G4 powerbook owners: is your case electrocuting you?

kani

n00b
Okay, I don't know if there is something wrong with my Powerbook or not (G4 15", purchased January 2005). But I noticed something (don't ask how I noticed :))

Touch the tip of your tongue to the metal around the trackpad (below the keyboard). Can you feel a tingle, like when you put your tongue across the terminals of a 9V battery? I can :(

I'm not sure whether this is something wrong with my powerbook, or everyone's. I would be interested to hear if anyone else's laptop is doing this. Perhaps someone even has an explanation?

Id be pretty interested in knowing how you found out that touching your tongue to the trackpad gives you a shock. :D

as far as I know, that isn't normal, but I dont have a PB.

While I've not nor do I intend to lick my powerbook, but I do notice a faint tingle when I put my fingers onto the track pad.

Interesting that.

Mines a 12in Pb 1.5ghz

kani said:
Okay, I don't know if there is something wrong with my Powerbook or not (G4 15", purchased January 2005). But I noticed something (don't ask how I noticed :))

Touch the tip of your tongue to the metal around the trackpad (below the keyboard). Can you feel a tingle, like when you put your tongue across the terminals of a 9V battery? I can :(

I'm not sure whether this is something wrong with my powerbook, or everyone's. I would be interested to hear if anyone else's laptop is doing this. Perhaps someone even has an explanation?

WTF

there is going to be an acceptable level of voltage running through the case if you are not properly grounded...if you are using just the power adapter and the extension cord (3 prong) you won't experience this or if you are running off battery...if you just use the duck head (2 prong) with the adater you may experience it

I kinda felt something. How did you end up putting your tounge on it?

Hey, we understand you like your Apple....but its OK....you don't have to bow down and kiss its feet :D

kani said:

ymmm... Powerbooks sure are tasty! Of course it's normal, with all that "power" surging through that supercomputer-in-a-chip G4, some tingling is a necessary feature, NOT a bug! :p

oh yea, definition of electrocution: n. 1) to kill with electricity. 2) to execute with electricity.

cheers,

yass

Grazehell said:
well I had the pleassure of licking my friends Ibook. you guys should use your tongue more!
:eek:
Just.... :eek:

I'd have to say it sounds like something's shorting in the laptop causing it to not be grounded properly. Next dumb question, does it do this "shock your tounge" thing if it's plugged in?

And FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S HOLY WHY IN THE BLUE MONKEY HELL ARE YOU LICKING THE TRACKPAD OF YOUR LAPTOP?!?!?!??!

I didn't lick the trackpad. I put my head down to the metal (unshaven chin), and felt a tingle. The next step was of course to see if I could feel any current via my tongue.

:p

Ok now back to the topic of this thread.

yes,... my mac sometimes shocks me.

what does it matter? should you be putting your tongue to your mac ?

Do not let any anti-mac, PC-Zealots catch wind of this thread, ha ha ha

interesting to know about powerbooks though.

On a related note I receive no tingle from my plastic dell laptop :p

Peace

Back