G.Skill memory timetable

carlmart

Gawd
My question might be unusual for someone living in the USA, but certainly not to readers living abroad.

I have a pair of G.Skill Trident X memory boards, and one is in trouble. Mine is the F3-1600C7D-16GTX type.

Sending it back is no problem, but it has to go the USA... and I live in Brazil.

So it will take a long time to go and come back.

In the meantime I am thinking of getting a short time replacement, that is not expensive, until the G.Skills come back.

How do I know what type should I look for?

Is the info data somewhere on the user manual?

Excuse me if this sounds too basic.

any ddr3 should do provided its not the smaller sodimm sticks for laptops

whats your mb? some are more fussy than others preferring double sided dims while a lot of new sticks are single rank

any ddr3 should do provided its not the smaller sodimm sticks for laptops

whats your mb? some are more fussy than others preferring double sided dims while a lot of new sticks are single rank

My mb is a Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7.

Memory was 16Gb (2 x 8Gb). I was thinking of doubling that too.

that mb should handle most ddr3 fine
if you need more than 16g go for it but most don't unless there video editing or something
it would be nice to get something of similar speed to the old kit so your not slowing the cpu by adding slow ram but im betting it would be hard to find another 1600c7 kit

Well, yes. from time to time I do some Avid video editing here.

For the usual tasks, 16Gb is more than enough. Even these past weeks, where I took the bad mem off, 8Gb seemed to handle things just fine.

But I will have to send the good board too, so I do have to come up with something to take care until the G.Skill mems come back.

In any case, what memory brand and type would you recommend for a step up?

This one I picked by looking at Newegg's user's opinions, which did prove excellent in the past.

well here is a few options
Ballistix Tactical 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLT8G3D1608DT2TXRG AUD$88
G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-2400C11D-16GSR $145
G.SKILL TridentX Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-2400C10D-16GTX AUD$213

the first will probably run with your existing without slowing it down to much
the next two have a different speed rating but if your willing to manually oc the ram the existing g.skill kit when it comes back it should pair up with them ok

there is a fair chance that g.skill wont have any more of that ram to replace your existing kit and will ask you to accept something else that they do have anyway so maybe you could get a 2400c10 kit from them as a replacement or maybe you could use it as a opportunity to upgrade to a ddr4 system

edit: sorry im in au so it defaulted to my currency but you get the idea

My mb can use DDR4 mems? Or by that you mean getting another mb?

Thanx for the DDR3 suggestions! What about the 32Gb options?

for 32g see how you go using your old sticks with the new ones when they come back from rma
fair chance all 4 will work together

yeah new cpu\mb for ddr4 just something to consider

This has been the mb that has lasted the most in the last 10 years or more. It was more expensive too.

It's been more than two years since I bought it, and I don't see much reason to upgrade yet. The gain would be just marginal.

A better video card might be better for video processing, as Avid uses the memory on the video card too.

So I better stick for DDR3.

If G.Skill sends new sticks I might get similar ones to increase memory.

Back