G4 TV is Going Esquire Metrosexual

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Once a haven of nerds, geeks and hardcore gamers, G4 is being rebranded as the Esquire Channel aiming at a metrosexual audience. Gaming reviews will now be replaced with cooking, fashion and travel.

Earlier this fall, his team canceled the network's Attack of the Show! and X-Play, a move that followed press reports of the net's desire to include more than simply geek TV.

It's not like they couldn't make a similar show and just put it up on Youtube. TV is outdated anyway.

So they turned the tech channel I used to love into G4 and now are turning G4 into something I'd never watch again. So now that channel really truly is dead.

I figured by 2013 there would be more channels dedicated to gaming coverage, news, and tourneys not less.. or rather now none..

Thats even worse then what happened to MTV

Amen. MTV was great in the 80's and early to mid 90's (MTV2 helped bring back some music). Now, it's all bullshit reality TV and shitty shows. Haven't watched anything since.... mid 90's.

Although I haven't watched G4 in a while, it's sad to see it fall to the whole 'stupid people' status. TLC, History, Discovery, etc. have all gone that way with stupid ass reality shows with zero bearing on the original reason for the channel. Learning? Honey Boo Boo? I've learned that most people in the USA are mindless idiots. At least I done learned somethin'.

G4. RIP.

Never watched G4 for more than a minute ever since they changed it from techTV.

I really liked TechTV and somewhat watched G4 for the two shows they already cancelled. Now that we live an a world of Metrosexuals I no longer fit. Am I getting old? Guess so... Our new windows run great but looks like shit, SciFi channel, as my wife puts it, has gone to SyFy - Horror movies for Lifetime.. Why can't we get a good geek channel, plus a show channel with something I can watch, like Doctor Who, on? Now my TV world is BBC America, and believe me that is Metrosexual!

First thing that popped in my head was Chief Reilly's line

"What in the sweet chocolate Christ is a metrosexual? "

I really can't see this going anywhere. Now they're just competing with 20,000 other channels. It doesn't really matter anyway because it's not like anyone watched G4 anyway. People who like tech have this thing called high speed internet.

I've learned that most people in the USA are mindless idiots. At least I done learned somethin'.

If you're talking about the percentage of the populace gullible enough to still be gifting significant amounts of their money to the cable companies, well then yeah...

How could you be Metrosexual staring at this?

esquire_november_cover_a_p.jpg

esquire_november_cover_a_p.jpg

Besides the fact I'd eat the corn from her shit.

It doesn't change the fact that a once fun station is now dead.

Metrosexual men can have their murses, and their gay triple layered
pop up collar lives.

Good geek TV is on Roku and Podcasts.

I'm sure it will keep some geek content too, like news on the latest stylish iPad case covers and coffee cup iPhone chargers.

Could give a rats ass.

It's about time G4 flopped on it's ass.

TechTV for life. It's both funny and sad how many 20 year olds missed the ZD/TechTV boat and regard G4 as being the shit.

I have cut the cord for years now. But if the ORIGINAL TechTV programming ever returned, I'd be throwing money at the TV every month for a full cable package in order to get that shit back.

So they're just going to go around filming dude's having sex on trains?

TechTV died a long time ago. G4 quickly became irrelevant, I don't know why people continue to cling to it.

Attack of the Show could run without Kevin. I don't even have the channel.....

Someone doesn't know what metrosexual means.

Metrosexual doesn't mean you're a homo, then you'd be homosexual.

Metrosexual means that you're a straight guy that has adopted stereotypical gay-male and/or effeminate culture.

Basically, Justin Bieber is a metrosexual. Gets manicures, spends hours on his fluffy haircut, curls his eyelashes, dresses in girl pants, and who knows what else... but he surely still porks whatever female groupie he wants.

uhhh.. aren't there A LOT more people in the world that identify themselves as gamers in the world then men who identify themselves as metrosexuals??

*notice I said PEOPLE - gamers can be men or women. Metrosexuals however...

I remember watching ZDTV before it became TechTV. I stopped watching just after they merged with G4. It was my source for Tech news before I discovered all of the multiple tech sites that I know of today. I still remember when Patrick took the sledgehammer to the stool in their old studio in the basement :D. I even attended one of their "LAN parties" for Battlefield 1942.

So we are losing Morgan Web so that they can broadcast metros cooking souffle and talking about ties and cuflinks?

MADNESS!!!

The latest owners of this channel have slowly destroyed it over time. In a year, I predict it won't even exist an more.

Man, back in the day when it was TechTV with Leo, Pat and gang (and when building computers was still fun and different), I really looked forward to their programming.

I'll never forget the night Leo dropped the "S" bomb. They were reviewing Windows Me and he said "There's a lot of bad Shit going on in Windows Me" LOL

Besides the fact I'd eat the corn from her shit.

It doesn't change the fact that a once fun station is now dead.

Metrosexual men can have their murses, and their gay triple layered
pop up collar lives.

Good geek TV is on Roku and Podcasts.

Damn man..that is gross. No chick is that hot...none...

Someone doesn't know what metrosexual means.

Metrosexual doesn't mean you're a homo, then you'd be homosexual.

Metrosexual means that you're a straight guy that has adopted stereotypical gay-male and/or effeminate culture.

Basically, Justin Bieber is a metrosexual. Gets manicures, spends hours on his fluffy haircut, curls his eyelashes, dresses in girl pants, and who knows what else... but he surely still porks whatever female groupie he wants.

Homosexual isn't a choice, metrosexual however is and should be insulted every given opportunity.

I figured by 2013 there would be more channels dedicated to gaming coverage, news, and tourneys not less.. or rather now none..
With the industry getting larger, one would suspect that to be the case.

I think there's a market. It's just an issue of execution.

G4TV's "haven" status died years ago, roughly around the point that Leo Laporte moved on.

Back