G34 next chips Abu Dhabi with Piledriver

Zink

Gawd
There are some leaked benchmarks comparing the current AMD Llano 35W laptop APU against the next gen Trinity 35W chip with Piledriver cores. On the CPU side Trinity shows about a 5% increase in floating point and a 39% increase in integer performance. Both are operating at the same TDP with 32nm silicon and the next gen cores are able to operate at higher efficiency. The Trinity chip also has a bigger GPU leaving less TDP for the CPU.

The older Llano part uses four 1.4-2.4GHz Magny generation cores, Abu Dhabi with pile driver should finally bring increased efficiency to 4p G34, breaking 1000ppd/w with 16 core chips.

AMD server roadmap
Leaked Piledriver performance

I shall stand ready to pick up cast off 61xx chips when these show up.

:D

Sounds to me like they have fixed at least some of the BD issues, would be nice if they can get the FPU working at full speed - that way us folders might actually consider using them

sounds interesting, but to correct you its not magny generation cores, they are Istanbul generation cores since the magny cour has 2 6 core Istanbul processors.

though i'll wait for some legit benchmarks. a website that just shows intiger and floating point performance but no actual clock speeds is a bit meh.

Oooh if 61xx series chips get cheap enough... I will have to have a set someday...

sounds interesting, but to correct you its not magny generation cores, they are Istanbul generation cores since the magny cour has 2 6 core Istanbul processors.

though i'll wait for some legit benchmarks. a website that just shows intiger and floating point performance but no actual clock speeds is a bit meh.
I meant that they are both AMD K10.5 (Phenom II) cores though Llano has no L3 cache. Llano is an updated revision that is a few % faster than the slightly older core design in Athlon II depending on the bench.

IIRC Llano was stated by AMD to have 6% faster floating point performance over its K10.5 ancestors.
That would put piledriver @ 11% greater than magny - not an insignificant jump

I meant that they are both AMD K10.5 (Phenom II) cores though Llano has no L3 cache. Llano is an updated revision that is a few % faster than the slightly older core design in Athlon II depending on the bench.

the removal of the L3 cache is what gives it, its performance advantage over the older athlon II's. even though they didn't have L3 cache it was still there on the chip. i was originally going to put that in my post but didn't want to start an argument over the differences. either way AMD needs to hurry the hell up and release piledriver i want a new computer so i can start folding again damnit!

Back