G80 vs 280... is it worth is?

FuriaRi0T

n00b
I currently own a BFG 8800 GTX OC... Would it really be worth "upgradeing" to the new 9800 GTX?

Also, how're the 9800 GX2's fareing? I've not had time to research into them.

After reading countless number of feedbacks, insights and recommendations, no, it's not worth upgrade at the moment. If you own a 7900GT/X, going to the 9800GTX/GX2/GTX280 is worth it. Anything higher than that, it's not worth it until much later when faster than current video cards come into play. For now, you have a good video card already.

well considering the only game that could even stress your card is crysis, do you feel you want to upgrade for better performance in that game? Because every other game that exists you should be able to play fine on your current card.

However, would you get better performance from a 9800 GTX? No, about the only benefit is that you would use less power. Dont waste your money upgrading to a 9800 GTX.

9800 GX2, is it worth upgrading to? Sure. I did. I had 2 8800 GTX's, and upgraded to 1 9800 GX2. I am happy as can be. Im sure I am using atleast 100w less power in both idle and load, and I have only 1 slot used up, and get better performance too boot :D

scored 18200 on my 2 GTX's overclocked, and scored 19400 on my new GX2.

Also have much higher FPS in DMC demo.

Bottom line is for me, I sold 2 GTX's for more then I bought the GX2 for. I get better FPS, and I use less power.

For me its a total win, but for you it may not be the same. Although you could seel your card, and buy a GX2, if that makes you happy. As long as your not doing res's over 1920x1200 you shouldnt have any problems, and it would be a smart choice.

I currently own a BFG 8800 GTX OC... Would it really be worth "upgradeing" to the new 9800 GTX?

Going from a 8800 GTX to a 9800 GTX, isn't an upgrade. It's actually a downgrade in some instances. So that's a no go.

As far as GTX 280 goes, yes it's worth it, but only if you intend to play @ 1920x1200 or higher. If that's not what you're going to do, you're probably better off in keeping your GTX.

well considering the only game that could even stress your card is crysis, do you feel you want to upgrade for better performance in that game? Because every other game that exists you should be able to play fine on your current card.

I'm sorry but I wish people would stop saying that, it's totally not true! There are loads of games that can stress a 8800gtx, and I'm sure if the OP was considering upgrading then he isn't 100% satisfied with the performance in every game.

Other than Crysis, there is also Age of Conan, ArmA, CoH, SupComm, Grid, Assass Creed... I'm tired of people moaning that they shouldn't upgrade because Crysis is the only game [usually adding afterwards that 'it's a crap game anyway!11']

Nevertheless... I agree that the 9800 GTX won't be a very noticeable improvement. Get a GTX 280 and you will notice a big improvement. I wouldn't get a GX2 because of problems with multi-GPU in general... I went down that route and didn't like it. I'm very pleased with the GTX 280 though.

I'm sorry but I wish people would stop saying that, it's totally not true! There are loads of games that can stress a 8800gtx, and I'm sure if the OP was considering upgrading then he isn't 100% satisfied with the performance in every game.

Other than Crysis, there is also Age of Conan, ArmA, CoH, SupComm, Grid, Assass Creed... I'm tired of people moaning that they shouldn't upgrade because Crysis is the only game [usually adding afterwards that 'it's a crap game anyway!11']

Nevertheless... I agree that the 9800 GTX won't be a very noticeable improvement. Get a GTX 280 and you will notice a big improvement. I wouldn't get a GX2 because of problems with multi-GPU in general... I went down that route and didn't like it. I'm very pleased with the GTX 280 though.

I just came from an 8800 GTX, actually 2 of them. even when running 1 card, I had no problems with any of the games you mentioned, on my Gateway FHD2400 (1920x1200) using just 1 of my 2 GTX's. The ony game I even needed to turn SLI on for was Crysis, and it ran just fine.

What problems did you have w/ the 9800 GX2? Ill admit I just got mine, but so far Ive had no issues, and in most cases get better performance then a GTX 280.

Pending on the resolution and the game, a 9800GX2 will give about the performance of 2 8800GTX's in sli. I came to this conclusion comparing [H]'s game play reviews of the 8800GT and 9800GX2.

In the same boat, have an eVGA 8800GTX and C2Duo 6600 and currently my gaming rig is under XP Pro x86, but going to Vista Ulitmate 64 . I play Flight Sim X at 1920x1080 with a ton of different add on's and have to keep the environment in the game fairly low (less buildings, less animation of cars driving around, less traffic in the air..etc) for it to run smoot on my set-up. While I am no where near maxxing out the game settings, the game does run well and looks great, but it could be better and I have $500-$700 bucks to burn.

I was thinking of going to a GTX 280 + a quad core Q6700 and keeping my same mobo (gigabyte GA-965P DS3). Is going from a C2D 6600 to a Q6700 even worth doing for gaming? Or should I just go with the GTX 280 upgrade for now and worry about a CPU/Mobo upgrade when I could afford it?

lol i have the same setup, e6600, ds3, and a 8800 gtx.

I'm planning on upgrading to a 4870x2 2gb DDR5 and then waiting til Nehalem comes out to upgrade my cpu/mobo/ram. Upgrading now seems like a waste as it won't work with anything in a year.

Back