16mb ram <---yes i will be getting rid of this
Soundblaster Audigy 2

chickenselects said:
depending on the CPU iv seen people with over 500fsb on the DS3. Its a winner

That also depends on the multiplier being used from what I've seen. Not that 500 bus speed isn't good with any multiplier :).

kirbyrj said:
That also depends on the multiplier being used from what I've seen. Not that 500 bus speed isn't good with any multiplier :).
Yeah it seems the lower end C2Ds are clocking higher on the DS3. That's fine...if my E6600 caps out at 400mhz fsb, I will still be running @ 3.6ghz....that should be plenty :)

jebo_4jc said:
Yeah it seems the lower end C2Ds are clocking higher on the DS3. That's fine...if my E6600 caps out at 400mhz fsb, I will still be running @ 3.6ghz....that should be plenty :)

that's what I'm hoping for out of my Abit AB9 Pro. I think I saw it over at Anandtech hitting in the 375 range with stock multiplier. With a bios revision or two, it should be up around 400 I'd think.

what ram you getting with your DS3? Will any DDR2 800work?
I'm looking for the perfect 2GB Ram to go in this board for under or around 200$.

I have exactly the OPs setup to the point except I have a 6800NU and geil PC3500 instead, strange to see someone with such a close setup :). Anyways, I ordered the DS3 and preordered a E6400. From the very few tests that are on the XS forums, that looks to be a good combination. I think it's the best bet. I got mine on mwave with a big typhoon for like $195 shipped total. If you need a cooler still, the typhoon is only $42 from mwave with the DS3, lowest price I've seen, and the DS3 is the lowest price on mwave too.

tys90 said:
I have exactly the OPs setup to the point except I have a 6800NU and geil PC3500 instead, strange to see someone with such a close setup :). Anyways, I ordered the DS3 and preordered a E6400. From the very few tests that are on the XS forums, that looks to be a good combination. I think it's the best bet. I got mine on mwave with a big typhoon for like $195 shipped total. If you need a cooler still, the typhoon is only $42 from mwave with the DS3, lowest price I've seen, and the DS3 is the lowest price on mwave too.

I do need a nice cooler efor the DS3...which typhoon are you speaking of? Could you link me perhaps? Thanks.

Chris583 said:
I do need a nice cooler efor the DS3...which typhoon are you speaking of? Could you link me perhaps? Thanks.

I got the Ninja and hope the big sum-bee-yoch fits.

The ICC's used. There is probably a thread in the memory section of the forum dealing with the specifics. I'd be willing to bet that the black ones clock higher while maintaining some decent timings.

Chris583 said:
Ahh sorry, thought you would know what I was talking about...it's only one of the best CPU HS/F out there :). Google Big Typhoon and you'll get plenty of reviews and results to see for yourself. Here it is on mwave

i just ordered one with a 7600GT, skythe ninja, and p-d 930 as a holdover till core 2's are cheap and plentiful.

should be here monday and ill post my opinion here.

I've seen a few issues with this board already at xtreme systems. One of them being that the board overclocks real well with the E6300's they've tested and will do 450Mhz+ FSB but with the E6600/E6700 it doesn't like to go over 400MHz FSB. It's likely a BIOS issue that will get sorta out but at the moment it is an issue if you're wanting to get over 400MHz. I've also seen some issues reported with the JMicron IDE controller. Might want to read through a few of the threads at XS entirely and not just stop at a few of the overclocking results. I went with the Abit AB9 Pro myself since it looks like it will be a better overclocker once Abit gets another BIOS update out.

just ordered mine today w/ some corsair pc 6400. should be here tomorrow, can't wait.

Everything is ordered and on its way. Can't wait.

Here is my new rig, its all on its way:

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
E6300
XFX PV-T73G-UDE3 Geforce 7600GT 256MB
CORSAIR XMS2 1GB PC6400

should be a good overclocker/budget combo to tide me over for awhile.

Pretty similar to what I'm getting gepetto. The DS3, E6300, Scythe Ninja, 2x1 GB OCZ Gold DDR2-800, and an X1800XT 256 MB. Can't wait ;)

I tried the DS3 mobo last week and it was a big flake...

Makes hissing noises from the motherboard.

I used the software to overclock the CPU and than it wouldn't boot my CPU anymore... Even clearing the CMOS and unplugged over night...

Eventually I returned it and got the ASUS P5B vanilla... Much better for overclocking it seems... without problems... But this ASUS makes popping sounds from the sound card. Now I need to buy a cheap soundcard that doesn't pop...

Couple of questions about this mobo and 965.
Makes hissing noises from the motherboard.
First can anyone confirm this as a fluke? I would like a quite computer.

Second, since this chipset has anly one IDE connection, would there be any performance decrease from running a PATA HDD and a DVD burner together on it?

Actually I think that's it. thanks

alexik01 said:
Couple of questions about this mobo and 965.

First can anyone confirm this as a fluke? I would like a quite computer.

Second, since this chipset has anly one IDE connection, would there be any performance decrease from running a PATA HDD and a DVD burner together on it?

Actually I think that's it. thanks

who knows... It couldn have been just that board alone but when I tried to overclock it would give me weird results... I would go with the ASUS....

Runs PD 805 @ 3700mhz @ 1.5 volts... Where the junkabyte would make noises and wouldn't work with the corsair ram rated @ speed... I had to lower my ram speed to get it stable..

Back