G-sync vs Freesync – what are your plans?

G-sync vs Freesync – what are your plans?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's been a while since either side has come up with a compelling feature that impacted my purchasing decision.

Neither of these is something I care about.

I want more hz. The higher the better. The rest is gravy that I'll take if its free. But I won't go paying extra for LB/Gsync/Freesync.

But, if a freesync/gsync monitor ends up having a higher refresh rate then I currently have I'll probably buy it.

It's been a while since either side has come up with a compelling feature that impacted my purchasing decision.

Neither of these is something I care about.
Personally I feel that's kind of short sighted. Eliminating tearing and input lag and delivering smooth frame rates even at lower frame rates is a huge deal.

I honestly never notice any of that stuff when I am gaming, I also don't notice frame stuttering very often.

I just like to play games, I get lost in playing, not how the screen looks, unless something is really off it's pretty unlikely I am going to notice.

Thank god I have pretty much the opposite of OCD, saves me money and saves me stress.

I honestly never notice any of that stuff when I am gaming, I also don't notice frame stuttering very often.

I just like to play games, I get lost in playing, not how the screen looks, unless something is really off it's pretty unlikely I am going to notice.

Thank god I have pretty much the opposite of OCD, saves me money and saves me stress.

I've lent 120hz LCD's to a couple of people. After 1-2hours @120hz I'd get them to go back to 60hz. Their reactions were pretty much "this isn't 60hz what did you do to my 60hz" lol.

Then they proceeded to purchase 120hz+ lcd's. (Well one of them just didn't give me back my LCD)

I'll probably be sticking it out for another couple of years with an IPS 60hz monitor. I do have a 24" HP monitor that might need replacing soon, so I might go for one of the 144hz sans-Gsync monitors

I'll probably be sticking it out for another couple of years with an IPS 60hz monitor. I do have a 24" HP monitor that might need replacing soon, so I might go for one of the 144hz sans-Gsync monitors

Pretty much what I do now,

Relaxing puzzle/rpg games I play on IPS@100hz. Insanely blurry image, but they are non fast paced games.

Anything Racing/FPS ends up on the 144hz LCD.

Has any new info come out about this? I am in the verge of buying a Korean 27 IPS....

pretty sure im staying with what i got till it dies or till i get the itch to upgrade.

I just upgraded to a X-star 27" which OC's to 133hz. I'm fine for quite awhile.

It's impossible to read on my 1440p overclocked IPS.

Impossible to read on 144hz TN

Fully readable on 120hz LB.

So G-Sync which includes variable frequency LightBoost should be pretty good at this test.

Just ordered VG248QE, so I didn't do what I selected.

But I have $260 now so I'll game @ 144 until I can afford g-sync (hopefully price comes down later in the year).

There should be an option for just plain old "none." ;) I'm going to just stick with my tubes until they die or something good can actually replace them. I would like to see either FreeSync or GSync in action though.

Freesync isn't even a blip on the radar it's so far out, so no real point even talking about it.

I would like to see either FreeSync or GSync in action though.
Same. It kind of sucks that it's so testimonial-based right now. NVIDIA should really consider doing some kind of G-Sync tour bus-type thing so people can really get a look at it before they take the plunge on a new display (or, worse, on gutting up their existing display).

Same. It kind of sucks that it's so testimonial-based right now. NVIDIA should really consider doing some kind of G-Sync tour bus-type thing so people can really get a look at it before they take the plunge on a new display (or, worse, on gutting up their existing display).

For those of us who could have only dreamed that someone might actually fix these issues- the only testimony needed was 'it works'. We were already hooked by 'V-Sync without input lag or stuttering'.

The technically affluent can understand what non-isochronous updates means for them, but the less affluent may not fully understand the implications without actually doing a side-by-side comparison.

I like to think that I know what it's going to look like, but having never seen anything like it, it's really hard to get a sense of the value proposition of it.

Not going to spend $500 for a 24" 1080p or $800 for a 27" 1440p monitor. Especially with TN panels.

I'm quite happy with the Korean monitors, once you realize they're going to have imperfections and quirks.

So I don't really care what Gysnc has to offer and would like to grab a 290 but yeah lol....

TN=NT (No Thanks).

Wake me up in 2015 or so when and if this integrates with quality panel technology. Which seems to be a pretty common sentiment, no?

TN=NT (No Thanks).

Wake me up in 2015 or so when and if this integrates with quality panel technology. Which seems to be a pretty common sentiment, no?

Precisely. Put this on a quality IPS panel and they will have my attention.

Precisely. Put this on a quality IPS panel and they will have my attention.

Overloard is working with NV on bringing a G-Sync board to their Tempest IPS screens.

Tempest Admin Scribby said:
So here is where GSYNC for Tempests stand: in queue.

Since Nvidia handles all the board design for all the OEMs on the planet, for any and all panels they request, Nvidia is a bit overwhelmed at the moment. I was told yesterday that Nvidia only has so much "bandwidth" (person hours) for GSYNC design and those engineers are working their tails off trying to get all the boards done as soon as possible.

What does this mean for our requested panel design? We are not in process yet, but their engineers want to get ours out. However, the larger OEMs are first to be served, which makes sense since Overlord is very small compared to all the others. For now it seems only TN-related panels are being designed.

It is good news that Nvidia's engineers want to tackle our panel and OC PCBs - it is somewhat bad news that there isn't enough hours in the day to get everything done! I was told our panel will be designed, but not when. There also seems to be some discussion as to what extent the overclock on the panel would be set and how that all would work. That discussion is for a later time once the engineers take a look at our gerbers and decide how to best tackle GSYNC and our panel.

Overall, this means once the design is complete we would offer the same deal going for the ASUS 248 panel (and others that will be coming in the next 6 months with GSYNC) - a pre-done panel with GSYNC, a mod service, and a kit (that is the plan at this moment). Of course, all of this can change at any time since we are at the mercy of Nvidia and their schedule.

Buying. All you have to do is maintain 30fps or better and the benefit is obvious. Frankly I hate screen tearing but I also hate input latency. I've been waiting for what feels like decades for a technology to come along and swiftly deal with this problem. Now that technology is here , its in rough form but it works.

I'll stick with my 27" 110Hz IPS :)

Gsync/Freesync, while it sounds nice, isn't even on my radar as a 'must have'... especially considering the drawbacks. I have no desire to buy yet another monitor (let alone a TN panel). If it was just a setting that you could enable on current hardware, I'd use it, but I don't want to buy new hardware, let alone be locked into a certain hardware vendor to keep using it. For that reason alone, I don't think it will get much traction honestly.

Plus one to that...maybe something cheaper will come along, whether its NV or AMD, don't care.

The only thing cheaper will be a new spin of G-Sync with an ASIC. FreeSync needs the same level of hardware in a desktop monitor, i.e. a processor with a memory buffer.

I already have a hard enough time pushing my 120Hz monitor which looks great to me. I'll keep it... 'Cause it's free...

Poll fail.

Buying. All you have to do is maintain 30fps or better and the benefit is obvious. Frankly I hate screen tearing but I also hate input latency. I've been waiting for what feels like decades for a technology to come along and swiftly deal with this problem. Now that technology is here , its in rough form but it works.

You're going to love this then. Tearing doesn't bother me all that much. And for whatever reason, it seems my CRT's handle it better than my LCD's ever did, so it's pretty much a non-issue. But for gamers with lower-powered video cards, this tech will help extend the useable life of their cards. Win-win in my book.

will this technology make it into Televisions?

Occulus Rift?

TV's are going to be harder, especially with receivers in the mix, but John Carmack was quoted as saying that he really wants G-Sync into the next version.

Back