G4 TV.com Battlefield 2142 Spyware Video

The end of the talk about BF2142 really just nails this down.

They're making a half assed mod which probably cost practically nothing to make, they're charging full price for it AND they're getting money from advertisements.

The consumer is taking it up the *** and getting nothing back for it, I'd bet all my next wages that they can't even fix the gameplay bugs and balance issues.

BF2142 takes the piss in almost every concievable way, why people are buying It i'll never understand.

Frosteh said:
The end of the talk about BF2142 really just nails this down.

They're making a half assed mod which probably cost practically nothing to make, they're charging full price for it AND they're getting money from advertisements.

The consumer is taking it up the *** and getting nothing back for it, I'd bet all my next wages that they can't even fix the gameplay bugs and balance issues.

BF2142 takes the piss in almost every concievable way, why people are buying It i'll never understand.

QFT
i couldnt agree more

Well I don't think the hardcore are really buying this, since they understand better what is going on here.

The causal gamer, newbie, unsuspecting, are the buyers.

ALOHA

I believe this sort of advertising should be investment related. If i recieved a monthly check from EA, say they distributed 10% of their in-game ads earnings as a kickback to the players, buying the game would be justified. The players of 2142 act as free labor workers for EA, earning them money while having to buy thier own uniform (the game) and tools (the computer and internet connection). This is wrong on principle.

Actually, I know a guy who is the farthest from a n00b I've yet met (he's dropping $5k on a new computer) and he even preordered 2142 from BB for the weapon unlock. I think they're banking that so many people will already be addicted to BF2's gameplay style that they'll already have a massive userbase in place.

finalgt said:
Actually, I know a guy who is the farthest from a n00b I've yet met (he's dropping $5k on a new computer) and he even preordered 2142 from BB for the weapon unlock. I think they're banking that so many people will already be addicted to BF2's gameplay style that they'll already have a massive userbase in place.
Spending $5k on a computer makes me think he is a noob and doesn't know how to spend his money.

The only thing missing, was none of them mentioned having to remove a Windows security update to make the game run stably.

Well said. I believe that just about everyone would be ok with the individual wrongs if they were just that, individual and not collective. We would be ok with the high price if this wasn’t a mod; we would be ok with the ads if the price were lower; we would be ok with data tracking if there was an opt in/opt out policy; We might even be ok with the spyware if there were a notice on the box and disclosed well before release; We would be ok with all of this if EA didn’t have a habit of screwing the customer.

Well, I’ve decided that it’s time for me to take a stand. Just like last year, I used to be a supporter of Sony until the Root Kit fiasco. Since then I have vowed to never buy another Sony product and I have stuck to it. I’ve now decided to do the same with EA. At some point you just have to stand up and say “no more”.

Farseer said:
Well said. I believe that just about everyone would be ok with the individual wrongs if they were just that, individual and not collective. We would be ok with the high price if this wasn’t a mod; we would be ok with the ads if the price were lower; we would be ok with data tracking if there was an opt in/opt out policy; We might even be ok with the spyware if there were a notice on the box and disclosed well before release; We would be ok with all of this if EA didn’t have a habit of screwing the customer.

Well, I’ve decided that it’s time for me to take a stand. Just like last year, I used to be a supporter of Sony until the Root Kit fiasco. Since then I have vowed to never buy another Sony product and I have stuck to it. I’ve now decided to do the same with EA. At some point you just have to stand up and say “no more”.

THAT was well said! :cool:

Well, this might be very enlightening, but i've no inclination whatsoever to read any more sensationalist "2142 SPYWAER OMGOSH" nonsense.

As for having to remove a windows security update to get it to run - I really don't get this. Since when was Microsoft even semi-effective at making any software of theirs even a challenge to any sort of sensibly-scripted malware or competent attacker? It's barely relevant.

HELLO

Wally said:
Well, this might be very enlightening, but i've no inclination whatsoever to read any more sensationalist "2142 SPYWAER OMGOSH" nonsense.

As for having to remove a windows security update to get it to run - I really don't get this. Since when was Microsoft even semi-effective at making any software of theirs even a challenge to any sort of sensibly-scripted malware or competent attacker? It's barely relevant.

HELLO

OMGOSH someone here is --------> CLUELESS

Oh gee I guess it's ok to exploit 13 year old children around the world, and push ad sales down their throats and warp their perceptions, and just turn them into the next mindless
materialistic generation.

Oh yeah I forgot it's an American company, they can tell the world what their VALUES should be.

How sad some people just don't get what's going on here.

HELLO it's not about the spyware, it's about the EXPLOITATION OF YOUTH AROUND THE WORLD FOR PROFIT!

EA loves their fans, cuz they dont think much therefore they can get away with anything. the perfect strategy!

