GA-965P-DQ6 BIOS F6

JethroXP

[H]ard|Gawd
(sorry if this is considered a double post, my earlier post was in the root motherboard forum, and I meant to put it here).

Has anyone recieved a GA-965P-DQ6 from Newegg in the past month or so? If so, what BIOS did it ship with? Mine arrived today, but my QX6700 doesn't arrive until next week, and I've just realized that the GA-965P-DQ6 only supports Quad Core with BIOS F6 and later, which was only released on October 12th, 2006, so I'm not sure if that's enough time for it to have gotten in to shipping motherboards.

I'm a bit concerned as to what might happen if it has a BIOS of F5 or lower when I try to boot up for the first time with a Kentsfield in the socket.

EDIT: Scanning the box I just noticed that I actually have a Rev 2.0 board, which I didn't even realized existed. Apparently the only difference between Rev 1.0 and Rev 2.0 is that Rev 1.0 has a Marvell 8053 Gigabit LAN Controller, while Rev 2.0 has a Marvell 8056 Gigabit LAN Controller plus the Rev 2.0 also has 4 external eSATAII ports.

Personally, I don't think you'll have the right bios (not to try and scare you off or anything). I bought brand new boards at newegg that had bioses that were 6 months older than the current ones available. They were even popular ones that should have had a relatively short shelf life in their stock. Even with a CPU that is unrecognized, it might work at the wrong speeds or without the right number of cores registering in bios long enough to flash the bios to one that works.

If not, you might be stuck getting a cheapo LGA775 chip to flash with or borrowing one from a friend or taking your computer to a local shop and borrowing a CPU and having them flash it for you.

Sweet ! the .2 boards are brand new and increases the chance you will have a fairly new bios. It wont hurt anything to put the chip in and try to boot in case that was a concern. It will either boot or not but not hurt anything, It might even boot without fully recognizing the quad core but you could update the bios.

There is a handy utility look at the bottom of the first bios screen, you put in a floppy with the bios file and hit a key while in the bios screen and it burns the new bios. It works well, I have used it every time. I set to defaults, save, put in floppy, boot, go to burn menu, select the bios (the board has 2 copies of the bios for backup reasons) burn it, reboot, and look that all my stuff is reconized on boot and then rinse and repeat for the secondary bios.

Cool, thanks for the advice. Of course this just happens to be the first PC I've built *without* a floppy drive :eek: I thought I was taking a step forward by leaving out the old floppy (the last PC I built in 2003 (in my sig below) has a floppy, but I can count the times I've used it on one hand), apparently they still have their uses. You'd think that modern motherboards would be able to recognize USB storage from the BIOS by now so that floppies aren't necessary.

JethroXP said:
Cool, thanks for the advice. Of course this just happens to be the first PC I've built *without* a floppy drive :eek: I thought I was taking a step forward by leaving out the old floppy (the last PC I built in 2003 (in my sig below) has a floppy, but I can count the times I've used it on one hand), apparently they still have their uses. You'd think that modern motherboards would be able to recognize USB storage from the BIOS by now so that floppies aren't necessary.

Some of them do...Gigabyte and Asus both have options in bios to flash off of a USB device. Most of the time I just do it in Windows :eek: .

DQ6 Rev.1 boards generally ship with BOS F3. The new DQ6 Rev. 2 boards ship with Bios F6/F7. You will need F7 to be Kentsfield compatible.

I'd try to get a Rev. 2 board if you can. I went through a lot of problems with my first Rev.1 board which I RMAed. The replacement board is a newer Rev.1, some changes over the first board are evident, but I would still prefer a Rev. 2 board which has hopefully matured past some 965/ICH8/AHCI problems.

JethroXP said:
(sorry if this is considered a double post, my earlier post was in the root motherboard forum, and I meant to put it here).

Has anyone recieved a GA-965P-DQ6 from Newegg in the past month or so? If so, what BIOS did it ship with? Mine arrived today, but my QX6700 doesn't arrive until next week, and I've just realized that the GA-965P-DQ6 only supports Quad Core with BIOS F6 and later, which was only released on October 12th, 2006, so I'm not sure if that's enough time for it to have gotten in to shipping motherboards.

I'm a bit concerned as to what might happen if it has a BIOS of F5 or lower when I try to boot up for the first time with a Kentsfield in the socket.

EDIT: Scanning the box I just noticed that I actually have a Rev 2.0 board, which I didn't even realized existed. Apparently the only difference between Rev 1.0 and Rev 2.0 is that Rev 1.0 has a Marvell 8053 Gigabit LAN Controller, while Rev 2.0 has a Marvell 8056 Gigabit LAN Controller plus the Rev 2.0 also has 4 external eSATAII ports.

Where did you get your V 2.0 mobo?

Thanks

Order it from Newegg. A friend of mine order one last week and also got the Rev 2.0, so that must be all they have now. Also, I found out that it shipped with the F7 BIOS, which is the latest BIOS avaiable.

mucho thanks. I've seen and read about too many issues and bugs with the Nvidia Intel chipsets and don't need sli anyway.

Thanks again :D

Back