G70 - 430MHz core, 1400MHz memory, 24 pipes

HighTest said:
The real question is that it may be the fastest even with the R520 out. Someone posted that the R520 was doing 10K in 3dmark05, where as a European site is claiming 22K in SLI mode with two 7800GTX's. Since SLI is at best 1.8 faster than a single card, you can see that if this is true a 7800GTX will be faster than 10K.

Lets not forget that the 7800GTX will be at least 50% faster than a 6800 Ultra (twice as fast as a 6800GT is "advertised"). The 6800Ultra scores around 6000K points, the new GTX (with 50%+ performance) ends up at 9000K points and I´m sure you can overclock and optimize that baby easielly to 10K and more. No, the 7800GTX doesn´t have to hide behind a R520 with 24pipes, thats for sure. :p

The Inq would be ten times better without Fuad Abazovic. "Nvidia G70 becomes Geforce 7800 GFX". He repeatedly calls it the GFX instead of GTX through the entire article. :mad:

Ugly_Jim said:
The Inq would be ten times better without Fuad Abazovic. "Nvidia G70 becomes Geforce 7800 GFX". He repeatedly calls it the GFX instead of GTX through the entire article. :mad:

I agree. Until nVidia's release party, I won't worry about the specs. I'll wait and see. R520 looks like it will take too long to come out, before I look to upgrade again.

those are some nice specs and all but id rather eat dirty toenails then pay 800 for a video card.
:eek:

i think both the cards are goin to perform very well....and like most ppl...they cant wait!...so theyre probably goin to the g70...thats wut im doing

do you guys think that we will need a new motherboard in order to do sli with these cards? I just bought an asus a8n sli deluxe motherboard in hopes to do sli with new cards, but ive been hearing that you will need identical cards in order to do this. I know ati is making the crossfire enabled motherboard in which you can use 2 different cards together, but will this be possible with current sli technology (7800 paired up with a 6800 U)?

JadeDM said:
do you guys think that we will need a new motherboard in order to do sli with these cards? I just bought an asus a8n sli deluxe motherboard in hopes to do sli with new cards, but ive been hearing that you will need identical cards in order to do this. I know ati is making the crossfire enabled motherboard in which you can use 2 different cards together, but will this be possible with current sli technology (7800 paired up with a 6800 U)?

no..

"7800GFX" -> I shiver at the thought of Nvidia putting the letters "FX" into the name of another one of their video cards.

Anyways, I am somewhat concerned about hearing that the 7800 will only have a 430Mhz core clock. I thought that I heard that the clock would be raised to 450Mhz. 430Mhz only gives the 7800GFX a fillrate of 10.3Gp/s which is less than 20% above the X850XTPE which is at 8.6Gp/s.

At this point I'm really hoping that Nvidia made some modifications to their architecture (like AMD did with their K8 chips) that will overcome a low clock frequency. Perhaps using shorter pipelines could make up for the 7800's lack of horsepower.

It still gets owned by the X800XT PE in almost everything but DOOM3; most likely due to the X800XT PE's higher frequency.

GVX said:
It still gets owned by the X800XT PE in almost everything but DOOM3; most likely due to the X800XT PE's higher frequency.

Owned? No. Bested? Yes, but not by much considering the very large clock speed difference.

So is the G70 thats gonna launch be their High-End card or do we gotta wait for a ULTRA type card, I mean id hate to buy wo of these puppys only to find out that a month later Nvidia is gonna release a Faster card.

Dr. X said:
Owned? No. Bested? Yes, but not by much considering the very large clock speed difference.

I don't get it. Just when I thought this debate was settled (at least for CPUs), it gets transferred over here. Why is clock speed an issue? Screw work per clock, I'm interested in just work. You guys always need to bring it up as though it shows a deficiency in ATI's design. Well sure Nvidia put out a decent card, but it's disappointing that they're utterly devoid of the capability to scale their clock speeds up to a decent level. See how that works? :rolleyes:

Back