G31 mobo for easy OC

ICE_9

2[H]4U
Anyone use the ECS G31T-M with a Quad doing the BSEL mod? Easy OC and sturdy board?

ECS and sturdy are not exactly two things that go in the same sentence most times. There are a few exceptions here and there like with some of the old K7S5As. I had one of those folding for years and my mom still has one running in her system which is still going strong. However, I generally avoid them as the initial money saved will normally be eaten up later on by something going wrong with the board. I prefer to spend a bit more on a better brand for peace of mind.

I've got a buddy that got a 945 chipset ECS board for free with his E2200 from a fry's combo. He HATES the board and its lack of features, but the price was right and he hasn't had any issues for stability. He does want to get into a P35 board though at some point.

There are some nice deals on open box mobos at newegg. Some of the P35 boards are $40 :eek:

Kendrak, look for IP35-E on Ebay and you will find a lot for 26$ + shipping ;)

No need to say that I bid on 2 :D

I prefer the onboard graphics. Just my thing. I know it doesn't allow for a better overclock, but I haven't had real luck at OC too often.

A while back when I posted about the BSEL mod with tape (still can't believe it's that easy) I read a thread where the guy had one of the ECS G31's and it took the mod fine.

That said I keep saying I won't buy another ECS, and like a drunk, keep on buying them. Mainly because I get the combo's at Fry's or Newegg when the combo price is less than the best deal I can get on the CPU alone.

The last three ECS's I've bought have been stable but absolutely no OC. As soon as one gives me problem's I'll replace it with a $50 m/b.

By the way - Fry's has the Q6600 for $189 B&M, time for an upgrade!!

Back