G3 Laptops

nonsequitur

[H]ard|Gawd
i'm considering picking up a second hand G3 powerbook for a mobile solution.

but i've never owned a mac.

more than likely, i'll be formating whatever mac os is on it and run a flava of linux. i'm comfortable with the notion of utilizing older hardware to run *nix. i have a old compaq desktop with suse on it now.

i'm aware of what's what in the intel world. i'm also considering second hand IBM 600E's as well.

any previous G3 powerbook owners have options to share on the various wallstreet, pismo, lombard versions of the powerbook?

I have a 366mhz Bronze keyboard laptop and I hate it.

I would try to get an older G4 TiBook if I were you, but you might not notice the speed differences as much since you will be running Linux (I'm running OS 10.1).

On that note, want to buy a Bronze keyboard edition G3?

:)

Originally posted by Rocketpig
I have a 366mhz Bronze keyboard laptop and I hate it.

I would try to get an older G4 TiBook if I were you, but you might not notice the speed differences as much since you will be running Linux (I'm running OS 10.1).

On that note, want to buy a Bronze keyboard edition G3?

:)

That Lombard was a great lappy. I miss mine often... You need to get a real OS on there. Upgrade top jaguar or panther, it'll make a BIG difference (RAM too).

How much you want for it?

Dunno... It's actually my work computer so I'll have to check with the accountant.

But I'm completely serious about selling it. I imagine they would want somewhere in the 350 dollar range for it.

I'm a graphic designer so I really need something more powerful than this Powerbook.

thanks for the quick replies!

those arstechnica articles were a big help. i'm going to take my time and see what pops up on ebay.

i'd love one of those G4 Ti notebooks, but those are out of my price range (for now) maybe i'll be patient and see what W. puts in my tax return this year. it might give me enough of a bump!

something no one else may care about.....

one of the ars articles mentions lee corso's infamous run in with lightning at a football game. i was at that game..... oy!

I'm running gentoo on a G3 400mhz with the firewire (airport upgradeable) It runs quite nicely. I'm trying to upgrade it to OS 10.3 so my buddy can have a laptop at home. I really like this laptop. Although I already have a G4 550 for my work laptop, and an iMac at home as well.

If you go with the PowerBook G3, try to get a Pismo, which were the last versions and included Firewire. They are built like tanks and their displays are stunningly brilliant. Also, if you want more horsepower, seriously consider a used G3 iBook, like in the 500 - 600 Mhz range. The price will be about the same, and you'll get a noticable speed difference with a screen that's just as good.

well the G3 ibooks are going for a bit more than $350...try $500-600 for a 500-600Mhz Snow ibook....I am considering selling mine and upgrading since I now have a little money :D I have a thread around here talking about it

I've always wondered about having a laptop with a bronze keyboard, sounds awefully heavy and unportable to me ;).

well look at it this way...if they keyboard breaks just braze the pieces back together :D

this would be true but you must be careful and remove the keyboard beforehand or it could end up looking like this :eek::
1073288436itYMEvpQaQ_1_2_l.jpg

Actually that was from a battery explosion but you get the idea.

Originally posted by Instigator
this would be true but you must be careful and remove the keyboard beforehand or it could end up looking like this :eek::
1073288436itYMEvpQaQ_1_2_l.jpg

Actually that was from a battery explosion but you get the idea.

That was also a Compaq... and people wonder why I won't touch those.

Compaqs are great...if you're a technician, I make lots of money repairing them, so please folks buy lots of Compaqs :D.

Back