G-Sync Monitor or GTX 1080

Balthazar2k4

CoreJizzer For Life
This might seem like a strange question, but I am currently running a GTX 980ti and on the fence as to whether the better investment would be to upgrade to the GTX 1080 or go 1440p G-Sync. Normally I would wait for the 'ti' version of the card, but games like The Division maxed out are really pushing my OC'ed 980ti @1440p. I see frame rates from 45-60fps right now and wonder if G-Sync would alleviate some of the jerkiness I perceive. Thoughts? I can only do one at the moment and am leaning to the monitor simply because I want my 980ti to hold out until the inevitable 1080ti launch.

This might seem like a strange question, but I am currently running a GTX 980ti and on the fence as to whether the better investment would be to upgrade to the GTX 1080 or go 1440p G-Sync. Normally I would wait for the 'ti' version of the card, but games like The Division maxed out are really pushing my OC'ed 980ti @1440p. I see frame rates from 45-60fps right now and wonder if G-Sync would alleviate some of the jerkiness I perceive. Thoughts? I can only do one at the moment and am leaning to the monitor simply because I want my 980ti to hold out until the inevitable 1080ti launch.
Gsync. It will feel like more fps than a 1080 would consistently provide.

That's my feeling nycdarkness. Just looking for others with G-Sync experience to chime in before I pull the trigger. Thanks for your thoughts.

A Gsync monitor is the better upgrade between the two. With a 1080, you'll get more FPS but the 980 Ti GPU is more than capable in most titles. You'll get a greater impact from a Gsync monitor. Also, a monitor will last much longer, as upgrades go, since it's not something that is upgraded with much frequency. You'll have Gsync monitor longer than a 1080 GPU.

Besides with a 980 Ti in hand, it's better to wait for the eventual 1080 Ti.

I would get the Monitor over the card because you can see the difference. I don't think I'll upgrade my card for a while since I got it 9 months back only.
I would get a IPS G-sync monitor if possible I wish I did.

Thanks guys for confirming my thoughts. I was considering the Dell S2716DG since it seems to be a reasonably priced G-Sync monitor, but Comixbooks seems to suggest that might not be a good idea. I would love to get one of the new 34" G-Sync monitors, but those are a bit rich for my blood.

I'd stay the hell away from TN, but others around here will tell you they're fine. The truth is only you, seeing the thing in person, will be able to make that determination for yourself. I personally can't stand TN, even the "good" ones, as I notice the gamma shift constantly (not just when viewed off-center) and find it really distracting, plus I just prize color accuracy in general.

If you're feeling brave the Acer X34 21:9 G-sync is pretty regularly available for $700 as a refurb, but people have quality control issues with those even when buying new and the refurbs are even less certain. That said, over in the [H]otDeals thread some people have been very happy with theirs.

A 1080 is not a big enough performance jump over a 980 Ti to justify the upgrade. Go for a monitor.

I have the X34 and a 980ti and honestly, I can never go back to gaming without G sync. Games drop to ~45 fps and still run butter smooth, that's more important to me than raw horsepower

I have both a 980 Ti and an ASUS PG278Q. Definitely get the G-Sync display. It really helps if games have fluctuating frame rate due to bad design and when you do get good framerates you can turn on 120 Hz ULMB mode for no motion blur goodness. Upgrading to a GTX 1080 doesn't make much sense for 980 Ti owners as an overclocked 980 Ti runs nearly everything quite well at 1440p.

I plan to only change my display and GPU when 120+ Hz 4K monitors and the 1080 Ti are out.

Thanks again everyone for the thoughts. I went over to a friends house yesterday and checked out his GTX 1080. We overclocked it to 2036mhz boost clock and it was only ~15% faster in The Division then my OC'ed 980ti. It also dipped into the mid-30s in some scenes too, so definitely not worth dropping $600+ on. Now the search for a monitor has begun.

Go for the Dell monitor. Sure it's a TN so people who hate on TNs will always hate on TNs but as someone who owns both 1440p 144hz using IPS(technically AHVA) and TN panels I can say the image quality on IPS is definitely not much better. In dark scenes it is worst.

I am currently focused on the Dell. Trying to find the best deal at the moment. I am not a huge fan of TN, but I hate IPS glow and backlight bleed too. There really is no perfect display technology... yet.

You can get a gsync monitor shipped tomorrow. Who knows when you'll get a GTX 1080 lol. Besides GP102/GTX 1080Ti is the real upgrade to the GTX 980 Ti.

I'd wait until next year for a new monitor. They're just not there right now.

You want a 4k, 120hz+, variable refresh, and 30"+ monitor. They're not around yet.

There will be a cool monitor next year. 2016 isn't it for flat screens.

I'd wait until next year for a new monitor. They're just not there right now.

You want a 4k, 120hz+, variable refresh, and 30"+ monitor. They're not around yet.

There will be a cool monitor next year. 2016 isn't it for flat screens.

120hz lol is going to take at least 1080 Ti SLI to drive with compromised settings. Unless you are looking to drop $3000 on GPUs every 12 months nobody is looking forward to that until 2022.

Only thing worth waiting for is OLED. Even then there'll be augmented reality displays and true VR to come when that actually happens. Get the best one for your price point now and enjoy.

Bullcrap. There will be IPS 120hz 4k variable refresh displays next year that will be more or less affordable. OLED is still really early on and expensive.

I love how people pretend that you can't run games at 4k at 120fps. You haven't heard of older games? I still play Quake 3 dude. The original DOOM with an OpenGL port would be awesome with a 4k 120hz monitor.

So yes, it's fine without a 1080 Ti SLI.

Bullcrap. There will be IPS 120hz 4k variable refresh displays next year that will be more or less affordable. OLED is still really early on and expensive.

I love how people pretend that you can't run games at 4k at 120fps. You haven't heard of older games? I still play Quake 3 dude. The original DOOM with an OpenGL port would be awesome with a 4k 120hz monitor.

So yes, it's fine without a 1080 Ti SLI.
They'll be released next year and affordable the year after that. And then there'll be newer and better things to wait for.

Thanks everyone for the spirited discussion. I have decided to wait a few months and see if any new G-sync monitors find their way here. Not super pleased with what I see right now and even less pleased with some of the pricing.

Maximum PC said in a recent review of monitors that the monitor sceen wasn't very active like 4 years ago over the past two years or so with the release of 144hz Blur Busters and the ROG Swift and Ultrawides has PC market ramped up. I doubt the monitor market will change much in 6 months 2 years maybe you will see some really nice stuff but probably expensive.

Personally would like the see SED monitors make a comeback because they never took off from the 2010 announcement.

Why do you want another PWM-based display? Plasma was bad enough.
All we need are scanning/strobing options for OLED displays.
QLED sounds promising too. Proper RGB rather than LG's WOLED.

G-sync is actually really nice and makes gaming so much smoother and enjoyable. I just upgraded to the GTX 1080 and a 1440 144 monitor with g-sync. Got the video card first and it didn't feel that much better than my Titan with my old 1200 monitor (still had all the tearing and stuttering where applicable). But once I added the 1440 g-sync monitor to my set up, wow.

Back