g90 worth the wait?

Good plan. The chipset should have time to mature a bit by then. :)

I am waiting for the next generation.It does not show in my sig but the gtx was sent back in favor of the new cards comming out,l hope.

I am waiting for the next generation.It does not show in my sig but the gtx was sent back in favor of the new cards comming out,l hope.

Yep, I sold my gtx and am using my back up card until next Gen cards show up. The GTS holds its own fairly well.

I'm sitting on a pair of 7900GTXs, I'm gonna buy a new G90 ("GeForce 9") when it hits the streets...

Skipping the best generation of hardware ever introduced?

Wow. Let that sink in for a bit...

Whatever g90/92 is, it won't represent the incredible leap over the competition that g80 did. The 8800's will go down in the history. There are still practically no apps that can slow down a GTX/Ultra. The 8800's won't be considered "slow" cards for many, many years...

Let this thread die please, just all the other clones of it that people seem to miss... Anyway there are a 1-2 games that can slow down an Ultra etc. Granted only at super high resolutions and like the poorly coded game CoJ (horrid and useless). DiRT and R6: Vegas are examples of poorly coded software, WiC may join them as well, but it's still too early to tell as there are hardly any reviews for it (let alone decent ones, or if any of the Nvidia/Vista hot-fixes are used).

Whatever g90/92 is, it won't represent the incredible leap over the competition that g80 did. The 8800's will go down in the history. There are still practically no apps that can slow down a GTX/Ultra. The 8800's won't be considered "slow" cards for many, many years...

I agree with that statement with the exception of the highlighted. The 8800 is already slow, IMO. I want a solution that will allow me to run everything at 60+ FPS @ 2560x1600. I also want a single card solution or for them to fix SLI so it supports multi-monitor properly. :D

Though you are right, coming from a 6800GTX to 7800GTX then SLI where incremental increases. The jump to even a single 8800 GTX was absolutely phenomenal.

SLI works, but it doesn't give a huge boost.

Well that's an uneducated statement if I ever read one... how can you make a blanket statement like that when you're talking about many different games that vary in SLI scaling? Also the scaling is totally dependant upon your settings.

Sorry, but you're wrong.

The flight sim x slows down the 8800 and i doubt you be able to play crysis in 1680x res in ultra high with a fps of no lower then 50

I really think the 8800Ultra/GTX is going to go down in the same category of my 9800pro.

I got a solid 2+ years out of that card.

Um...you mean the 9700Pro, iirc.

The 9800 wasn't much better, and was released quite a bit later. It was the 9700Pro that lasted, just as the 8800 is lasting now.

I'm not kicking myself for not buying an 8800 when they came out, because I couldn't afford it, but.,. damn. For a $700 @ release card to still be selling for $500 now...
I'll be in the market for a system in December, and it's killing me to think of buying an 8800GTX for $500.

Oh, and regarding Moore's law: Graphics cards stopped 6-month cycling some time ago. Moore's law doesn't really apply to power either: it was only ever meant to be about the number of transistors.

Unfortunately, I have yet to see a single card that can drive 30" monitor in native resolution with all eye candy. When a card like that comes out, then I'll be impressed :)

Sure, you could get SLi, which is pretty much made for 2560x1600 but hey :)

my only thing is that im not going to be paying 600 for a new card... i mean to me i have to draw the line someplace and that is at 400.. and if this new card does come out in a month and ive waited but its going to retail to a price similar to the 8800ultra then it would be a waist...

#1: I agree with you there, $600 is ridiculous no matter how much i want it and how amazing it may perform

#2: That is one of the funniest misspellings I've seen in a while. It's Waste :) A Waist is what you wear a belt on :D

Oh, and regarding Moore's law: Graphics cards stopped 6-month cycling some time ago. Moore's law doesn't really apply to power either: it was only ever meant to be about the number of transistors.
Moore's is every 18 Months not 6. I don't think anything is going quite that fast. But your right about it being in terms of transistor count and not raw performance.

Back to the question posed by the OP,
"g90 worth the wait?"

If you've been waiting since November of 2006, then I think most will agree the answer is a resounding "NO".
It's going to bring nothing to the table that wasn't already here feature/performance wise in one way or the other for the past 11 months.

I don't think that it was the hardware. Most generations of graphic cards are twice as fast as their predecessor anyway. Also, their were hardly any really decent PC games besides CC3 and SupCom up until Bioshock. I wouldn't compare the 8800 series to the 9700 series from ATI. When the 9700pro was released, it completely destroyed the new Geforce 4 tech of that same year. So no I don't think think the 8800s will go down in history like that but they will be remembered as the first cards to support Direct x10.

