G9 OR G9X ON 1680X1050

sikanx

n00b
is g9x 5600 dpi overkill for 22''

is orginal g9 more than enough?

except for increase in dpi, anyone notice other improvement going from g9 to g9x?

The DPI rating is for the optical sensor in the mouse. it is not related to your screens resolution.

To me it really depends on the price difference. If its about $10 I'd get the G9X, otherwise the G9 is fine. I got a couple G9's myself when they were clearing out inventories for $20-30 AR.

It would be overkill but as the above post says, if its a little difference in price, get it. This is hardforum, where overkill are our middle names.

The DPI rating is for the optical sensor in the mouse. it is not related to your screens resolution.

I see what he is saying though...at 5600 dpi your cursor will traverse the screen a lot faster than at something like 2000 dpi. As an example, when I was running 1920x1080 I thought 4000+ dpi was WAY too much, but at 2560x1600 it is a lot more manageable. If the 22" screen is 1680x1050 I think the G9 would be plenty...heck it would be plenty for most people even at higher resolutions.

Well, whether or not higher DPI is "needed" is really up to the user. Most people certainly don't need a 5600 dpi mouse, but it enables faster mouse movement. It can also make things harder to control with any degree of precision, so what many people do is run a high DPI when running around and switch to a lower DPI when sniping for more precision. Similarly, one might use a higher DPI for general Windows use and switch to a low DPI for precise photo editing.

In one of the recent mouse threads (there are quite a few, hard to keep track) there are charts indicating tests where the G9x sensor is superior to the G9. Not enough to justify an upgrade for someone who already has a G9 (like me), but for a new buyer, something to perhaps keep in mind.

DPI is largely irrelevant, so don't let that sway your decision. You can set it to whatever you wish, and even if you decide to max your DPI on a smaller resolution, you can always set windows pointer speed to be slower to compensate. (It seems some people do this purposely and mention a more fluid/smooth movement overall).

how much of a omprovment in smoothness/accuracy when go from 3200dpi to >5000dpi on a 1680x1050 screen would u expect?

If the sensor is what you want, its the same one as in the G500. If you prefer that style.

As for smoothness improvement...its more about distance you can cover. It actually feels smoother at lower DPIs in 2D, because the cursor moves slower. On my G9x at 1600x1200, I use full DPI 95% of the time, and click the DPI button down a notch to 3200 for small detailed work. I rarely go lower, pretty much only if image editing doing really tiny stuff, pixel-by-pixel. But when you have a high-DPI mouse, its really important having that button on the mouse to lower your DPI. edit: Btw this assumes you have windows negative acceleration (enhance pointer precision) turned off, otherwise its plenty smooth in 2d at high DPI, since as you slow down the pointer speed lowers.

In 3D, gaming, I'm pretty twitchy and at 5600 the mouse doesnt look like its moving on the pad. Its highly accurate, assuming you are, because your will is instantly made reality in the game. You twitch and the cursor moves exactly where you told it; if your aim sucks, you just told it to go way the hell off course. If you play by moving your entire hand for inches in any direction, the g9x sensor will be a bit of a shock.

I dont think its hard to get used to though. My fiancee figured it out pretty quickly, and she doesnt know anything about DPI/sensitivity/whatever...her gaming tastes run to Sims.

Last edited:
I have 3 1920x1200 side by side and 1500-1800 is the sweet spot for me on a g500 and g9x. When doing general window stuff I set it to 1500 for when I'm in one screen and 1800 when im going between them and multitasking. I use fingertip grip. To get to screen 1 to screen 3 at 1800 its a full flick of my wrist.

In wow I drop it to 1000-1500 depending on what im doing in the game. In FPS's I run it around 2200-2500 and 800 for sniping.

For a single 1680x1050 You might be a tad lower then me or higher its all personal, but the g9x/g9 can be played around with till you get the spot on settings for you.

When you get it set 5 different dpis close together like 1000, 1200, 1500, 1800, 2000 and play around and see what feels right. Adjust some more. play around etc. Settings take seconds to change on these mice. Change something hit apply and new settings are in.

Last edited:
Back