G-SYNC enabled but I still get tearing.

M76

[H]F Junkie
Do I need to enable V-SYNC in games for G-SYNC to actually work or what?
Because right now I have G-SYNC enabled in the nvidia control panel for full screen apps but still clearly see tearing in games.
Unless I enable the v-sync option in the game. Yes, the game is set to run exclusive fullscreen, not borderless or windowed mode.

What refresh rate is your monitor? What FPS is the game rendering at?

If you pump out more FPS that the max refresh rate of you display, Gsync doesn't work. I cap all my games if possible at 98fps as I have a 100Hz display.

Also if you hold the fps below your refresh rate with g-sync enabled, turn on v-sync and, per blur busters, less input lag if I remember correctly.

Capping the framerate is recommended to prevent input lag, but not mandatory - because without it once you hit the max refresh rate of your monitor you'll be in v-sync mode, with a hefty latency penalty, although at 120hz and beyond it won't be noticeable to most people (at 60hz though, it's an incredibly large difference). I've often forgotten to cap my frames at 141fps on my 144hz monitors and truth be told never noticed - the transition between g-sync and v-sync is totally smooth and transparent and at such high refresh rates the lag is too small to matter for the majority of users.

What is mandatory (if you never want to see tearing) is having v-sync enabled in the control panel's global profile, it should override whatever the games try to do, with rare exceptions, so it's not critical to turn v-sync off in the games themselves but still recommended.

As long as v-sync is off, g-sync can still tear at times, even within its range, because of occasional frametime variances.

Yeah never enabled V-Sync in the NV control panel and i never get tearing if the game has the ability to cap my frames at 98 (100Hz monitor). If the game can't cap frames, the second i go over 100FPS, instant tearing.

You don't have to enable V-Sync, but you should even if you use an FPS cap. The primary thing V-Sync does with G-SYNC is ensure that frame delivery does not outpace the scanout of your monitor. Without it you can still get judder.

You don't have to enable V-Sync, but you should even if you use an FPS cap. The primary thing V-Sync does with G-SYNC is ensure that frame delivery does not outpace the scanout of your monitor. Without it you can still get judder.

Definitely going to play around with this i suppose. Can't hurt!

I've never enabled VSync with GSync on - in fact, I thought GSync was there to explicitly replace VSync, because VSync introduces input lag.

I've never enabled VSync with GSync on - in fact, I thought GSync was there to explicitly replace VSync, because VSync introduces input lag.
You only get input lag with V-Sync while using G-SYNC if your framerate is >= your refresh rate. This is why it's still recommended to use an FPS cap to ensure that your framerate doesn't approach the maximum refresh rate. It's all explained in the G-SYNC 101 article on Blur Busters.
https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/

Not to totally hijack the thread any further but I heard rumblings a few weeks back about a universal frame rate limiter coming in the Nvidia drivers. I need to look into the status of that. While some games support a frame by frame limit (so i can specifically set 98), some only allow 60, 120, 144, etc.. which is problematic for me having a 100Hz screen.

Last driver release added the frame rate cap on the control panel. I have been using it on my 144Hz panel without gsync. Seem to work great at 120fps cap for me with vsync off. Totally recommend giving it a shot.
Good to know!

Turn on G-SYNC and turn on frame rate capping at -2 from the max refresh of your monitor. That pretty much fixes it across the board. I haven't head tearing since doing that myself.

You only get input lag with V-Sync while using G-SYNC if your framerate is >= your refresh rate. This is why it's still recommended to use an FPS cap to ensure that your framerate doesn't approach the maximum refresh rate. It's all explained in the G-SYNC 101 article on Blur Busters.
https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/

I'll check it out. I've always disabled VSync entirely and never had any noticeable issues with GSync, so it makes me wonder if it's even necessary. I do use a framerate limiter, though.

if you enable vsync in NV control panel, watch out for input lag in some games. I got it with bf5 and my fps cap was below refresh rate. I don't hit my cap anyway in that game.

OK, I didn't know it stopped working beyond the monitor refresh rate entirely. I'll enable frame cap, and see if that helps

OK, I didn't know it stopped working beyond the monitor refresh rate entirely. I'll enable frame cap, and see if that helps

Frame rate cap below your refresh rate, ensure V Sync is disabled in games. Enable G Sync in control panel. Should be it.

This thread is interesting to me as it conflicts with what I do. I have a 144Hz gsync monitor and NEVER get tearing. However, my settings are as follows:

Gsync = Enabled in Fullscreen & Borderless Window (this might be key for some of you as default is fullscreen only).

Vsync = Off in nvidia control panel and I always turn it off in games.

FPS Cap = Sometimes I use, sometimes I dont. Generally set at 144FPS if I do decide use it. But this seemingly has no effect as far as gsync for me. I only use it when I want to free up CPU load on high FPS games.

