G9x is an out-of-the box train wreck

brinjin

Limp Gawd
I posted this earlier on Logitech forums, i thought id try here too just incase you guys had any advice:

Hello i just want to make sure i'm not missing any easy fixes before i pay to send this little disaster back to Newegg.

Right out of the box after pluggin in the mouse and lettle the driver install on my Win 7 64 bit pc, the first thing i noticed was that the mouse lit up with the little man and 2 led bars for the dpi setting. So i pressed the "dpi -" button and sure enough one led switched off and the mouse felt less sensitive.

Then i pressed the "dpi +" button and nothing happened. None of the other LEDs would light back up, and the sensitivity remained the same.

OK. So i thought maybe that all has to do with Setpoint. So i loaded it up, created some profiles, made sure to check the option for manual profile switching as opposed to application controlled. Clicked apply and OK to confirm the settings. And......nothing changed. Pressing the profile button would ONLY reset the current profile to the original 2 bar dpi setting. Pressing "dpi +" did nothing what so ever, and pressing "dpi -" would drop to level 1. But then it would remain stuck there because "dpi +" refused to work.

Next i tried switching profiles. I held the profile button, the LEDs blnked while i held it, and i tried pressing both the "dpi -" and "dpi +" buttons. Neither worked for switching profiles. Again i DID set profile switching to manual inside Setpoint.

After numerous failed attempts like this to switch profiles i tried going into Setpoint and swapping the heirarchy of the profiles stored in the memory, moving my "gaming" profile to the top position. After clicking OK the profile changed and the LEDs switched to the green color i had spec for that profile, and the sensitivty and button mapping all seemed inline with how i set the profile. So again i tried manually adjusting dpi using the buttons, and again could only go down to level 1, repeated attempts to re-raise the dpi with the "dpi +" button did nothing. Next i again tried to manually switch profiles by holding the profile button while pressing either "dpi -" or "dpi +" and again the leds would flash, but the profile remained stuck on the current selection.

One final problem i noticed while trying to pack the mouse back up for return was that the springloaded tray where i had inserted the four 7gram weights was now stuck in the closed position and i could not get it open again to save my life.

So while i highly doubt any exist, if anyone has any obvious solutions to these probs please let me know, otherwise im just going to assume i got a lemon and send it back. Thanks!!

To get the weight tray out all you have to do is gently press it in and it pops out. If that isn't happening (assuming it was inserted properly and nothing is stuck in it) then it sounds like you got a faulty unit.

The other things you said does make it sound like you got a faulty unit... Of all the ones i've used this has never happened!

The dpi buttons do not require any software be installed for them to work. If the dpi+ button isn't working, it is definitely a faulty unit.

Thanks for the advice all. I knew it would pay off to post here. I haven't got one reply on Logitech's forum yet... Sent the package back to newegg. Blows that they don't cover return shipping anymore. I mean i understand why they don't, and it makes sense i suppose, but it still blows.

Don't give up on the G9 if you can get a replacement. It really is an excellent mouse with the most precise sensor I've ever used. The only reason I use my Deathadder primarily is that its more comfortable to me. Still the G9 is a close 2nd on my all time favorite mouse list.

Thanks for the advice all. I knew it would pay off to post here. I haven't got one reply on Logitech's forum yet... Sent the package back to newegg. Blows that they don't cover return shipping anymore. I mean i understand why they don't, and it makes sense i suppose, but it still blows.

Next time you have an issue, call Logitech support. Seriously, there's a fairly good chance they'll just send you a replacement.

I had an issue with my G7 mouse intermittently losing connection so I called them up asking for a RMA. CSR took down my info then proceeded to ask if there was anything else I needed. When I mentioned I needed a return address to send my mouse back he replied "Well it's broken, right? Just throw it away."

I hear they're not as generous now, probably due to fraud...but it's still worth a try giving them a call.

If you email them instead of using their automated RMA request system you can persuade them to reimburse return shipping costs, especially if the item is defective.

If you email them instead of using their automated RMA request system you can persuade them to reimburse return shipping costs, especially if the item is defective.

Or live chat with them.. or call them on the phone.

Next time you have an issue, call Logitech support. Seriously, there's a fairly good chance they'll just send you a replacement.

I had an issue with my G7 mouse intermittently losing connection so I called them up asking for a RMA. CSR took down my info then proceeded to ask if there was anything else I needed. When I mentioned I needed a return address to send my mouse back he replied "Well it's broken, right? Just throw it away."

I hear they're not as generous now, probably due to fraud...but it's still worth a try giving them a call.

Logitech has awesome support like this. I too had a broken G7. They sent me a brand new G9 as a replacement and told me not to send the G7 back.

I haven't had any problems with my G9, Logitech has good support so you should get taken care of by them.

Where the hell is the automated RMA system? I need to send my G9x back, but was going to call because I couldn't find an online way.

Back