G34 and a pair of 6272's worth it? (cheap more within)

tsubasa hanekawa

Limp Gawd
hello all, having a bit of a hard time deciding on something, im having to chop down my rig collection (basically electric costs too much so i can only run one rig, my parents have just said one system they never said anything about how powerful :p apologies for my slight digression) but they have looked at it and given me the go ahead, the parts im getting cheap, like very cheap, a friend of mine is moving away from the socket and thus im looking at possibly buying it from him, he's asking £140 for a supermicro H8DG6-F, 16gb of ECC ram and 2 opteron 6272's all in that price, which is incredibly cheap, my usage for this will be mostly a few server applications and some game servers perhaps (all in VM's) BUT here's the bit that's having me unsure and it is that it'll be used for a bit of gaming on the side so im unsure because of that, it's looking a good setup but im uncertain, for the price i can't complain but if it is crap at gaming ill probably end up looking at some higher clocked opterons anyways either that or ES ones and a bit of an OC (will be under water by then of course and plenty of VRM cooling) but i just wonder if they'll do well enough for the odd game every now and again with an asus hd 7950 DCU2 (v2 one, not the first revision)

Last edited:
You definitely will be able to play games. Worse case is you might have to turn down some resolution. I suggest that you change to large desktop style CPU coolers and probably add good fans if you put a large video card together in the same case. I'd also put the games on an SSD.

You definitely will be able to play games. Worse case is you might have to turn down some resolution. I suggest that you change to large desktop style CPU coolers and probably add good fans if you put a large video card together in the same case. I'd also put the games on an SSD.

well cooling wise ill either be going with the noctuas or try the CM 212 evo mod (there's a thread on here for that) because if that works it saves me a little over £100 XD i already have an SSD for boot but when i come into some more money an SSD for games is rather possible, at the very worst ill have them on a 7200RPM HDD like i do now (im on sata 2 already so i'll see no performance drop really, or a negligible one if i do) the cooling bit i mention is for the overclocking with the ES ones which i plan on doing eventually will need VRM cooling (the ES ones are the only OCable ones on stock bioses as far as im aware) as for fans i have a pair of SP120's for the coolers spare at the time (they're on my H105 right now but ill be selling that on when i do this) and then some AF120's for the case which will be a phanteks enthoo pro.

The opteron's 6272 are 16core at 2.1 ghz, which should get you into the i7-920 ballpark for performance. So basically you will not really be cpu bound by any games you are running as it will come down to your gpu. I would think that you would be more bound by the 7950 Radeon than the cpu's.

On a side note you are going to suck a lot of juice if you have something taxing both cpu's at 115w each. Also ddr3 ecc ram is wicked cheap on ebay if you need to expand.

Hey on a side note if you could off load that stuff on ebay, you could probably net enough profit to swing a i7 haswell system ;)

The opteron's 6272 are 16core at 2.1 ghz, which should get you into the i7-920 ballpark for performance. So basically you will not really be cpu bound by any games you are running as it will come down to your gpu. I would think that you would be more bound by the 7950 Radeon than the cpu's.

On a side note you are going to suck a lot of juice if you have something taxing both cpu's at 115w each. Also ddr3 ecc ram is wicked cheap on ebay if you need to expand.

well it'll suck allot of power yus but my parents have said one rig which i agreed to so my plan is to just let them know it won't be efficient but it'll draw a fair amount of power by itself, that being said it'll use less power than my dedicated ones which have rather old power hungry P4's so it's not going to be worse :p . and yeah im bound to be bound by my 7950 (sorry for the repetition XD) though if i get a beefy enough PSU ill be looking at getting something nice, probably a 6990 or a 290x with what i get for my other kit (my 8320 and the like, though again none of this will be power efficient but better than all of my servers and my main system together XD)

and yus the plan is to fill it to the brim with cheap ECC ram :p i've heard with this particular board too i can basically throw any ram at it even mixing ECC and non ECC (the person using the kit at the moment is doing the same with no noticeable performance hit :p) which is what ill be doing but since it has 16 slots i could throw 32gb or 64gb at it on the cheap :p

Hey on a side note if you could off load that stuff on ebay, you could probably net enough profit to swing a i7 haswell system ;)

probably but ill need LOTS of cores to do all the server stuff and then run my main rig since i can't have dedicated servers anymore XD the heat output and power use was far too much XD

Dedicated servers? Nonsense, just have one high end rig running Xenserver or ESXi (only done this with Xenserver, your mileage may vary) and pass through your USB controller / video card to a Windows VM. POOF. Now you have a gaming worthy workstation, while having the capacity to run a bunch of server VMs in the background.

(note: this is coming from the "can't run dedicated servers at my parent's house" approach, I probably should have read the rest of the thread....)

Dedicated servers? Nonsense, just have one high end rig running Xenserver or ESXi (only done this with Xenserver, your mileage may vary) and pass through your USB controller / video card to a Windows VM. POOF. Now you have a gaming worthy workstation, while having the capacity to run a bunch of server VMs in the background.

(note: this is coming from the "can't run dedicated servers at my parent's house" approach, I probably should have read the rest of the thread....)

that's the plan :p really have to plan out the software side of things yet but the plan is just to have one rig to do everything XD hence all the cores :p but yeah not much has been mentioned so much in the rest of the thread more just my gaming worries with the lower clockspeed XD

I wouldn't bother...the thing would be way too much of a power pig for the limited performance you'd get out of it.

I wouldn't bother...the thing would be way too much of a power pig for the limited performance you'd get out of it.

whilst power will be a decent chunk it'll be less than the three systems i have now, as long as it can do the same job of the systems i have now (which the number of cores it should be able to do since my servers are old dual core P4's) then im set, as long as it uses less power than the three together then im set, granted yes it will use more power than it really should do for the performance i can't see many other options really

Back