The point I like that was touched on was don't let it take away from the immersion of the game. A Pepsi advert in a post apocalyptic game is ridiculous. Y'know NFSU and it's Mcdonalds, AXE, DC Shoes ads along with the hundreds of car parts doesn't take away from my game....

I love how one guy was like "ADs like this are going to become essential to fund games.." Well then if their going to become essential, the game should have a reduced price.

dotK said:
Spending $5k on a computer makes me think he is a noob and doesn't know how to spend his money.
Heh, no. He's Level 3 Tech Support at the company I work for. The config is:

2x X1900XTX
Core 2 Duo X6800 Extreme
4GB PC6400 Ballistix
2x 2407FP
Silverstone case
Phase Change
2x 150GB Raptor RAID0
3x 750GB Seagate RAID5

I'll even see if I can take some pictures of his case as he's building it and post it as a worklog here...but trust me, he knows how to spend his money.

DasFox said:
OMGOSH someone here is --------> CLUELESS

Oh gee I guess it's ok to exploit 13 year old children around the world, and push ad sales down their throats and warp their perceptions, and just turn them into the next mindless
materialistic generation.

Oh yeah I forgot it's an American company, they can tell the world what their VALUES should be.

How sad some people just don't get what's going on here.

HELLO it's not about the spyware, it's about the EXPLOITATION OF YOUTH AROUND THE WORLD FOR PROFIT!

Hmm. Having fun there?

dotK said:

Haha, that was my first thought as well.

finalgt said:

2x X1900XTX
Core 2 Duo X6800 Extreme
4GB PC6400 Ballistix
2x 2407FP
Silverstone case
Phase Change
2x 150GB Raptor RAID0
3x 750GB Seagate RAID5

I'll even see if I can take some pictures of his case as he's building it and post it as a worklog here...but trust me, he knows how to spend his money.

Yep, definitely a noob. Only finalgt is a bigger noob.

finalgt said:

2x X1900XTX
Core 2 Duo X6800 Extreme
4GB PC6400 Ballistix
2x 2407FP
Silverstone case
Phase Change
2x 150GB Raptor RAID0
3x 750GB Seagate RAID5

I find it amusing that professionals have levels now, feels like they gotta level up in life now, then if he works with computers and decides to buy something like this with $5k theres no way in hell he could be wasting money. It's like when we get people in here saying:

guy 1:"My computer will hang when playing games blah blah blah.... anyone knows why?"
guy 2:"Please post your computers specs in here 1st"
guy 1:"Hey I'm an IT TECH, see the "I" then the "T". I'm more than anyone on this forum so don't ask me these pathetic questions because I'm an IT TECH!

Remembers me some time ago in the guru3d forums when an IT TECH told someone to install drivers for the BIOS! :eek: He couldn't tell the difference between a BIOS and Chipset.

(eww, 2nd edit in less than 2minutes.... beer + writing = bad.... someone should tell this to some people on holywood)

dotK said:

you know how easy i could drop 5 k on a new computer, and im no noob

just because some one has more money then you doesnt make them a noob
:p

Who the hell cares about this stuff? Under the President's new power you can be called an enemy combatant at his discretion, arrested, sent to a secret prison in a foreign country, tortured, and held for an unlimited amount of time without cause and you're pissed about a fucking video game? Get a clue people.

neeyo said:
Who the hell cares about this stuff? Under the President's new power you can be called an enemy combatant at his discretion, arrested, sent to a secret prison in a foreign country, tortured, and held for an unlimited amount of time without cause and you're pissed about a fucking video game? Get a clue people.

lol...

when people brag about how much their friend/co-worker/relative spent on a PC, i'd just like to ask this:

"so what do you have?"

/off-topic

anyway, i bought the game. didn't open the packaging yet, let alone install it. but i bought it because i wanted to play it. granted, there are those issues of the spyware and the bugs and what have you, but i was interested enough that i wanted to see for myself first-hand. (i haven't had the time to install it, but i'll eventually get around to it...)

as far as the issue about in-game advertising is concerned, IMO the video game industry is moving in a direction towards marketing products in the games, much like how product marketing is now an integral part of the motion picture industry. however, that didn't stop people from watching movies, and i don't think this will deter people from playing video games. i think there will be more and more in-game advertising content, and it will be something that gamers (casual or [H]ardcore) will have to deal with. (as a matter of fact, IMO it's the increasing hardware requirements to play at a relatively satisfactory level that i have a bone to pick with, but i digress...)

i do admit that i'm somewhat wary about the spyware thing and having to uninstall a MS security patch, but i think Wally has a point...