This thread is interesting to me as it conflicts with what I do. I have a 144Hz gsync monitor and NEVER get tearing. However, my settings are as follows:

Gsync = Enabled in Fullscreen & Borderless Window (this might be key for some of you as default is fullscreen only).

Vsync = Off in nvidia control panel and I always turn it off in games.

FPS Cap = Sometimes I use, sometimes I dont. Generally set at 144FPS if I do decide use it. But this seemingly has no effect as far as gsync for me. I only use it when I want to free up CPU load on high FPS games.
If you're running settings in games such that the FPS never exceeds your monitor's refresh rate then you would not get tearing. G-SYNC does not operate outside of the monitor's max refresh rate.

If you're running settings in games such that the FPS never exceeds your monitor's refresh rate then you would not get tearing. G-SYNC does not operate outside of the monitor's max refresh rate.
Which is possible I guess... It's always max settings or bust for me. But I swear I run a few benchmarks well over 144FPS and never see tearing. I get gsync physically can't manipulate above a refresh rate, so maybe those benchmarks are forcing vsync on and I do not know it? For example, I never frame cap a benchmark because the idea is to see where u land, but when watching, I dont see tearing over 144FPS.

Those running GSYNC with VSync off: are you running in borderless, or exclusive/fullscreen but have not disabled fullscreen optimizations in every game's EXE(it's on by default)? Either way VSync is forced on no matter what your settings thanks to Windows. Disabling Game Mode doesn't affect it - you have to check that box in the properties of every EXE.

Those running GSYNC with VSync off: are you running in borderless, or exclusive/fullscreen but have not disabled fullscreen optimizations in every game's EXE(it's on by default)? Either way VSync is forced on no matter what your settings thanks to Windows. Disabling Game Mode doesn't affect it - you have to check that box in the properties of every EXE.

That's interesting because even with FPS limit set and Gsync on I was still gettting tearing in Borderlands 3 last night on my new build.

Nah Windows 10 doesn't force v-sync in windowed/borderless anymore. I get plenty of tearing in windowed/borderless if I don't "sync" one way or another, either on my gaming desktop or my laptop with an iGPU.

It hasn't always been like that, DWM used to sync windowed/borderless games using some kind of fast-sync (no tearing but no fps limit either). But at some point Windows 10 updates killed that, I suppose because DWM had a noticeable impact on performance.

Frame rate cap below your refresh rate, ensure V Sync is disabled in games. Enable G Sync in control panel. Should be it.
this is what I did for years but with vsync on in NV CP untill I realized I was getting a little input lag in some games due to vsync being enabled in NV CP. I'm pretty sure the tearing with gsync on and vsync off is limited to the top and bottom of the screen, so most people don't notice it. I wonder if freesync has issues too.

this is what I did for years but with vsync on in NV CP untill I realized I was getting a little input lag in some games due to vsync being enabled in NV CP. I'm pretty sure the tearing with gsync on and vsync off is limited to the top and bottom of the screen, so most people don't notice it. I wonder if freesync has issues too.

V-sync is NOT actually v-sync if you are within the g-sync range - it simply activates a function to compensate for occasional and sudden frametime spikes. Originally nvidia did not even allow us to mess around with the v-sync setting for that reason. Your issue is elsewhere. Or maybe you were just hitting your refresh rate limit (or maybe your games were not running at your maximum refresh rate, it can sadly still happen even with the "prefer highest refresh rate" option).

From what I recall they gave us the option to force v-sync off around when AMD released Freesync, because AMD's default setup let your framerate go out of the VRR range, which lets you tout slightly lower latency numbers (if you go higher than your refresh rate) with very high framerates, but nothing else. For some reason nvidia never bothered to explain or clarify the settings and people like those on blurbusters had to do the digging and write down the explanations. And the default g-sync setup nowadays (with a clean install) doesn't even have v-sync on anymore, so I can understand the confusion and why so many seem to get it wrong and complain about tearing with g-sync on. It kinda baffles me to be honest, nvidia could easily make a g-sync default setup that's good enough for 99.9% of users, if not more, especially with their new built-in frame limiter.

V-sync is NOT actually v-sync if you are within the g-sync range - it simply activates a function to compensate for occasional and sudden frametime spikes. Originally nvidia did not even allow us to mess around with the v-sync setting for that reason. Your issue is elsewhere. Or maybe you were just hitting your refresh rate limit (or maybe your games were not running at your maximum refresh rate, it can sadly still happen even with the "prefer highest refresh rate" option).

