G92 November 12

74 days left to step-up for me...precisely November 12th.

Does the step-up last through the 12th, meaning an upgrade, or at 12:01 AM 11/12?

It's gonna be close...I'm hoping for a replacement to the 8800 line :D

8800GS & 8800GT is what I'm thinking it will be.

nVidia would pretty much be performing an over-saturation of models, like what they have done with the notebook market.
Let's see what all they've got:
8400GS
8400GT
8600GS
8600GT

And different memory/bus variations as well models that have TurboCache.

It just gets to be a mess...if they were smart, they'd either:
A. Replace existing high-end line with the new models.
B. Replace existing middle-tier cards.

They don't need an intermediate level between the 8800GTS 320 (can now be had for something like $270 with rebate, eVGA) and the 8600GTS, which costs $209 (eVGA as well).

74 days left to step-up for me...precisely November 12th.

Does the step-up last through the 12th, meaning an upgrade, or at 12:01 AM 11/12?

It's gonna be close...I'm hoping for a replacement to the 8800 line :D

I'm hoping too. But if the article is true, the performance margin won't be as high until the high end (whatever the name will be) is released.

Also, even if it's launched on Nov.12, that doesn't mean evga would have it available on the website right away. =/

I'm not sure how much of a performance gap the g92 will have with my ultra...

I'm hoping too. But if the article is true, the performance margin won't be as high until the high end (whatever the name will be) is released.

Also, even if it's launched on Nov.12, that doesn't mean evga would have it available on the website right away. =/

That would be very miserable indeed. :(

I'd guess that the performance gap between the 8800GTS and Ultra is what you're going to get. If the recent "reports" are anything to go by, the G92 isn't a high-end card (duh), it's a useful mainstream card. Supposedly (just like the ignored rumor by many), it's still going to be between the 8600GTS and the 8800GTS. It could also "replace" 8800GTS, although I doubt it will out-perform it with it's 256-bit bus vs a 320-bit. Especially since this is likely a die-shrink and little else from reports. Look at the huge gap between the 8600GTS and the 8800GTS in the AMDzone Bioshock benchmark...50 vs 17fps...

hmm. maybe i should just step up to a GTX right now. if these rumors are anything close to true, apparently nVidia doesn't have plans to replace the GTX before Q1/Q2 '08?

I was looking forward to selling my 8800gts for the new gen cards for christmas 9800gts but I guess I'll be waiting a bit longer. Looks like Nvidia is running out of steam.

After reading this, i'm glad i held out on a 8600gts :D Besides, the games i play are just fine on a 7600gt at 1440x900 with everything cranked up.

I would bet that all of these claims are BS. Why would Nvidia drop down its bus to 256? Hell rumors on the 8 series and 2900 were totally off so why would these be any different?

I still believe what the inquirer said today which is that the G92 is high end with 384-bit and 768mb. I think the G98 will be the one with the 256-bit bus. Making two new midrange cards just doent make any sense.

If this is true I'm gonna be kind of bummed, I was really hoping to have a 2nd generation high end DX10 card in my hands by Christmas. I really want to start messing around with DX10 but I won't buy in until the 2nd gen.

Remember the good old days when the choice was only ti4200, ti4400, or ti4600.
It was a much simpler time...:rolleyes:

If this is true I'm gonna be kind of bummed, I was really hoping to have a 2nd generation high end DX10 card in my hands by Christmas. I really want to start messing around with DX10 but I won't buy in until the 2nd gen.

You will and i will be bundled with Crysis. So let it be written so let it be done:D

it would make sense for them to only release new midrange cards since they have no competition in the high end, midrange is all ati has a hope of taking over anytime soon. i think they will put out something high end though instead of making people wait a year and a half after the 8 series came out for a new high end.

Why would they downgrade to a 256bit interface to compete when currently the GTS's have a 320bit interface?

I still believe what the inquirer said today which is that the G92 is high end with 384-bit and 768mb. I think the G98 will be the one with the 256-bit bus. Making two new midrange cards just doent make any sense.

Hey, it could swing the other way. I'm just saying that more and more "evidence" so close to the supposed launch is pointing to both cards at the mid-range and low-end respectively. If it does turn out this way, I doubt it will be very long until they release a new top-end card in early 2008 for example. People will just cry that it won't coincide with the release of Crysis and then forget about it when they play the game ;).

Mainstream is where the money is at, that makes sense. Top-end doesn't get you mass-sales (see: Wii vs PS3 ;)). For all of the people who cried wolf when the 8400s and 8500s sucked butt, you'd think this would be good news. Currently a $150 8600 class card can't compete with a PCI-e x1950xt or 7900/50GTX. This could be Nvidia's way of cleaning up it's mid-range and low-end offerings. These new cards are supposed to line-up to compete with ATi's (who looks to be doing the same) new mid-range and low-end cards that are releasing around the same time. If anything, the 8400 and 8500 series are only useful for HTPCs and 0 gaming. Why the DX10 support? Why not? The cards are so weak that DX9-only support is just as useless ;).

An 8600 class card is only good for DX9 gaming for the most part. DX10 games have to be reduced quite a bit to make them playable on that card series. You still can't notice a difference at those low DX10 settings vs high DX9 settings (obviously better visually), this is the reason there was an uproar about it in the first place (although people just screamed "DX10 sucks!"). G98 will pick up the 8600's slack and G92 will fill the price/performance void at $200-ish, phasing out the current "mid-range" champ, the 8800GTS 320MB *gasp.

