G-SYNC enabled but I still get tearing.

With my Freesync 2 / GSync compatible monitor, I simply leave VSync off and cap at 144 (144hz monitor). I don't notice any tearing even at 144. I do notice tearing if I turn Freesync off. 144 is still within (at the top of) the range at which it works. Is it really necessary to enable VSync and/or Cap my FPS below 144?
I don't know how scanout sync works with Freesync 2 monitors, but if you're not noticing any tear or judder then I wouldn't change anything. Freesync 2 uses an FPGA or other type of hardware addin just like G-SYNC and G-SYNC Ultimate monitors do, as far as I know.

With my Freesync 2 / GSync compatible monitor, I simply leave VSync off and cap at 144 (144hz monitor). I don't notice any tearing even at 144. I do notice tearing if I turn Freesync off. 144 is still within (at the top of) the range at which it works. Is it really necessary to enable VSync and/or Cap my FPS below 144?

Don't you get tearing with pre-rendered in-game video though with vsync off?

I believe the suggestions to cap framerate below the monitor has to do with input lag measurements done by some folks. As you say, as long as adaptive sync is still functioning, you won't see tearing either way. But at least with gsync (not sure about freesync) there are benefits to ensuring you're not railed at the monitor refresh.

I personally do not notice the input lag difference, but I'm not a pro gamer by any stretch. YMMV.

PC:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600x 6-core, 12-thread processor 3.8GHz base, 4.4GHz turbo

Nvidia Gigabyte Geforce Gtx 1080 Ti Gaming Oc 11GB, 600W 80 plus rated power supply

CORSAIR VENGEANCE 2x8GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB SATA III Hard Drive, ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming ATX Motherboard

Corsair Hydro 100i RGB Platinum, Hydro Series

Monitor: ASUS VG248QE 144Hz + AOC 24G2U 144Hz IPS

Hello,

So the whole situation is, I’m having a screen tearing issue. As you can see from my specs I have a decent rig, I’ve been having screen tearing issues ever since I reset my pc. I never used to have screen tearing issues and I know exactly how gsync works. Right now if I cap my FPS to 144 (my monitors refresh rate) I get even worse/ noticeable screen tearing. Like I said. I never used to have this issue, even with uncapped I didn’t get screen tearing. Now I just do. It’s so annoying I’ve been trying to figure it out the past week and I’m so tired of it. What bothers me is that knowing my pc used to be fine and now I’m having this issue. And please don’t tell me to cap my FPS to 138 or play with vsync or even tell me how gsync works because believe me guys, I already know. What kind of fixes the issue is putting vsync on in global settings but I never used to need to do that, right now that’s what I’ve done and for most of the games I’ve tested to see if I have screen tearing , I don’t apart from one game League of Legends. I just want to know or get advice on what could’ve possibly gone wrong or maybe I might be missing certain drivers or something like that, I am not a pc expert and I really need help troubleshooting this issue. What can i do to fix this. Sorry if I sound quite rude but I’m just tired and I want to find a solution to this. Is there a setting I should have on or something, I just need help guys as this is very frustrating. Again sorry if I sound rude.

Also I had a 1080 and recently upgraded to a 1080 ti, I was having this issue with my 1080 as well. (After I reset my pc)

also i should add im on windows 10 pro 1909

PC:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600x 6-core, 12-thread processor 3.8GHz base, 4.4GHz turbo

Nvidia Gigabyte Geforce Gtx 1080 Ti Gaming Oc 11GB, 600W 80 plus rated power supply

CORSAIR VENGEANCE 2x8GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB SATA III Hard Drive, ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming ATX Motherboard

Corsair Hydro 100i RGB Platinum, Hydro Series

Monitor: ASUS VG248QE 144Hz + AOC 24G2U 144Hz IPS

Hello,

So the whole situation is, I’m having a screen tearing issue. As you can see from my specs I have a decent rig, I’ve been having screen tearing issues ever since I reset my pc. I never used to have screen tearing issues and I know exactly how gsync works. Right now if I cap my FPS to 144 (my monitors refresh rate) I get even worse/ noticeable screen tearing. Like I said. I never used to have this issue, even with uncapped I didn’t get screen tearing. Now I just do. It’s so annoying I’ve been trying to figure it out the past week and I’m so tired of it. What bothers me is that knowing my pc used to be fine and now I’m having this issue. And please don’t tell me to cap my FPS to 138 or play with vsync or even tell me how gsync works because believe me guys, I already know. What kind of fixes the issue is putting vsync on in global settings but I never used to need to do that, right now that’s what I’ve done and for most of the games I’ve tested to see if I have screen tearing , I don’t apart from one game League of Legends. I just want to know or get advice on what could’ve possibly gone wrong or maybe I might be missing certain drivers or something like that, I am not a pc expert and I really need help troubleshooting this issue. What can i do to fix this. Sorry if I sound quite rude but I’m just tired and I want to find a solution to this. Is there a setting I should have on or something, I just need help guys as this is very frustrating. Again sorry if I sound rude.