My 8800GTS 640 occasionally struggles at 1920x1200, so I would think at higher resolutions, a GTX will too in some games.

Will G90 be worth the wait? Who knows. It might be wonderful, it might have heat or power problems, etc. One thing is for certain, though, NVidia doesn't debut their high end parts cheaply. Expect to pay $650 at least. I don't think that the GTX or Ultra will ever see a significant price drop, though I hope to be wrong.

Bought a new computer w/ 8800 GTS 320MB to play Oblivion. Works well.

But playing Oblivion w/ crazy mods, forget it! I downloaded 25 gig worth of mods
for the game and just started the installation process and this game has huge potential
and it doesn't seem that any 8800 video card is up to the task based on early mod testing.

I guess 9800 is the ticket with at least 1G of vram :cool:

Oblivion w/mods is just *amazing*

so would it be worth it to upgrade to an 8800gts from my x800gto i have right now? or should i wait for g90?

I love these threads because nobody here knows any more than anybody else so how is someone going to know if it's worth the wait or not? Pull out their magic 8 ball?

Just do like everyone else has to, wait and see.

IMHO:

Based on Nvidia's prior release history we are almost past due for the refresh of the first gen 8800 cards. What this usually means, as with the 7900 to 7950, is a mild to moderate performance increase with some minor tweaks and a much cooler running design. That's really the downside to the current 8800s... size and heat. Sooner or later a die shrink or other enhancement will put the 8800s into a smaller package. With a little luck, that could be november.

Or, we could get squat. But I'm banking on a release of some kind from Nvidia for the Christmas season. The current lineup is old and stale from a marketing standpoint.

i just want a 9800gtx

Me too. :(

I recently picked up the Company of Heroes expansion and am waiting on Crysis. The old 8800GTX just isn't cutting the mustard any more and I'm hanging on to enjoy those titles as they were intended.

I love these threads because nobody here knows any more than anybody else so how is someone going to know if it's worth the wait or not? Pull out their magic 8 ball?

Just do like everyone else has to, wait and see.

fing dhu

Me too. :(

I recently picked up the Company of Heroes expansion and am waiting on Crysis. The old 8800GTX just isn't cutting the mustard any more and I'm hanging on to enjoy those titles as they were intended.

I'm having no problems at all playing COH with the computer in my sig...

I plugged in my skull trail dual QX 6950 / SLI 9800 ULTRA's and it immediately ate my left pinky finger...it then detached from my case pulling my Black Pearl 780i with it, dragging the water tubes like tentacles...it then ate both my cats...after leaving the house through a side wall, (Picture neat hole in wall the shape of the mobo with tentacles), it headed down the street to my neighbor the cops house...he is a k9 officer and I immediately heard the german shepherd barking followed by small arms fire, the eery silence...I grabbed my rifle and as I was headed out of the house I noticed the Intel/nVidia consortium user manual lying on the floor randomly opened to a page near the end...I caught a glimpse of , "In the event of odd cpu/gpu/mobo behavior call this number...". I grabbed my cell phone and frantically punched in the numbers as I was trying to tear the scope off my Min-30..(It is new and wasn't sighted in yet). I only got a strange tone from my cell followed by a recorded announcement telling me to leave the cell phone connection on but to remain calm and still...BULL!! I mean lives were at stake here! I rammed a 30 round clip in the trusty old firearm and kicked in my neighbors door...OH MY GOD...blood everywhere..the dogs head was ripped off and smoke was wafting out if its eye sockets..I ran to the back..my neighbor was dead on the ground..but wait..he was...? moving?, I ran to his side when to my horror the mobo burst from his chest, a bit of aorta in its mouth...the cooling fluid now clearly blood coursing through its "veins"...it screamed something horrible like some insectoid screetch from on old sci fi movie then it ejected itself from the corpses chest with such ferocity that it smashed strait up through the ceiling of his deck. I heard scuttling on the roof..I fired 10 or 15 random rounds through the roof and headed back to the street. I jumped off the porch and swung around to face the roof in mid air...there it was..standing on its hind tentacles, rearing up as if to launch itself at me...I brought the mini up squarely with memories of all that counter strike training instantly kicking in...I bunny hopped left as I emptied the rest of the clip into the monster.,,the rounds sparked as they bounced off...one of the rounds must have clipped a tentacle tube and blood began to spray under obviously super arterial pressures...just then it launched at me, luckily a bit slowed from its wound..I was able to roll under it to the right as it past wide to the left...it hit the ground and slid several steps on its tentacles before coming to a halt and spinning towards me before I could raise further than a crouch...all was over..

