G.Skill - waiting 2 days and counting for RMA action - is this normal for them?

burntoc

n00b
So yeah, per the title I have a 2x16GB kit of DDR4-3600 CL 16 that I got about 18 months ago. It's been in a media server and while I experienced the occasional hiccup I didn't really look into it until I moved the RAM to a new build this weekend and I decided to run a memtest. I'm getting errors even at rated or lower speeds. I filled out the form to start the RMA process on Labor Day and I really expected to hear back on Tuesday - or first thing this morning at the latest. I've heard nothing. I called their USA tech support number and the person who answered was like "yeah, so you haven't heard anything yet? You just have to wait. I can't really help you and they may be backed up due to Labor Day. Give it another day or two."

So this memory was being put into a new build that's MUCH more important to me than the previous one, and I can't use it because the memory is unreliable. Memory is so critical it blows my mind that G.Skill would expect to wait 2-4 days before even reaching out. Beyond that, their standard language looks like they'll expect me to ship it somewhere and then they'll send me a replacement in 1-2 weeks. No mention of advance replacement.

Is this normal for these guys? Did I make a mistake buying G.Skill vs Corsair? I've never had a bad memory RMA situation before.

Seems normal for any business after a 3 day weekend. Sucks but is the reality.

Seems normal for any business after a 3 day weekend. Sucks but is the reality.

For a department store, a hobby shop, etc., maybe. No way should this be the case with CPUs, motherboards, or memory. Heck, I had a Corsair AIO issue about 4 months ago and I committed to advance pay and they got back to me within 24 hours and I had a replacement unit the next day.
In any case like I said, never had a memory issue drive a RMA, but at this point I think I'll buy another brand next time. I'm in SoCal so there's almost always an easy option - seems a few companies just aren't motivated to act reasonably quickly.

You've waited one day since they were closed labor day and would have seen your rma yesterday at the earliest. That's hardly unreasonable :rolleyes:.

That answers my question related to what this group thinks is reasonable, anyway. Appreciate the responses!

Last edited:
Never ever fill out online RMA forms if your in a hurry to get your gear back. Contact them by phone. You will get faster service everytime, guaranteed.

Never ever fill out online RMA forms if your in a hurry to get your gear back. Contact them by phone. You will get faster service everytime, guaranteed.
You're totally right. I usually follow that advice, but since it was Labor Day I took a gamble that having it in their queue first thing the next day would get some action before a phone call. For what it's worth, when I dialed the 909 number and got a live person I was certain I'd chosen wrong, but based on the dude's answering the phone simply "Gee-skill." and saying he couldn't do anything despite having no info from me and offering no assistance despite my saying I'd give him the lookup info - I'm not sure there was a right option in this case.

It's the end of day two. Based on my completely opposite experience dealing with Corsair (my original request there was via form as well because it was a Sunday. and when they did get back to me on Monday we actually exchanged a couple of calls while they worked through options), I'm planning on buying other brands going forward.

Back