Also I had a 1080 and recently upgraded to a 1080 ti, I was having this issue with my 1080 as well. (After I reset my pc)

also i should add im on windows 10 pro 1909

You obviously don't know what you're doing otherwise you would know you want to cap at 2-3fps below refresh and turn gsync+vsync ON in the CP. You may be having trouble with a new driver. Also that is a freesync monitor not gsync.

You obviously don't know what you're doing otherwise you would know you want to cap at 2-3fps below refresh and turn gsync+vsync ON in the CP. You may be having trouble with a new driver. Also that is a freesync monitor not gsync.

REMEBER, i never used to have this issue, i started to have screen tearing after i reset my pc.

I tried the built in frame limiter in the driver, but it doesn't work well. I set it to 73 and 74 (75hz monitor) and in both cases I got terrible stuttering, while with vsync on and no limit the frame rate is smooth
It's not terrible on my end, but I do notice some random small stutters when I have the limiter on (141fps in my case for a 144hz monitor), regardless of the frame rate.

Do I need to enable V-SYNC in games for G-SYNC to actually work or what?
Because right now I have G-SYNC enabled in the nvidia control panel for full screen apps but still clearly see tearing in games.
Unless I enable the v-sync option in the game. Yes, the game is set to run exclusive fullscreen, not borderless or windowed mode.
This sounds like gsync is not working. Which monitor? Are you definitely plugged into the gsync display port? some monitors also have non gsync ports like hdmi for convenience.
Any settings on your monitor to enable or disable it? My monitor has a light that turns amber when gsync is active. If I enable backlight strobing it disables gsync.

I dont care about gsync I just get a high refresh monitor even if its Freesync it works about the same.

The two monitors Asus Tuf 24 inch that should be here tommorow are both Freesync and Gsync so I'll see if it's any better then the stock Samsung I've been using for 9 months.

Last edited:
Last driver release added the frame rate cap on the control panel. I have been using it on my 144Hz panel without gsync. Seem to work great at 120fps cap for me with vsync off. Totally recommend giving it a shot.

Thanks! I had crazy screen tearing but didn't bother to look up why. This totally worked.

Okay, so this got me interested and TheHig is correct. V-Sync is no longer needed.

I tested Left4Dead and Doom Eternal, on 2 separate computers (one Nvidia the other AMD) and on 3 different FreeSync/G-Sync-Compatible monitors.

All I had to do was set a frame cap in either the Nvidia control panel (or AMD Chill) and V-Sync off in game (no force) and there is no tearing at all.

I use 2 below the refresh rate, so 158 on my 160Hz monitor, for example. This was enough to eliminate tearing with both AMD and Nvidia.

BlurBusters might need to revisit their article, cause the information is outdated.

I have never used VSync with GSync enabled and it always seemed to work fine. *shrug*

1. If you still keep vsync enabled in-game I'd imagine you would rarely have problems. Not the best setup however.
2. If you never go beyond your monitor's refresh rate in fps then you won't go out of range.

1. If you still keep vsync enabled in-game I'd imagine you would rarely have problems. Not the best setup however.
2. If you never go beyond your monitor's refresh rate in fps then you won't go out of range.

Yeah, most likely I am not pushing 144+ FPS in the games I play, so that's probably why. I generally disable VSync in the game itself.

Okay, so this got me interested and TheHig is correct. V-Sync is no longer needed.

I tested Left4Dead and Doom Eternal, on 2 separate computers (one Nvidia the other AMD) and on 3 different FreeSync/G-Sync-Compatible monitors.

All I had to do was set a frame cap in either the Nvidia control panel (or AMD Chill) and V-Sync off in game (no force) and there is no tearing at all.

I use 2 below the refresh rate, so 158 on my 160Hz monitor, for example. This was enough to eliminate tearing with both AMD and Nvidia.

BlurBusters might need to revisit their article, cause the information is outdated.

No I think you need to re-read the article. Vsync-on solves a very specific problem where 1 or 2 frames render faster than your “average” frame time.There is no way you’re detecting that with your eyeballs.

In the end though if you can’t see the tearing then for all practical purposes it’s not there.

I don't know how scanout sync works with Freesync 2 monitors, but if you're not noticing any tear or judder then I wouldn't change anything. Freesync 2 uses an FPGA or other type of hardware addin just like G-SYNC and G-SYNC Ultimate monitors do, as far as I know.
Freesync 2 doesn’t use an FPGA or other hardware. It works just like freesync 1 over displayport (or hdmi) signaling with main difference being that more minimum capabilities are required to prevent such poor implementations that it gives freesync a bad rep and some new features added.

Hello,

- I am using a 144hz monitor capped at 120hz(due to gpu limitations)
- none of the games I play has a frame rate that exceeds my monitors refresh rate
- I get no tearing

Does gsync has something to offer me?

Thanks

Yes, G-Sync will help keep games smooth when running below your refresh rate. Usually around 90fps will be good enough to have a nice experience.

Back