Really, no one knows, but that's what it's looking like so far. Another thing, I never understood why people assumed so much to think that they'd codename a high-end card "G92". Yeah...a random #2 for a high-end card because? Yeah, there's the ol' "hey you never know" argument just like with everything else, but I'll chalk it up to people "going with the crowd". The fat lady hasn't sung, so this latest news could be false, but at this point I doubt it. Nvidia is the current champ, they will try to stay ahead for sure. Releasing your next crowning achievement just to stay with your track-record isn't always smart. ATi had all kinds of time to capitalize and looked what happened. Releasing something first or last doesn't always guarantee victory. Nvidia will release it when it's ready, UNLESS THEY HAVE TO AND THIS CHRISTMAS THEY HAVE NO PRESSURE.

hmm.... i just got a 8800gtx today... and was planning to step up if a new high end card comes out in nov... this kind of slaps me in the face...

but i guess i dont have to go through the step up process...

Reading comprehension for the win. :rolleyes:

For your information, I did read the post carefully and the primary article. We have been somewhat told--up til now--that the g92 would be replacing the 8800gtx. But now, as it appears, it will just replace the GTS. And of course, the G98 is the mainstream chip, replacing the 8600 line. So what's to replace the GTX? Article didn't say explicitly but I guess one can interpret that it won't be replaced.

Why can't anyone on these forums make a constructive post without being a complete douchebag. It's really infuriating.

Why would they downgrade to a 256bit interface to compete when currently the GTS's have a 320bit interface?

nvidia could do what they commonly do with second generation products, they could have the GT (GTS in todays parlance) as a fully functional chip, just lower clocked from its Ultra (read: GTX sibling).

so, the 8900GTS could be a 128SPU/384bit version of the 128SPU/384bit 8900GTX, but clocked at 600/2000 rather than 800/2400.

the 8800 series was very such similarly organised to the 7800 cards
the 8900 series may end up very similar in organisation to the 7900 cards

For your information, I did read the post carefully and the primary article. We have been somewhat told--up til now--that the g92 would be replacing the 8800gtx. But now, as it appears, it will just replace the GTS. And of course, the G98 is the mainstream chip, replacing the 8600 line. So what's to replace the GTX? Article didn't say explicitly but I guess one can interpret that it won't be replaced.

Why can't anyone on these forums make a constructive post without being a complete douchebag. It's really infuriating.

Look at the numbering system... G80 = high end, G84 = midrange, G86 = low end. Now G92.. not G90.. G92. What would you guess it will be?

Nobody knows exactly what the G92 is, but since its codenamed the (90 series) I still would assume its the successor to the (G80 8800 series). It just makes logical sense.

Nobody knows exactly what the G92 is, but since its codenamed the (90 series) I still would assume its the successor to the (G80 8800 series). It just makes logical sense.
thats very likely and I think theG98 will be the 256bit mid range card

I appears that if theinquirer is correct, it will have 768 megs ram and be on a 384 bit bus.

I can't really see why they would kill the bus. I have heard that the ultra options will have 1.5 gigs on it, and the same 384 bus.

be nice to havea 9800GTS 768 at 300 dollars. be freakin awesome :)

some may knock Theo, but, knowing him a bit more than the average forum person, I have to say that he just reports as he sees things. the 30,000 future mark he saw and witnessed, however, he was not able to really inspect the machine as to how it came to that number.

Some say it is due to a setting the machine was on that is non standard for comparison. I do not think he could have checked that. If anything, AMD/ati twisted it so that number would pop out.

He also does know a lot about the new 90 series gpu's. People yap all the time who work for these companies. It is not hard to get them to talk. everyone is a hero or underdog it seems.

It seems highly unlikely that this will be positioned sub 8800GTS if it has 384bit memory. I'm guessing 8900GT or 8850GT nomenclature if it has 384 bit mem.

By the way, a lot of this speculation is derived from the amount of memory, but there's no reason why 768MB couldn't be placed on a 256bit bus. I'm not saying it is a 256 bit bus, I'm just saying that the amount of memory doesn't prove that it's 384 bit, although it does debunk 320bit.

It's quite possible they chose this odd number because they don't want a non-top-end card to have more memory than the 8800 Ultra, would probably piss some people off who bought the card not too long ago.

Anotehr possiblity: its using DDR4 mem instead of DDR3. Hell DDR3 is showing up for sale for motherboards; when was the last time you saw the same speed/standard being used for both mobos and graphics cards? I think it was back in the day of the original GeForce I last saw that.

If it is using DDR4, then a 256 bit might make sense for a GTS class while using DDR4/384 for a GTX+ class of cards.

Random speculation with little but logical thought behind it.

What garbage, No new awesome video card 4 Crysis, come-on, wtf, i hope alot of ppl get mad if they dont release another high end vid card in November

Thats alot of conclusions being pulled from a 1 paragraph article citing no sources.

The kid who packs my groceries says he heard from the guy who sleeps in the tire yard, that the G92 will actually be a leprechaun in a cage with dual DVI links and released on November 16th.

Atleast my BS has sources. Tire yard guy totally called the 2900 flop.

Listen, the entire 8800 line was beyond everyones expectations. The 8600 was a decent low/midrange.
We know that Nidia has been working on the next high end for close to a year.

Some people will believe anything you tell them.

Back