G5 power light (LED?)

ambientZ

[H]ard|Gawd
Is the power light on G5's a white LED? it looks like it flickers to me like a small flourescent. Vitally important information i know :)

Yep. It's a whitish blue color that slowly pulses on to off and back on.

I've never seen a PC that actually sleeps the way my G5 does. Some fan is always running somewhere, with it's noise intact.

vanquished said:
It's this magic detailing that keeps me wanting Macs
its not magic....just the fact that someone actually thought before they designed a compy.

Selecter said:
Yep. It's a whitish blue color that slowly pulses on to off and back on.

I've never seen a PC that actually sleeps the way my G5 does. Some fan is always running somewhere, with it's noise intact.

Mine sleeps without the fans on. Only my PSU fan keeps going and its silent. i want a Mac so bad though. Crazy pulsing leds make me want one.

I am waiting for somebody to get the Mac mini and mod the LED with a BBBBLLLLLUUUUUUEEEEE one :D

Back to the flickering... What does it flicker? It flickers faily quickly, to where you only notice it when you are moving. Does it have something to do with the way they cause it to pulse? Maybe each time it flickers on it is a slightly different voltage than before.

if a LED could breathe like a sleeping person, it would be the power LED on a sleeping G5.

it just slowly goes from bright to dim and bright again slowly, just like a persons lungs.

asyork said:
Back to the flickering... What does it flicker? It flickers faily quickly, to where you only notice it when you are moving. Does it have something to do with the way they cause it to pulse? Maybe each time it flickers on it is a slightly different voltage than before.

If it's LED my theory was they were using pwm to control the brightness, but it looks like it flickers even @ full brightness. Car taillights that use LED flicker when they are dim, not full, so im not sure. Thats why i theorized it might be some kind of flourescent.

ive noticed the flicker on the g5 at work before. i think it is just a trick our eyes are playing on us. i think it has to do with the brightness and small size and some "flare" due to the surrounding aluminum. i think if you pulled it out and looked at it from another angle, it wouldnt flicker.

I only notice the flicker when I am moving or when my PB is moving, so I think it is really flickering.

Back