G3258 (Pentium Anniversary) no post in an Asus Z87?

AbRASiON

Limp Gawd
Hi All,

Got 2 PC's - trying to swap CPU's from one to the other.
My G3258 won't work in my Z87M Board, but the Intel i5 4760k, works in both boards.

RAM works in both boards (assuming I'm booting with the CPU which is working in both)
BIOS up to date on both boards.
BIOS reset on offending board (CMOS reset)
I've even booted into Windows and used the official Asus update for Windows which (appeared) to imply it worked differently.

*Note:Before using the new Intel 4th Gen Core processors, we suggest that you first update the BIOS using USB BIOS flashback, or download the BIOS updater for new Intel 4th Gen Core Processors and then update the BIOS using it.

No bent pins, can swap CPU's back and forth all day, the only common factor is the G3258 won't work in the older board.
Asus lists it as compatible.
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/...=45&m=Z87M-PLUS&os=&hashedid=UjihzQKhBmQmiVsY

Found someone else with the same issue too.
http://www.progtown.com/topic1931584-asus-z87mplus-does-not-work-with-pentium-g3258.html

Anyone else seen this?

I had to snag a cheap Celeron to use to flash the BIOS on my Maximus VI Impact before it would recognize the G3258. After that, I got a blank screen on first boot with the new CPU. I reset the BIOS with the new CPU in place and it didn't work, so I swapped the Celeron back in, reset the BIOS with that CPU installed, then it came around with the Pentium. I'm not sure why it would make a difference, though it is also not the first time I've had an ASUS motherboard with a flaky BIOS.

When you have an add-in video card installed, does it begin any of the POST routine? The only other question I can think to ask off the top of my head is do you get the standard beep error if you try to boot with no memory modules installed? At least it might track down how far through POST things are progressing.

That's an interesting one, god damn................ thanks dude - yeah, didn't think of nuking the bios with a valid CPU in - I spose, ... it might just work?
I don't have a PC speaker plugged in - but I'll give it a shot.

That's an interesting one, god damn................ thanks dude - yeah, didn't think of nuking the bios with a valid CPU in - I spose, ... it might just work?

You most likely just need a bios update.

I don't mean to be an ass but that's been made clear in the opening post and I've been told that on every forum I've posted on. It's not only the latest BIOS, I've flashed it once from the BIOS itself and once from within Windows.

I'm honestly not sure if it had any impact one way or the other, since I never leveled up my computer engineering skill that high. :D I figured it couldn't hurt to try seeing as how I didn't have anything to lose. I literally just went through the series of steps you did, then said, "what the hell" and it worked out in the end...

I had to snag a cheap Celeron to use to flash the BIOS on my Maximus VI Impact before it would recognize the G3258. After that, I got a blank screen on first boot with the new CPU. I reset the BIOS with the new CPU in place and it didn't work, so I swapped the Celeron back in, reset the BIOS with that CPU installed, then it came around with the Pentium. I'm not sure why it would make a difference, though it is also not the first time I've had an ASUS motherboard with a flaky BIOS.

When you have an add-in video card installed, does it begin any of the POST routine? The only other question I can think to ask off the top of my head is do you get the standard beep error if you try to boot with no memory modules installed? At least it might track down how far through POST things are progressing.

Interestingly no beeps with no ram inserted into the board :/
I'm going to (sigh) pull apart my HTPC one last time, put the Intel 4760k in there, reset the bios using that. If it doesn't work then fuck this, I'll RMA the board, regardless if it works with other chips. I'd prefer a mini-itx for my needs anyhow, might get a store credit.

I had a similar issue with a gigabyte z87 board. BIOS flash w/older CPU fixed it, had to flash twice.

I flashed twice, with an older CPU - no joy :/ I've booked it in for an RMA, my time is worth more than this and the store in Australia has a pretty good reputation for good service.

4+ hours, fucking PC's... seriously. (Also pulling apart a SUGO SG08 for parts testing sucks)

I hear you, I have my setup in a Silverstone HTPC case with a Noctua cooler.. not fun. Once you get it up and running though, you'll grow some attachment to the processor.. so cheap and yet so capable. Its been a great placeholder while I wait for Broadwell in my gaming PC, and on HTPC duty I honestly couldn't ask for more.

Nah see I was selling it anyhow, I loved it in my HTPC (for the money) but I sell a computer or two a year and found a chance to get myself a "free" 4760k upgrade for the HTPC, as long as this chip worked in the Z87.

I'm getting a board RMA tomorrow, hopefully a credit, I'll replace it with another H97I if I can, I'm very impressed with that board.

For my own, personal desktop, (which I've decommissioned to sell) I'm waiting for Skylake, with M.2 and some decent PCI-e lanes.

Nice, I won't be waiting for skylake - I doubt the performance will be more than 10% improvement and DDR4 is a push..and just awful expensive. I'm sure it'll clock just as well as Broadwell anyways, so for my purposes (gaming) I'll really notice nothing.

Back