G1 Questions

smaug8821

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi guys, I'm thinking about picking up a G1 when I get my tax return. I really want a 3G phone, but my contract with T-Mobile isn't up for a year, and I don't really feel like paying the ETF at this point. Anyways, I had a few questions before I take the plunge.

1. Are there any really good IM clients for Android? I use BeeJive right now for my BB, and it's great because it combines all of my IM accounts(I have 5 spread across 4 clients). Is there anything like this for Android?

2. I know there is no real Exchange support, but has anyone come up with a way to have e-mails sent to the phone? Could the browser handle going into Outlook Web Access?

EDIT: 3. Are there any decent podcatching apps? I really don't mind downloading podcasts manually and putting them on the phone, but this would make my life a little easier.

I actually thought I had more questions than this in my head, but then I forgot them(I'm at work). I'll update this post later if I come up with them again. Thank you :)

For exchange, I use TouchDown. You gotta pay for it, but it pulls all of my corporate stuff. As for podcasting/IM, can't really help you as I only use the built in IM client for Google Talk and removed all the others (my G1's rooted).

For exchange, I use TouchDown. You gotta pay for it, but it pulls all of my corporate stuff. As for podcasting/IM, can't really help you as I only use the built in IM client for Google Talk and removed all the others (my G1's rooted).

I don't mind paying for an app. I use OWA to pull info to my BB at the moment. Does this program work in a similar fashion?

The IM app thing I'm not real worried about at this point, I assume BeeJive or another major player will come up with something relatively soon, now that the Android store is taking paid apps.

And thanks for replying, I was getting worried no one had solutions to my problems. ;)

for IM, there's Meebo IM

Paid apps are appearing rapidly in the Android store and from what i can tell, it's just gonna get better

for IM, there's Meebo IM

Paid apps are appearing rapidly in the Android store and from what i can tell, it's just gonna get better

I read a review on Meebo that said it wasn't that great. Judging by the video they showed of it, I'll wait for something else. But like you said, it shouldn't be that much longer before something pops up.

For exchange, I use TouchDown. You gotta pay for it, but it pulls all of my corporate stuff.

One of our sales guys is the only one at the office with a G1 and until I saw this post earlier today we were all under the impression that exchange was still not doable on the G1. I got the free version of TouchDown on his G1, and have been trying to set it up on and off throughout the day, but no known settings have worked so far. Is there any trick to setting it up?

One of our sales guys is the only one at the office with a G1 and until I saw this post earlier today we were all under the impression that exchange was still not doable on the G1. I got the free version of TouchDown on his G1, and have been trying to set it up on and off throughout the day, but no known settings have worked so far. Is there any trick to setting it up?

I was wondering this as well.

If you use exchange 2003, make sure you check 2003 compatibility. For myself, I use 2003, as well as my OWA address, combined with my corp username/email address. All in all, you're looking at 5 minutes to set it up and start syncing.

I'll also let you know that any existing items in your mail box WILL NOT download via the program. The only email coming in are those that are received after it's set up. They're still working on true push access and all that jazz, but all in all it work pretty flawless even with the polling of data every 60 minutes.

If you use exchange 2003, make sure you check 2003 compatibility. For myself, I use 2003, as well as my OWA address, combined with my corp username/email address. All in all, you're looking at 5 minutes to set it up and start syncing.

I'll also let you know that any existing items in your mail box WILL NOT download via the program. The only email coming in are those that are received after it's set up. They're still working on true push access and all that jazz, but all in all it work pretty flawless even with the polling of data every 60 minutes.

We use 2007. It's not really necessary for me to have access to all of my work e-mails. I just spend a lot of time on the train, and at school, and my boss appreciates the fact that I can respond to questions and whatnot on the road. Speeds a lot of things up.

Hopefully it won't be too hard to set up. I actually ordered the phone on Ebay Friday morning, so I'll have it next week :)

is it really 1 year? If you signed after june 2008 it is only $50 to break your contract. I just called on mine yesterday to check this too.

is it really 1 year? If you signed after june 2008 it is only $50 to break your contract. I just called on mine yesterday to check this too.

I signed in May 2008 :\

On a side note, my ultra-nerdiness kicked in, and I can't wait for the one I ordered on Ebay to get here, so I'm meeting someone tonight after work that is selling one on Craigslist. I'll just sell the one I bought on Ebay when it gets here.

Also, I found a podcatcher called DoggCatcher. I obviously haven't had a chance to use it yet, so I don't know how good it is, but it seems pretty straightforward.

Well, I got the G1 tonight from someone on Craigslist. It had RC33 on it already, which was a plus. I got Touchdown installed and it seems to be working great. I'll probably upgrade to the full version here before i go to bed.

well not to start anything with those who love their phone, but i just got mine today and i think the keyboard is terrible, and complete unreadable in the dark...or at least very hard. I wanted to play around with it because i thought it would be better than my iphone for messages..but i dont really thing so, funny i would have thought the keyboard was better..maybe i have just gotten used to the virtual keypad.

well not to start anything with those who love their phone, but i just got mine today and i think the keyboard is terrible, and complete unreadable in the dark...or at least very hard. I wanted to play around with it because i thought it would be better than my iphone for messages..but i dont really thing so, funny i would have thought the keyboard was better..maybe i have just gotten used to the virtual keypad.

I'll agree that the keyboard is a little rough. I'm having a really hard time trying to work around the right side of the device when using the keyboard. I think with some practice I'll get it, but it's frustrating right now.

I do LOVE the message system though, but I also come from a BB, where the SMS system is notoriously bad compared to other phones.

well for me the backlight issue is really the problem...i basically find it unusable in the dark or dimly lit room. I actually put my sim back in my iphone.

well for me the backlight issue is really the problem...i basically find it unusable in the dark or dimly lit room. I actually put my sim back in my iphone.

Maybe there is something wrong with the phone you got. I have absolutely no trouble seeing the keys in the dark once the backlight comes on.

The Black ones don't have an issue with the key lighting, but the bronze and white ones do.

For Aim you can use Hello Aim! which is $9.99 but there is another app on the android market which is called Hi Aim! thats for free. Meebo has improved their app and now it doesn't disconnect as often, but it doesn't include many standard features such as away messages and such.

For Yahoo, there is also Hello Yahoo! which cost about $7.99 I believe, but give it more time, there will be free applications that do it all.

as for MSN, I use Meebo, like I said it doesn't disconnect as often anymore, which is why I use it.

The Black ones don't have an issue with the key lighting, but the bronze and white ones do.

For Aim you can use Hello Aim! which is $9.99 but there is another app on the android market which is called Hi Aim! thats for free. Meebo has improved their app and now it doesn't disconnect as often, but it doesn't include many standard features such as away messages and such.

For Yahoo, there is also Hello Yahoo! which cost about $7.99 I believe, but give it more time, there will be free applications that do it all.

as for MSN, I use Meebo, like I said it doesn't disconnect as often anymore, which is why I use it.

I'm just going to wait for Beejive, or someone to make a program similar to it. No point in paying for 3 applications that only do part of what I want.

Back