g-sync and non gsync displays

German Muscle

Supreme [H]ardness
So i have 2 60hz non gsync monitors and one 165hz gsync monitors. If i have the 60hz panels unplugged gsync works flarlessly but if i have the others plugged in it just holds the monitor at 165hz and gsync doesnt work.

So my assumption here is that this isnt going to work like this. Looking for advise on if there are any other options before i shell out for 2 more of these monitors to cure the issue.

I run 7 monitors (5 non-gsync) and gsync works fine on the main display. Make sure you have it set as your primary display. Also the hz displayed doesn't change during gsync, it should always say 165hz even though it's actually running at a variable refresh rate, the refresh rate displayed is just the maximum.

I run 7 monitors (5 non-gsync) and gsync works fine on the main display. Make sure you have it set as your primary display. Also the hz displayed doesn't change during gsync, it should always say 165hz even though it's actually running at a variable refresh rate, the refresh rate displayed is just the maximum.
If FPS overlay enabled from your monitor OSD is displayed as maximum then G-Sync does not work for you.
At 165Hz it is hard to say it is working because frame time is just 6ms vs 16ms for 60Hz display so sturreting and/or tearing is much less visible.

That said G-Sync (real one, not Freesync) always worked for me just fine and I have other monitors without it.

If FPS overlay enabled from your monitor OSD is displayed as maximum then G-Sync does not work for you.
At 165Hz it is hard to say it is working because frame time is just 6ms vs 16ms for 60Hz display so sturreting and/or tearing is much less visible.

That said G-Sync (real one, not Freesync) always worked for me just fine and I have other monitors without it.

I didn't realize they added fps to monitor OSDs, mine are older and don't have that, but it would be an easy way to tell if gsync is working.

I personally find it very easy tell if gsync is working just by looking at a game, even at 100s of fps.

here is my settings for verification
upload_2020-1-20_13-15-33.png

upload_2020-1-20_13-16-7.png

If you run active content (video) on a 60hz monitor while playing a game on your Gsync monitor, it will make your high refresh monitor run at 60hz.

If you run active content (video) on a 60hz monitor while playing a game on your Gsync monitor, it will make your high refresh monitor run at 60hz.
I will try this and see. However mine doesnt run at 60 it runs at the refresh rate its set to in nv control panel.

Those perfect nvidia drivers strike again!

much appreciated on the links and the help on this.

So last night i gave it a shot. I minimized all windows and launched CSGO since it was quick and easy. It didnt work and was acting the same. Then i had a quick realization that wallpaper engine might be causing it so i paused that and tried again and gsync worked as it should.

So im kinda happy that it works but there are still unrelated issues im having. The main one being that the physical size of the 27 is the same as my 24s and the res difference creates a virtual ledge that is annoying. The other being how different the panels are so im probably going to still pick up two VG27AQs to put on each side and be done with it. I think this will create the fluid environment that i seek with the performance to boot.

So after some extensive testing it seemed to work intermittently. Sometimes with windows up on the other ones it would still work.

Picked up the two VG27AQs yesterday and im going to work on swapping out my old dells for them and see if everything is a bit more friendly.

Back