Wally said:
"Since when was Microsoft even semi-effective at making any software of theirs even a challenge to any sort of sensibly-scripted malware or competent attacker?" It's barely relevant.

i disagree w/ the fact that [H]ardcore gamers won't be buying this game. not all, but some will, because they've got the hardware power to do it. gamers are serious about their gaming hardware, and as such they buy it to build a kick-ass rig to play the games, not to for bragging rights or off-the-chart benchmark scores. also, most [H] gamers are savvy enough that they'll find ways around this issue; it's all a matter of time.

anyway, if you like the game, get it and enjoy it; if you don't like it, don't get it. more power to you either way, and you won't be better or worse off... just $40-$50 richer/poorer.

i'll probably get flamed for this (one way or another), but this is just my $0.02.

I dont see how his setup makes him an instant newb?
Care to share your elite enlightenment.
I think the people playing this game are the ones that dled the demo and enjoyed it.
I know I will be buying it.
The only thing I dont like about this is the full price for in reality a mod. I think thats underhanded. HAd it been an entirely new product then I could understand advertisement to cover allot of the cost but this is just stupid.
Whatever I liked the demo.

After playing the beta I really enjoyed playing it. But looking at it as a glorified add-on pack complete with some ads then I don't think I will be buying it.

Might think about it when the price drops waaay down, but knowing EA that won't happen. :rolleyes:

I wont be buying this, as people have said it just seems like a MOD of BF2, played the demo and I wasnt too impressed to go out and spend £30.

As for people saying the guy with the 5K rig is a newb, thats jelousy right there!

neeyo said:

No kidding, talk about a REAL infrigment on my rights and liberties...

neeyo said:

Must be a democrat

wow! this thread went really off topic. Thanks everyone who spoiled it by ranting about 'EA SUXORS' or 'THIS GUY IS A NOOB'...

maybe there should be an area where all the EA haters can go hang out and post about how you shouldnt buy EA games, and an area where people can go and comment about the games they have bought.

This forum board is just so full of people ranting. If you dont want to buy it then dont - simple as that.

I hate spyware, EA's track record of bad bug fixing and exploitation too, but I still bought 2142 and have been having a blast with it. Its not a perfect world, and 2142 isnt perfect either, but its damn good fun, and for those of you would have too much 'pride or whatever' to buy an EA game.. go play something else by some other vendor.

And all those people who moan about it being a MOD.... Well its a pretty decent mod, and people (lots of them too) are having a really good time playing it. So what if its a mod - if you dont think its worth $50 or whatever, then dont pay. But dont complain just because its a mod, as there have been many games released as a mod. (Red Orchestra for example).

So many moaners who havent even played it !

Red Orchestra is 20 bucks US and it was a good game that did add a lot of new things when it went retail. I gave up on EA a long time ago and i would think that this may push even more people away from EA. I would be more worried about what other companys will do in the future like this. At least make it an opion... I just cant see why you would want to sign up for spyware. :confused:

and who knows what else this stuff will do

most EULAs state somewhere that the company holds the right to alter the agreement without your permission or notification. Thus the spyware may initially be just for spamming, but a patch or two later they may alter it to do other things as well. Perhaps scan your system for games, apps, music and movies which it suspects, I repeat, suspects, is copyright violation and report it to the proper people with your IP address and any other ID info.
(legit purchased game you but use a no-cd crack so it thinks you DL it illegally)
(I see Xvid codec! Must be illeagal videos!) (I see audio with no DRM! Must be illegal.)

Technically speaking, if in an EULA is stated that by agreeing you give them the right to install a key logger and collect UN & PW, they can legally do it.

All this EULA, spyware and DRM crap is flushing our rights straight down the toilet. This country and perhaps the world will eventually become a dictatorship. Not run by the governement(s), but by these powerful corporations which even now, are paying our government to do their bidding.

NeghVar said:
and who knows what else this stuff will do

most EULAs state somewhere that the company holds the right to alter the agreement without your permission or notification. Thus the spyware may initially be just for spamming, but a patch or two later they may alter it to do other things as well. Perhaps scan your system for games, apps, music and movies which it suspects, I repeat, suspects, is copyright violation and report it to the proper people with your IP address and any other ID info.
(legit purchased game you but use a no-cd crack so it thinks you DL it illegally)
(I see Xvid codec! Must be illeagal videos!) (I see audio with no DRM! Must be illegal.)

Technically speaking, if in an EULA is stated that by agreeing you give them the right to install a key logger and collect UN & PW, they can legally do it.

All this EULA, spyware and DRM crap is flushing our rights straight down the toilet. This country and perhaps the world will eventually become a dictatorship. Not run by the governement(s), but by these powerful corporations which even now, are paying our government to do their bidding.

You have a point there, patches to modify their spyware to do more shit is a scary thought, its like they plant a harmless seed for now, but later with patches they turn their spyware into anything they want it to do!

Back