From what I recall they gave us the option to force v-sync off around when AMD released Freesync, because AMD's default setup let your framerate go out of the VRR range, which lets you tout slightly lower latency numbers (if you go higher than your refresh rate) with very high framerates, but nothing else. For some reason nvidia never bothered to explain or clarify the settings and people like those on blurbusters had to do the digging and write down the explanations. And the default g-sync setup nowadays (with a clean install) doesn't even have v-sync on anymore, so I can understand the confusion and why so many seem to get it wrong and complain about tearing with g-sync on. It kinda baffles me to be honest, nvidia could easily make a g-sync default setup that's good enough for 99.9% of users, if not more, especially with their new built-in frame limiter.
hm, I don't know. it was really easy to test. all I had to do was alt tab and turn vsync off and notice less input lag with BF5. I never hit my fps limit in that game. I avg about 90 fps with med settings at 1440p. I have a second monitor, maybe it has something to do with that.

Vsync is still good if you play any games with cinematic video or pre-recorded cutscenes. Without vsync those may some tearing.

hm, I don't know. it was really easy to test. all I had to do was alt tab and turn vsync off and notice less input lag with BF5. I never hit my fps limit in that game. I avg about 90 fps with med settings at 1440p. I have a second monitor, maybe it has something to do with that.
There are quirks with G-SYNC while using multiple monitors if the non-primary ones do not have G-SYNC.

There are quirks with G-SYNC while using multiple monitors if the non-primary ones do not have G-SYNC.
I use my secondary monitor for discord or system monitoring when I game. It is not gsync and I can't say I have noticed any issues on my primary gsync monitor... are you able to elaborate some?

I use my secondary monitor for discord or system monitoring when I game. It is not gsync and I can't say I have noticed any issues on my primary gsync monitor... are you able to elaborate some?
I don't use multiple monitors so I did not hold onto the details. I know there was a time when even with windowed support added you needed to run in exclusive fullscreen mode. I believe now it works, but the refresh rate settings on all connected monitors need to match. You should be able to find more on the GeForce community forums.

They must have fixed that or it causes some issue I never noticed. My curiosity is poked though. My secondary runs at 60Hz, my primary is 144Hz. I always game in exclusive full screen for added performance and when I use the Hz monitor on the screen, it matches the FPS constantly. No stuttering or tearing.

They must have fixed that or it causes some issue I never noticed. My curiosity is poked though. My secondary runs at 60Hz, my primary is 144Hz. I always game in exclusive full screen for added performance and when I use the Hz monitor on the screen, it matches the FPS constantly. No stuttering or tearing.
That sounds exactly what I see with FreeSync with 60zh 3440x1440 secondary monitor to 144hz 2560x1440 FreeSyncII monitor. AMD Enhanced sync which syncs a frame to output of the monitor refresh rate when above Freesync range of monitor (not restricting FPS to the monitor refresh rate so as to to give less lag and less or no tearing) works great. I don't see any tearing even when above the FreeSync range. The rendering is tear free in and out of the FreeSync range or is totally transparent from my experience. There is no need to limit frame rate if reduce lag is wanted which works right along with Boost for very high frame rates for games supported. For high frame rate games it works extremely well.

I tried the built in frame limiter in the driver, but it doesn't work well. I set it to 73 and 74 (75hz monitor) and in both cases I got terrible stuttering, while with vsync on and no limit the frame rate is smooth

Tried the new limiter today... Seems to work alright. Will play around with it more as I was mostly catching up on BF4 on my slower system.

I tried the built in frame limiter in the driver, but it doesn't work well. I set it to 73 and 74 (75hz monitor) and in both cases I got terrible stuttering, while with vsync on and no limit the frame rate is smooth
Try setting the limiter a little lower. The NVIDIA limiter doesn't update as frequently as RTSS so you would probably get better results if you try something like 68-70.

Still no reason why it should stutter when g-sync is enabled. Is it a g-sync compatible monitor rather than one with a g-sync module maybe?

Been having flawless performance using the NV driver frame limited @ 141, GSync/VSync universal on, in-game Vsync disabled. Asus PG279Q Gsync monitor @ 1440p 144Hz (I don't bother with 165Hz mode as I prefer high detail) and a 1080Ti, latest drivers. Mostly playing Apex, BFV and Star Wars Jedi Fallen.

I remember always noticing an almost static tear line near the bottom of the screen and somewhat juddery motion while playing BF4 on my PG279Q with G-Sync ON and V-Sync OFF.

G-sync plus enabling Vsync in NVCP fixed the tear and made the game smoother. I never felt any additional input lag. I already figured this out on my own even before the Blurbusters G-Sync 101 article was published but what I did learn from Blurbusters is about frame capping about 3 frames below max refresh to avoid V-Sync induced input lag. That said, I only framecap 2 frames below with RTSS on MP games that consistently exceed the max refresh rate of the monitor which works well for me. For SP games or graphically demanding games where the FPS is always below max refresh, I don't bother with frame-capping anymore.

Since then, I've always been using those settings.

With my Freesync 2 / GSync compatible monitor, I simply leave VSync off and cap at 144 (144hz monitor). I don't notice any tearing even at 144. I do notice tearing if I turn Freesync off. 144 is still within (at the top of) the range at which it works. Is it really necessary to enable VSync and/or Cap my FPS below 144?

Back