G.Skill Trident Z issues, B-Die? RGB?

Borgschulze

2[H]4U
So I'm kind of at my wits end with this memory.

I've finally figured out all the small issues with my Ryzen Build, except this stupid RGB crap.

So I've tried a bunch of different software to try and control these damn RGB lights... I've tried re-seating the memory... I've tried voodoo, everything.

Sometimes it will work perfectly fine, sometimes it flickers and goes back to default rainbow... sometimes it doesn't even show up in the RGB software...

I did a clean windows install, it stopped showing up in RGB Fusion, tried the Asus Aura software, and had it working good last night... then it magically also showed up in MSI Mystic Light but didn't work? This morning I'm back to the typical doesn't even show up in software again.

Now.. out of curiosity I used Taiphoon to check these sticks, no CRC errors, and apparently they're B-Die Samsung chips?!?!

Last night I had it working awesome, MSI Mystic Light finally worked with it, the settings applied faster than usual, and this morning it's back to rainbow mode and won't show up in any software.

This kit is the F4-3600C18-8GTZN if anyone is interested.

Now... I'm fine with the stock SPD settings, the system doesn't crash, I don't care about overclocking at this point, I'm still running the stock cooler on my Ryzen chip. I just want the RGB to either turn the damn rainbow crap off, or work correctly.

I've been spending more time messing with this crap than enjoying it so far. I was ready to return the memory till I found out it was this special B-Die Samsung chips...

Specs are as follows.

Ryzen 5 3600X @ Stock
Gigabyte Aorus Elite
G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x8gb F4-3600C18-8GTZN
MSI GTX 1660 Super Gaming X
WD Blue 3D 1TB M.2
Corsair CX850M PSU
Windows 10 Pro

G.Skill.jpg
SPD.jpg

If it's not performing the way you want it to, and you're not OCing then B-die really doesn't mean much and just RMA them. To put in perspective my $129 2x16GB kit of G.Skill Hynix CJR does Cas 18 at 3600Mhz, so B-die isn't anything magical anymore really unless you're pushing for 4000Mhz+.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
That's great, but I need to figure out if it's a memory issue, or a Gigabyte motherboard issue.

I'm not sure how to go about that. I don't really want to go buy more memory to test and see if the RGB works fine.

The RGB settings for the motherboard and memory also reset upon waking up from sleep all night.

I've had the luck of having the memory show up again in RGB Fusion... I manually went through the entire registry and deleted every RGB software entry and re-installed just RGB Fusion, and then Mystic Light afterwards to control the GPU.

Can't help you with that.

My guess would be a motherboard issue as the RAM really doesn't have much that would go wrong. The motherboard controls the lights and it sounds like a control issue.

I find that Mystic Light is crap! I have an MSI board and this current one has one RGB bit on it, lights up the MSI Logo on the board from behind the MB. I have it set to a static color. And let me tell you it goes from static to rainbow to currently not even on. Their software to control RGB is shit and every time the PC wakes from sleep seems to change settings. It seems to get worse with every revision they make to it. My last MB and video card were both MSI RGB and I would have to reboot and change settings constantly just to get the logo on the video card to be white on the lettering and red on the outside bits of it. Now my Corsair RGB software is always spot on and perfect. Anyway I doubt it is the RAM or Board.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I find that Mystic Light is crap! I have an MSI board and this current one has one RGB bit on it, lights up the MSI Logo on the board from behind the MB. I have it set to a static color. And let me tell you it goes from static to rainbow to currently not even on. Their software to control RGB is shit and every time the PC wakes from sleep seems to change settings. It seems to get worse with every revision they make to it. My last MB and video card were both MSI RGB and I would have to reboot and change settings constantly just to get the logo on the video card to be white on the lettering and red on the outside bits of it. Now my Corsair RGB software is always spot on and perfect. Anyway I doubt it is the RAM or Board.

The only reason I thought it might be the board is because I have had LED firmware updates for my board (Asus). So there has to be some kind of tweaks for the LED lighting controller every now and then.

Yeah the Gigabyte software first install would entirely lock up the PC and nothing would fix it except a hard reset.

I had to find an older version of the software to even open it.

Pretty much reset the colour every time I turn the PC on.

I've tried 3 different BIOS as well, they all act the same, except the newest one has more stability, the one it shipped with I had issues with the BIOS resetting sometimes when I reboot.

At least when it works, I love the look of it... I have an older Corsair mechanical keyboard that only has red backlight, not that I'm complaining, I love red/black themes... but everything matches nicely!

Attachments

• IMG_20191220_104315re.jpg
    IMG_20191220_104315re.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 0
Yeah the Gigabyte software first install would entirely lock up the PC and nothing would fix it except a hard reset.

I had to find an older version of the software to even open it.

Pretty much reset the colour every time I turn the PC on.

I've tried 3 different BIOS as well, they all act the same, except the newest one has more stability, the one it shipped with I had issues with the BIOS resetting sometimes when I reboot.

At least when it works, I love the look of it... I have an older Corsair mechanical keyboard that only has red backlight, not that I'm complaining, I love red/black themes... but everything matches nicely!

I have the Corsair K70 RGB and M65 mouse. So I set a nice Blue for all LED that is Corsair for normal use, then push the button to my next profile for gaming and it is all red with the keys I need lit up different colors for ease of use. Love it. Then the third profile is for nightime, turns most lighting off except a few blue LED''s on my light strips front and back of case.

Nice, I was not a fan of the RGB stuff at all... but decided to get it to entertain my kids.

Ended up really enjoying it.

Mine runs fine on the XMP profile.

3600mhz 18-22-22-42, timing is really loose though.

I haven't tried messing with them yet... waiting till I get a better CPU cooler.

Having used RGB memory on my gigabyte board not too long ago, I had a similar experience. The trick to fix it was to get rid of the software and set the color in the bios.

Having used RGB memory on my gigabyte board not too long ago, I had a similar experience. The trick to fix it was to get rid of the software and set the color in the bios.

Colour options are On or Off in the BIOS, and it does not allow you to change the Memory... only the motherboard.

I'll load it up when I get home from work today. It's been a while since I set the color for my PC but I kind of just remember doing like an apply to all in the RGB Fusion options in the bios.

I'll load it up when I get home from work today. It's been a while since I set the color for my PC but I kind of just remember doing like an apply to all in the RGB Fusion options in the bios.

On an X570 Aorus Elite board?

I have 2 computers here with the x470 Aorus boards. In my bios under peripherals I have the baked in RGB Fusion, when I select an option it changes MB and RAM together to match. I just remember the nightmare I went through trying to get my color to change using the software and the RGB software from the memory vendor and figured it was probably still the same issue. Sorry if it doesn't apply to the latest and greatest.

It also doesn't reset or change back at random. Had that issue when trying to use the RGB Fusion software in windows.

anyone tried to remove the RGB heatspreaders on the Tridents? i have a pair but they are going to be too tall, or should i just sell them and get LPX lol

G.Skill Answered me, they said the RGB sinks come off like the Non RGB ones but they wouldn't elaborate more because they can't condone my actions on removing them.

Ok so if there is anyone else out there wanting to remove the heatspeaders from the RGB Neo's it is super painless. No Heat required

All i used was a 1.5" plastic putty knife, and it provided enough soft and slow leverage to peel the sticky thermal pad that goes across the entire length of the heat spreader.

It was such a smooth peel that i never felt worried about damaging the ram modules. So the adhesive is not very strong. the LED lights are soldered onto the pcb and not attached to the heat spreader in any way.

Ahx3JFc.jpg

Last edited:
Back