G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage (1.25v) 8GB DDR3 1600 + 4GB SDHC = $50 shipped @ NE

DuronClocker

[H]ard|Gawd
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231461&Tpk=F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2

Tried to use the commission link, not sure if it worked right... doesn't look like it.

Anyways, this is the same stuff that was $40 last week but 1.25v instead of 1.5v.

I'd been holding out to pick up some 1.35v 8GB sticks, and this is even better than what I was looking for. Plus the 4GB SDHC & adapter will finally let me root my wife's old G1 :)

I know it's petty, but I just can't handle the styling of these sticks. I'm a dirty hippy environmentalist looking for power efficiency, the sniper motif seems ill-suited. I went with the Mushkin 1.35v recently, and the g-skill Eco before that. I haven't installed the Mushkin yet, but have been very happy with the 2 2x2GB Eco kits.

I'm with you, I don't like how they look either. I'm hoping the heatsinks either clear my CPU heatsink or are able to be removed easily.

I know it's petty, but I just can't handle the styling of these sticks. I'm a dirty hippy environmentalist looking for power efficiency, the sniper motif seems ill-suited. I went with the Mushkin 1.35v recently, and the g-skill Eco before that. I haven't installed the Mushkin yet, but have been very happy with the 2 2x2GB Eco kits.

I have the same heatsink on my ram, it looks horrible on newegg but in real life they don't look as bad. it just looks like a flat black heat sink you can't really make out the gun unless you get right in your pc.

I also have a set of these (same heatsink) and unless you look very VERY closely at them they look good in the case. Black matches everything. :p

If only they were CAS8 I would have definitely picked them up! :(

Still good deal!

do all boards supporting ddr3 support the low voltage ram? Im so used to looking for 1.5v i didnt even realize outside the server market any vendors offered lv dimm's.

Will these things be able to take 1.65v? If so, there's some crazy OC potential to be had

I'm probably missing something here. Can anyone explain the difference between 1.5V and 1.25V for memory? Obviously its .25 volts less to power the things on but what does that equate to in the real world?

For instance how much of a difference does it really make in terms of power usage? I can't imagine more than an amp or two of power going into these things each, and so even if it was a full amp each, P = V*I. So P = 1.5V * 2A (1Amp each module) * 2(memory modules) = 6 Watts compared to P = 1.25 * 2A * 2 = 5 Watts or 6 Watts compared to 5 Watts, or 12 vs 10 in the case that they're somehow drawing 2 Amps. It seems as though its pretty insignificant but is there something I'm missing other than power usage as to why these are better? Can you take the heatsinks off because its lower voltage? Does it result in higher memory overclocks? If its memory overclocks, from what I understand and maybe I'm wrong but I thought LGA1155 platform doesn't seem to benefit from something over DDR3 1600 and DDR3 1333 vs 1600 in performance is something like 3%? Is there a major advantage to running at DDR3 1866? I haven't looked at any benchmarks for 1333 vs 1600 vs 1866, personally I went with 1600 for my new build, but that's based on someone I know who looks at benchmarks. Was I misinformed? Is it just cause its lower voltage than the 1.5 V stuff and just as cheap so why not save on the power? What else am I missing here?

If it was a Class (10) 8gb MicroSD I might have bit but who wants a Class (4) 4gb MicroSD by PNY? Don't need the ram but might have bought anyways if the MicroSD was better.

I'm probably missing something here. Can anyone explain the difference between 1.5V and 1.25V for memory? Obviously its .25 volts less to power the things on but what does that equate to in the real world?

For instance how much of a difference does it really make in terms of power usage? I can't imagine more than an amp or two of power going into these things each, and so even if it was a full amp each, P = V*I. So P = 1.5V * 2A (1Amp each module) * 2(memory modules) = 6 Watts compared to P = 1.25 * 2A * 2 = 5 Watts or 6 Watts compared to 5 Watts, or 12 vs 10 in the case that they're somehow drawing 2 Amps. It seems as though its pretty insignificant but is there something I'm missing other than power usage as to why these are better? Can you take the heatsinks off because its lower voltage? Does it result in higher memory overclocks? If its memory overclocks, from what I understand and maybe I'm wrong but I thought LGA1155 platform doesn't seem to benefit from something over DDR3 1600 and DDR3 1333 vs 1600 in performance is something like 3%? Is there a major advantage to running at DDR3 1866? I haven't looked at any benchmarks for 1333 vs 1600 vs 1866, personally I went with 1600 for my new build, but that's based on someone I know who looks at benchmarks. Was I misinformed? Is it just cause its lower voltage than the 1.5 V stuff and just as cheap so why not save on the power? What else am I missing here?

Personally for me it's not about power usage per-say, as much as it is about how cool the sticks run. I sometimes have to build a very small cramped system with less-than-optimal cooling (as in little to no air movement from fans) and I'll try and make sure everything I put in is the coolest running available just to help avoid any potential heat problems.

I'm looking at it from the perspective of "lower stock voltage = possible higher overclocking with voltage adjustments"

Back