Just in time several Strikers pulled up with the Blackwater insignia on the side...immediately soldiers in balaclavas and gas masks in all black poured out and began firing at the creature...this only seamed to anger it, though more blood began to spray...it was distracted from me for a moment so I jammed another clip in the rifle and added my own 2 cents to the barrage...the abbhoration launched itself toward the soldiers, in the air it retracted its tentacles and began to spin so fast it sounded like chopper blades...striking the closes soldier in the neck it instantly decapitated him but wait..oh my God...the tentacles sprang out and actually in through the neck of the decapitated soldier...taking control of the corpse like a head crab. The dead soldiers rifle sprang up as the other mercenaries headed for cover. A man in an all white sterile environment suit appeared through the hatch of one of the strikers and another dressed the same way began to set up what appeared to be a satellite up link on the roof of another striker...meanwhile the zombifyed soldier somehow, as this if this wasn't a nightmare enough, spun directly toward me...I pulled the trigger and my few last rounds harmlessly pelted the corpse...I snapped...inexplicably I ran towards this ungodly thing...on the way I almost tripped over a crowbar someone had left in the street..scooping it up I violently began pummeling the creatures "head"..thump thump...it just looked at me and shook off the blows..it reached out and with surrealistic strength grabbed the crowbar in mid swing...the sensation in my arm was as if I had swung a baseball bad against a tank. I recoiled, falling backwards...the creature looked down at me...out of the corner of my eye a saw a scientist type jump out of the last striker wearing an odd orange suit, almost like an exoskeleton of some sort..he level an odd looking contraption at the creature and an low frequency pulsating humming noise enveloped the beast...it began to rise off the ground as if caught in some kind of tractor beam or gravity wave...it flailed helplessly in midair in the grip of the scientists contraption.

One of the men in the white suits took what looked like a remote control for my TV and pointed it at the zombie. He pressed a button and the skull trail went instantly still, the corpse slid off the limp tentacles to the ground with a wet thud. Soldiers surrounded the thing in a well rehearsed motion as the man in the orange used his weapon to lower the creature to the ground.

Just then one of the soldiers helped me up but then put his hand in my face and told me to move on...as I backed away in confused disbelief I overheard someone on the radio frantically saying, "Cancel the nuke, repeat anomaly contained...I say cancel the nuke..."

I went inside my house...jeez...my wife is gonna be pissed about the dead cats.

Thanks guys...I just couldn't take all the speculation...besides this is what happens when they give us government employees off for Columbus day...heh.

LOLOLOL I think maybe you played FEAR once too many times!!!

Did you know something. If you play FEAR backwards you will see angels wearing nVidia baseball caps with t-shirts of the new high end cards!!! try it, it might be good therapy for you until that next high end arrives. :p

EDIT: For those of you under 35 years of age, that is a reference to old people playing records backwards to hear the devil speak to them.
EDIT 2: Records were the means by which old people listened to music with a needle to pick vibrations of a rotating piece of vynl with tinny grooves that created electric signals that got amplified. NO JOKE.

that was awesome. Someone give that man a medal, or atleast a special tag beside his name.

Crysis can slow it down.

Crysis was designed so that as hardware gets better they will patch the game to allow use of the better graphics capabilities of the games. As it stands now crysis can make gtx/ultra break a sweat... but of course there's nothing else out there that can do better yet.

Crysis isn't optimized yet. All that anybody has seen is a sluggish beta. Wait until the final product comes out before you judge.

The flight sim x slows down the 8800 and i doubt you be able to play crysis in 1680x res in ultra high with a fps of no lower then 50

FSX is extremely CPU limited. Do you know this? The GPU makes very little difference so your comment about the 8800 slowing down is erroneous.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=27683

Unfortunately, I have yet to see a single card that can drive 30" monitor in native resolution with all eye candy. When a card like that comes out, then I'll be impressed :)

Sure, you could get SLi, which is pretty much made for 2560x1600 but hey :)

You know that 1% or less of the market is using that res. When that number increases, the power you seek will become more widely available. Sorry, a card isn't "old" if it can't run the latest games at 1920x1200. You people who say that are forgetting that most cards can never run such a res even on the day of their release, lol. A card is "old" when you're pretty much limited to 1280x1024 in titles that have come out within the past 2 years. Under these standards, the GTX will not be "old" for years to come. It will be perfectly good to use one full year from now. You people with the massive displays are just ridiculous. You're a tiny fraction of the market - you basically don't exist. So, uhm, go away? ;)

Back