G80 a bit*h to watercool.

kleox64

[H]ard|Gawd
Iam looking at the pics of the review at pconline.com and the G80 cooling is a single piece cooler. Iam basically gona need heatsinks for the output chip and the VRM area plus a new mounting kit for my MCW60 block. I guesiing we will be seeing G80 watercooling kits.

There's nothing significantly different about the 8800. We're not certain what sort of cooling the external RAMDAC ship will need, nor do we know what will be necessary for cooling the GDDR3.

It's not a bitch, it's just a new card. This happens every generation -- our full cover blocks no longer fit, we need new mounting hardware for our GPU blocks, and we need some different ramsinks. No big deal.

For reference, this is 8800/G80 topic #374 (estimated).

The RAM is fine using standard RAM sinks but I do not have the time or the equipment to start making my own copper/aluminium heatsinks plus mounting hardware.

Then you'll have to wait for the manufacturer of your block to A) make a new block or B) supply adequate mounting hardware.

If this is a thread dedicated to a complaint, that's all good and well, but I'm not certain I understand the nature of the complaint.

New Holddown plate for MCW60 / Maze4

And a chipset cooler for the RAMDAC...

Victory.

Problem solved, sort of. Not the best mixing Cu and Al together.

dsc02092largemv3.jpg

dsc02089largemd5.jpg
dsc02091largerk1.jpg

dsc02085largesv7.jpg

dsc02115largeaz0.jpg

dsc02120largerx5.jpg

dsc02118largejm4.jpg

absolute crap, I do not want to see any aluminium in my WC setup, sorry but no thanks. Excellent piece of engineering though, shame it couldnt of been copper and derlin.

kleox64 said:
absolute crap, I do not want to see any aluminium in my WC setup, sorry but no thanks. Excellent piece of engineering though, shame it couldnt of been copper and derlin.

And not like 250$ :p

Absolutely sure it is Al? Maybe they used stainless? It wouldn't handle heat as well, but it wouldn't break down with the Cu either.

Its AI for sure. Stainless is not as white, bitch to machine and does not leave marks like that after machining. Plus given the cost and its properties would not work well @ all.

It's certainly not stainless steel. Not only is steel about as thermally conductive as a rock, but it's expensive and horrendously cathodic. Place stainless steel in a loop for a month, and I'd be willing to bet that all copper and aluminum components would be damaged beyond all recognition.

It's aluminum, and it's pointless. I don't see any reason why one could not use two entirely separate blocks, made from copper and plastic, for the same end cost and weight as this aluminum-copper abomination.

The justification is that copper is "ugly". What's uglier than corrosion of a water block?

Oh, and I'll also like to note that the full-cover Danger Den block is more or less complete, and was shown at the NVIDIA event, and looks to be entirely copper and acetal (save misc. hardware).

Why you guys bashing it so badly? :confused:

I mean I'm sure it's a lot better than the stock, and plus it's probably a lot quieter also!

Maybe it's just a prototype and it'll be fully machined in copper later?

I think it looks pretty cool, but I'd rather have a rectangle rather than the whole wavey look.

I haven't put any aluminum in my PC watercooling loop, but it happens to be in the cooling loops of both my cars, along some copper and steel. I don't see any corrosion in the engine components. Seriously, doesn't anti-freeze seriously inhibit corrosion?

Jonsey said:
Seriously, doesn't anti-freeze seriously inhibit corrosion?
Corrosion inhibitors reduce galvanic corrosion; they do not fully prohibit its destructive nature. The cooling system of your car is also very different from that of a water cooling loop in that the electrolytic connection between components in the latter is constant, not to mention that the mix of anti-freeze/water in your car's cooling system is probably about 50/50, while the typical mix in a PC loop would have one part anti-freeze per 15 to 20 parts water.

chanchan said:
Maybe it's just a prototype and it'll be fully machined in copper later?
Great effort goes into a piece of hardware like this. It may be a prototype, but it's most certainly very close to being final. If you wanted to a full-scale prototype for fitment, you'd do the entire thing with one cheap, easy to machine material, and that's aluminum.

Back