G.Skill vs. Mushkin?

MiG29TangentBoy

Limp Gawd
Any opinions on these two brands of memory? They appear identical in terms of specifications...my friend absolutely swears by Mushkin, but I've used G.Skill for a while.
G.Skill 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231145
vs.
Mushkin 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146755

These will be on a Gigabyte GA-EX38-DQ6 X38 board paired with a Core2Duo E8400. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!:D

I like Mushkin. Sure, g-skill is "just as good" but I think Mushkin is worth the extra in this case. Their support forum is second to none, the Mushkin guys there are always quick to respond and know what they're talking about, just awesome.

I like Mushkin. Sure, g-skill is "just as good" but I think Mushkin is worth the extra in this case. Their support forum is second to none, the Mushkin guys there are always quick to respond and know what they're talking about, just awesome.

You shouldn't need support for RAM. It works or it doesn't. It's defective, or your motherboard is messed up. The fact that there /is/ an active support form is a strike against them if you ask me.

I have those exact same G.Skill RAM modules and they work great...I recommend them.

I have the mushkins and they work great in a gigabyte p35-ds4. Also the support of a product tends to be one of the most significant factors of buing it and mushkin has great support for their products.

You shouldn't need support for RAM. It works or it doesn't. It's defective, or your motherboard is messed up. The fact that there /is/ an active support form is a strike against them if you ask me.

I think that's some silly logic there. Perhaps we should say the corsair representative here answering questions about corsair ram is a strike against corsair ram? I think not.

It's not just if it's defective or not. Sometimes there are overclocking issues or information about the timings or speeds that a customer later down the road may be interested in knowing. Having a support group to assist a customer that just purchased ram from their company I don't feel is in any way a strike against.

Even with that said, I don't feel it's worth the extra cost.
Get the G Skill ;)

They're there to assist with overclocking and compatibility questions as well. They will even help you with other hardware issues. Just because they have excellent support doesn't mean their products fail all the time.

I'm one of those people that will only buy Mushkin :)

+10 for

<Mushkin

I really think "Other" companies heatspreaders such as G.Skill and Crucial are WAY to thin, but I guess thicker takes longer to dissipate heat as thinner would do it faster. But that is a fine line and I would prefer thicker so more heat is pulled off the chips faster, but just my opinion. Those paper thin heatspreaders just make RAM feel naked after owning Mushkins.

They overclock great and as stated above, Tons of Support make a great product

I'll admit that I was overly harsh, but the fact remains: RAM is RAM. Some OCs better than others, but if it's rated for a given speed and timings, chances are it'll run that speed and timings just fine. Most RAM companies have pretty good customer service where I feel it matters -- RMAs on dead sticks. It's nice to have a forum, but there's also the [H] and any number of other options.

In the end there's nothing magic about Mushkin, or OCZ, or Corsair, or Kingston, or Crucial, PQI, TEAM Group, Cellshock, etc etc etc. RAM is RAM. That was my main point.

I have that g.skill set and I am happy with them. so happy in fact, that I just bought 4gb more of it.

Ram Heatspreaders are over rated imho, of course you might get better overclocks but performance gains from said overclocks are minimal after 1:1

I LOVE my Mushkin, it was expensive as hell but I've gone through 4 sticks of Corsair Dominator and 2 sticks of Crucial Ballistix in the last year while my Mushkin keeps on going. The others were either DOA or crapped out and went bad within a few weeks.

The GSkill is good though, I've heard lots of good things about them. Either way, you will get a good product.

I am currently using 2 sets of G.Skill 4gb ddr2 1000 in my own computers. My buddy up the hall (apt bldg.) is also using the kit.

I have put together 2 other computer for friends of mine using G.Skill memory.

In all, I have NEVER had any kind of bad experience. All the memory I had was very stable, overclocked very well...the list goes on.

In the end you want to be happy about your purchases, I am pretty sure that G.Skill will do that for you.

Personally I vote for Gskill. The price is lower and for performance you won't see the difference in the 1 lowered timing setting of the mushkin, and for overclocking you will probably see about the same results....so why pay the extra. Mushkin is damned fine too though.

Back